EasyJet - are these prices for real?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 17th, 2007, 01:27 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I've read about people recommending EasyJet on this board in the past. I went to their website for the first time and plugged in London to Berlin, Sept 30. Price - 8.99 pounds (plus taxes). How can they be making money at that rate, and with that in mind, how reliable can I expect them to be?

Thanks, Whitey
Old Jul 17th, 2007, 01:31 PM

I suspect that the final cost will be closer to £25 or £30, and it probably is non-refundable and non-transferrable once purchased. Still cheap. Expect to pay for anything on the plane, including water. But I've used them with no problems. If you wait too long, that fare will no longer exist.
Old Jul 17th, 2007, 01:33 PM

Yes they are, just google them - and the couple of dozen other low costs airlines in Europe let alone the ones around the world - including the US, Oz, etc.

www.whichbudget.com www.skyscanner.net

And it isn't "plus taxes", it's "plus taxes AND CHARGES", charges being what the airline puts into it's back pocket while laughing at the people who think all that money is going to a government so avoiding the blame when people moan about the final price

And whilst Easyjet do tend to use primary airports (ie ones people have heard of) you do have to take into account the cost of getting to & from airports on the date & time of travel
Old Jul 17th, 2007, 01:34 PM

and don't forget to check the baggage rules..another way to hem to make money.
Old Jul 17th, 2007, 01:39 PM

Easyjet are quite generous as long as you understand that when they say "20kg per passenger checked luggage" it means 20kg per passenger checked luggage and not 20kg times the number of bags you are checking
Old Jul 17th, 2007, 03:56 PM

Last summer our family went on a month long trip to Paris, Lisbon and England. I tried every imaginable way to find good fares in order to economize. A lady that I was communicating with about renting her house in Portugal actually recommended them to me. Sure enough, the price was right so we took it. There is no way we could have beat the price and/or time it would've taken to make the journey from one country to another.

So with that, I believe it ended up costing $400 usd for four one-way tickets from Paris to Lisbon, then Lisbon to Luton, England.

After flying to Paris on Virgin and BA, my kids couldn't understand why we now had to pay for food and drinks. They also found it odd that we had to rush to get seats together. I know, they have never flown Southwest airlines or the like. In addition, we had to weigh our bags and do some switching around just to make the limits. Was it all a pain? Only a little! Was it still worth it? IMHO, most definitely!

On our second leg we got smarter. We brought on our own drinks and food. We made sure to weigh all our bags before we ever stepped foot in line and we were even brought to the front of the line and checked in first (because we were traveling with the kids). I totally feel that I got my moneys worth and more.

As long as you are aware of what's coming and you can prepare, then you won't be disappointed. I actually feel like because I knew what to expect, that their service was pretty good quality for the price.
Old Jul 17th, 2007, 04:53 PM
Original Poster

It sounds like a no-brainer to me, I'll book it as soon as I'm positive on the dates. I assumethat easyjet is the largest of these no frills european airlines, and it's probably safest booking with them because there will more alternative flights should mine get cancelled?
Old Jul 17th, 2007, 05:35 PM

Tell the truth - what is the TOTAL price?
Old Jul 17th, 2007, 05:39 PM

I'm not interested in the base fares - I'm more interested in the TOTAL prices.

Example, BA offers lower base fares than others but their taxes and charges are much higher, and I end up finding cheaper prices on other airlines than BA.

Do not be misled buy "cheap" fares!
Old Jul 17th, 2007, 05:43 PM

easyjet is the 2nd largest low cost carrier in Europe. It has 106 A319 and 30 B737-700. Ryanair also has about 136 planes, but are slightly larger 737-800.

The fares are definitely real. In fact, Ryanair has plenty of 0.01£ fares if you book far advance. Once in a while, they'll even put out "negative price" fares where they are free even after taxes.
Old Jul 17th, 2007, 05:49 PM
Original Poster

The total fare is 25.99 pounds, very reasonable even when you factor in the exchange rate. I don't know how they do it with oil over $70 barrel.
Old Jul 17th, 2007, 06:06 PM
Original Poster

I looked at Ryanair for the same flight and it was 24 British pounds but the luggage limit was only 15 Kg (easyjet 20 Kg). The easyjet site also wanted to charge an additional 5 pounds unless you used a Visa electron, which I assume is a new, special credit card.
Old Jul 17th, 2007, 06:17 PM

No, a Visa electron is a debit card
Old Jul 17th, 2007, 07:31 PM

Well I am going to be the one who says that EasyJet prices are NOT what they appear at first glance.

I have always ended up paying more because of the time and the date I needed to fly with them. The EasyJet pricing model is a masterpiece of yield management. First, only some of the seats on the plane are really available at the advertised low price. Second, the time of day and the day of the week and the route have a heavy influence on the final price.

For example, I wanted to fly from Geneva to Edinburgh on August 27. I tried to get my ticket as far back as April. The few seats at the lowest price had already been sold, but quite a few remained at a higher price. I had no choice but to take them.

Two years ago I flew from Geneva to Gatwick. As it turned out, I had no money! US dollars were worthless. Only GB pounds, Swiss francs, or euro were accepted.

Yes easy jet is a low cost carrier, but the price you see the cheapest is often not the price you get. At least that has been my experience.
Old Jul 18th, 2007, 12:21 AM

bob_brown what are you talking about??
"but the price you see the cheapest is often not the price you get."
I didnt' get that. If you see a price then THAT'S the price you're going to pay. And YES there are few cheap seats and they get more expensive as the airplane starts to fill but that is exactly the point and concept of these airlines.
I have been to London several times with BA and with Easyjet. Sometimes Easyjet is even more expensive than BA if you don't book months before. (of course with BA there was always an hour delay in comparison to Easyjet where i have experienced zero delays). Also i've been to Berlin with 75€ return (all included) and that WAS an amazing fare.
So yes Whitey these fares are for real and IF you have found these cheap fares and you know the dates BOOK the tickets. (unless you can find cheaper with other airlines)

One more thing. Easyjet is transferable. You can change your ticket with a fee of 25€.
Old Jul 18th, 2007, 12:49 AM

Uh, you were in Europe. Why did you expect to use US $$?

Easy Jet is a great resource. Sometimes, it works, sometimes not. The fares are often lowest, but not always and it completely depends on when you are traveling. I use them frequently, as well as Ryanair. You get what you pay for which is low cost, cattle carrier type transportation. Usually, the total cost will be 2X -4X as much as the quoted price but it isn't any big deal as they always tell you total cost prior to booking.
Old Jul 18th, 2007, 12:56 AM

Getting a good price with budget airlines usually means planning ahead, and that means 6-9 months in accordance with when the schedules are first released. By the five month mark, the cheapest seats are likely gone forever.

Now and then carriers do have sales, even up to a few days before departure. So you can be lucky at any time, but most likely the longer you wait, the more you have to pay. But there is an uncertainty factor there, and just as with any airline, you have to decide to accept it and pony up for a ticket that seems like a good deal.

Anyway, with EasyJet, my experience is that they are just as good as any airline you might take on a short-haul flight. I think they compare quite favorably with Alaska Airlines, for example, although Alaska does have seat assignment (and at least the last time I flew them, some free food). But if you eat and drink just before departure, it's highly unlikely you will need to partake of the on-board offerings, and if you do spend 5 or 10 Euros on them, you're no doubt still far ahead.
Old Jul 18th, 2007, 01:06 AM

In general Ryanair is cheaper than Easyjet but their airports are frequently but not always further away from the city.See www.ryanair.com and compare.They have carried over 50 million passengers in the last twelve months. While I do not particularly like them- I would prefer a more comfortable seat- I use them a lot.
Old Jul 18th, 2007, 01:09 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Just flew with AirBerlin, another discount airlines. I flew from Zürich to Berlin.

Cost for 2 people roundtrip: SFr. 422.-A sandwich and a drink was included during both flights.

People travelling / flights:
Person 1 115,00
Person 2 115,00

ROUTE DATE FLIGHTTIMES FLIGHT BAGGAGE
ZRH TXL 10.07.07 11:15 12:40 AB8589 M 20KG
TXL ZRH 13.07.07 19:15 20:35 AB8198 M 20KG

SECURITY CHARGE 2 P. 38,00
KEROSENE SURCHARGE 2 P. 56,00

FINAL CHECK IN AT ZURICH:
45 MINUTES PRIOR TO DEPARTURE!
SECURITY CHARGE 2 P. 32,00
KEROSENE SURCHARGE FROM GERMANY 2 P. 56,00

FINAL CHECK IN AT BERLIN-TEGEL:
30 MINUTES PRIOR TO DEPARTURE!
*** AB-TIX - ELECTRONIC TICKET! ***
CREDITCARDCHARGE 10,00

Total price: CHF 422,00
Old Jul 18th, 2007, 03:15 AM

<<< I didnt' get that. If you see a price then THAT'S the price you're going to pay. >>>

You don't see the final price until the stage immediately before you pay for the booking

For example Gatwick to Glasgow on the 18th October - price you see is £4.99, then you see a price of £21.99 (£17.00 taxes and charges), then you add the fee for additional bags - £5 per bag, (price now £26.99) then you add 1.95% if you use a CC (min £4.95) which makes it £31.94

<<< One more thing. Easyjet is transferable. You can change your ticket with a fee of 25€. >>>

Plus any increase in ticket price

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -