easy jet luggage rules

Search

easy jet luggage rules

Search this Thread

Old Oct 28th, 2008, 06:09 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
easy jet luggage rules

The first leg of our trip we are in London then catch an Easy jet to Edinburgh. Heard the carry on limits are quite small, so had to scramble to find a carry on backpack that would fit in the overhead bin. Also checking through luggage, anyone have experience with Easy Jet on weight limits for both check through and carry ons".
Old Oct 28th, 2008, 10:21 PM

My experience is that your carryons must be smaller than the stated requirements. Don't be surprised if you have to check your luggage anyway.
Old Oct 29th, 2008, 12:42 AM

> Heard the carry on limits are quite small,

I would rather start by looking for info on easyjet site :
http://www.easyjet.com/EN/Planning/baggage.html

They have a dimention limit for carry-ons as above but do not weigh them. As long as you can manage your carry ons by yourself (you should not expect help) and they are within the size limit, you should be fine. On the other hand, you should really be careful with 20kg limit for checked-in luggage (said "hold luggage" on the site).

> checking through luggage, anyone have experience with Easy Jet on weight limits for both check through ..

Perhaps is it my language problem but I understand you don't do "checking through luggage" with EasyJet. They are purely point-to-point travel airline. "Through luggage" means to me like you fly e.g. JFK - LON - Edinburgh and luggage is checked at JFK through to Edinburgh (you don't touch it in LON) but that's no the case here.
Old Oct 29th, 2008, 01:11 AM
car

In my expierience easyjet has tighten the controls in regards with baggage allowance.
Kappa1 comment, that do not check weight in the carry on , is not precise I think that the actual limit is 10 kgs per item and I have seeing several times checking them, specialy if the item looks heavy or difficult to carry.
When you approach the check in counter for the luggage they do ask very frecuently to show your carry on luggage and put it on the scale.
In this complicated times for airlines a penny is a penny and they do not charge exactly pennies for the excess.
In Easyjet you can pay for some allowances in the web site that will result cheaper than the price at the airport.
Old Oct 29th, 2008, 01:43 AM

> Kappa1 comment, that do not check weight in the carry on , is not precise I think that the actual limit is 10 kgs ...

Easyjet used to say something like " we have the most generous carry-on luggage rule : As long as the size is within " ---- ", there is no weight limit within reason (whatever it means)." Hence my comment " as long as you can manage the luggage by yourself, I think I meant to say Don't make it look like it is very heavy.." On above URL I provided, this "no weight limit" is not mentione anymore BUT it dosn't say what is the maximum kilo acceptable either. They don't specify that part curiously. Perhaps they still try to follow "no weight limit (but dimention yes for carry-ons" rule. That's what I thought. I usually travel with only a carry-on when I fly with easyjet, then I can print my boarding cards myself at home and go direct to the gate. They never weigh my suitecase there. But I agree if you go via check-in counter, they might as well check your laggage when it looks very big and heavy.
Old Oct 29th, 2008, 02:15 AM

I think you should expect your carry on luggage to be weighed and pleasantly surprised if it isn´t.

My experience with easy jet and some of the other budget airlines is that the luggage may be weighed or not depending on the counter you go to - something you don´t always have control over or indeed notice. Several times I have seen one check in person weighing all carry on luggage and the person next to them weighing none.

Old Oct 29th, 2008, 02:58 AM

Car & Eliza, ok I found the following not in the luggage section but under "Why Fly Easyjet". Of course you understand better below what I meant to say above.

http://www.easyjet.com/EN/Planning/index.html

"No weight limit on hand baggage For extra speed and convenience easyJet has no weight restrictions on hand baggage. The only stipulation is that the maximum dimensions do not exceed 55x40x20cm and you must be able to lift the bag into the overhead lockers yourself!"
Old Oct 29th, 2008, 03:05 AM

I flew Easyjet in 2005 and at that time there was no weight limit on carry on - "As long as you can carry it you can bring it on board" of course the dimensions had to be correct.

Our check in luggage was overweight by only 1 or 2 kilos and we either had to lose it, put it into our carry on or pay the excess. 20 kg is the absolute maximum and it is excess fees after that!
Old Oct 29th, 2008, 07:54 AM
Original Poster

I paid for extra weight for my checked bag, hope that will suffice, still unsure if my carry on bag will fit, have computer and what not in it. Thanks for the heads up.
Old Oct 29th, 2008, 09:34 AM

Flew easyJet over and back to Bergerac from Southampton in mid-August.

Our carry-ons weren't weighed, but the check-in person asked to see them. Short of packing lead, I think it would be difficult to exceed the 10kg weight limit on carry-ons, given the dimension restrictions, but anything is possible.

Regarding the w/h/d dimensions, our carry-ons were just inside the limit but it was a job getting them in the overheads.

Regarding checked luggage, one of our bags was just under and one was just over the 20kg limit. The airline states it won't average the weight among folks flying together but our check-in person let the heavier bag go through without a charge and/or making us re-balance the two.

I wouldn't count on that, however.
Old Oct 29th, 2008, 09:47 AM

> I think it would be difficult to exceed the 10kg weight limit on carry-ons...

There is no 10kg limit rule with Easyjet, just to be clear.
Old Oct 29th, 2008, 10:16 AM

You're right, Kappa. We also flew Ryanair on the same holiday so maybe that's where I remember the 10kg limit.
Old Oct 29th, 2008, 10:58 AM

Yes, Cath, maybe Car above got the idea from Ryanair too.
Old Oct 30th, 2008, 01:02 AM
car

kappa 1
You are right regarding the carryon limit in easyjet it is not precisely limited to 10 kgs and I might be confusing with another airline.
But they mention "reasonable limit" and able to lift the bag...
These two limitations are complicated and obscure. So following the 10 +/- kg rule plus the size rule should keep you in the safe side.
Anyway the point of my comment was more oriented towards the extra care to be taken in order to avoid, if possible overweight charges.
Old Oct 30th, 2008, 03:05 AM

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
hi grumlin,

we fly easyjet fairly regularly, so I'll try to help.

checked luggage - 20kg limit per person. last time we travelled, you were allowed to "pool" but they may have stopped that. you will be charged heavily for any kilo or part thereof that you exceed the limit so it's a really good idea to make sure that you don't.

you can now get digital luggage scales to weigh your cases - ours were so accurate that they weighed exactly the same as the aiport check-in ones. if you take them with you, you can weigh the cases on the way back too.

carry-on - there is a stand thing [only description I can come up with] as you get to any easyjet check-in where you can make sure that your carry-on complies with the diminsion limits- you just drop it into the stand and if it fits, it's ok.

but if they see anything that looks excessive, they can ask you to check it, at which point you run the risk of excess baggage charges again. also, if you are flying from london, the airport itself MAY dictate that you should only have one piece of carry-on, including any handbags. thhe way round this is to make sure that there's enough room in your carry-on to slip your handbag in just as you go through secuity - once you're through you can take it out! daft or what?

they also still have the requirement that all liquids etc being carried on [not in checked lug gage] be placed in containers less than 300ml and be in a clear plastic bag.

once you are through security, you can have what liqids you like, which means that the duty-free and other air-side shops are making a fortune out of selling water and other drinks.

there is nothing to stop you taking through an EMPTY water bottle and filling it up from the taps in the toilets.

finally, easyjet now require you to state when you book the no. of bags that you'll be checking in. make sure that you have remembered what you said, because you'll get charged for any extra.

hope this [long screed] helps.

regards, ann
Old Oct 30th, 2008, 04:00 AM

Re. the 20Kg checked bag: this causes a lot of concern but I'm not sure how near most people will ever get with normal luggage. 20Kg is a heavy bag, it's about 44Lbs. To put it in context, at my work we've just had a delivery of rock-salt for the entrance way and steps over the winter - you've probably seen the big, heavy, unwieldy bags that they sell this stuff in. Those bags weigh 18Kg each.
Old Oct 30th, 2008, 04:58 AM

good point Pete.

we have occasionally got close to it by taking only one suitcase between the two of us.

now with the strict limits and charges for overweight, i prefer to take more and therefore hopefully lighter cases.

which leaves room for some overseas purchases - if we can afford them in these straightened times!

regards, ann
Old May 12th, 2009, 09:04 AM

I know this is an old thread. I searched for Easy Jet opinions as I've only ever flown Ryan Air but this time Easy Jet is a better fit. A thought occurred to me and I need my fellow Fodorites to affirm this idea.

Instead of worrying about going over the limit for the Easy Jet checked luggage rules - 20kg pp - and paying an extra 27Euro per 3kg, it appears much cheaper to me to pay for extra checked bags at 11Euros each. I can just pack a collapsible duffle into each of our bags and use that for the checked luggage weight limit. Does that sound right? Of course, now I have to be sure that I can fit all that extra weight back in my suitcase for the flight home from Europe!
Old May 13th, 2009, 02:54 AM

hi mom,

<<now I have to be sure that I can fit all that extra weight back in my suitcase for the flight home from Europe!>>

and carry it!!

remember that Easyjet DO allow "pooling" [ie aggregating all the baggage in a party together] unlike Ryanair, who will charge for excess even if the total weight is under the permitted totaal - eg 16 + 14 = excess, 15 + 15 doesn't.

so with easyjet for 4 people you can have 4 bags, with an aggregate weight of 80kgs.

regards, ann
Old Feb 29th, 2012, 04:30 AM

<i> I think it would be difficult to exceed the 10kg weight limit on carry-ons, given the dimension restrictions, but anything is possible. </i>

With 66l available (56x45x25cm) I could easily pack everything I need for a week long ski holiday (apart from skis & poles) or for a 2 week trekking holiday - in both cases the weight would be around 20kg