Easy France Itinerary

Search

Easy France Itinerary

Search this Thread

Old Nov 7th, 2021, 12:01 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Easy France Itinerary

We are going to France at the very end of April for 12 nights in country.

We land at CDG quite early and want to get a car. With the questionable car rental situations, we would like to get the car upon landing, keep it for about a week, and return to CDG if that saves money over Orly before training into Paris for our final days.

I had originally thought of going to Fontainebleau or Vaux le Vicomte upon landing and taking a day to rest and visit a chateau. We will leave from there to go to a rental for most of a week in Burgundy to see abbeys and cathedrals. Fontainebleau made sense directionally.

However, I'm thinking that Chantilly would be nice, but add an hour drive to our trip to Burgundy, although we don't mind a three or four hour drive. I want to stay someplace comfortable with a couple of dining options and I need suggestions.

We will end with a few days in Paris, scheduled around a performance.

I would go to Chartres or Reims, but we have been to both. Troyes seems like a far drive after flying.

All feedback appreciated. I've been ill and I'm trying to build in some comfort and ease.
Old Nov 7th, 2021, 04:21 PM

I would pick up a car at CDG & head to Fontainebleau. Visit Vaux le Vicomte on the way. Maybe the chateau at Fontainebleau the next morning. We did this a couple of years ago. Many good restaurants in Fontainebleau.

Returning, head to Dijon, return the car, then take one of the many 1 3/4 hr TGVs back to the Gare de Lyon in Paris. Done this many times also. It would have been a problem this year - but hopefully car rental offices will have their acts together in 2022.

Stu Dudley
Old Nov 7th, 2021, 10:49 PM

Fontainebleau and Vaux-le-Vicomte are a better combination than Chantilly. which, being north of Paris would probably add more than an hour to your drive to Burgundy. If not staying in Melun (closest to Vaux-le-Vicomte) or Fontainebleau, Sens would be the next town with a decent hotel off the market square in the center of town.

https://flic.kr/p/8pEYfUFrom this view the hotel is a few steps on your right and the cathedral is behind you.

https://flic.kr/p/8pEZwE