Eastern Europe Winter Trip

Old Sep 8th, 2016, 06:51 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Eastern Europe Winter Trip

Hello everyone! I am currently planning a trip to Eastern Europe this winter. I plan to visit Bucharest, Vilnius, Minsk, and maybe more over the course of eighteen days during my break from university. I can fly out of either Newark airport (EWR) or New York (JFK). I have looked into my different options and think that it may be best to fly into Stockholm and move from there, as there are cheap direct flights both from my starting point and to my next destinations. Does anyone have any suggestions on a possible itinerary, suggested added locations, etc.? Also, what is the likelihood of running into cancelled flights due to snowfall in these regions? Thank you!
Old Sep 8th, 2016, 07:52 PM

You are aware that there will not be much daylight at this time of year?

I believe Riga is only a 4 to 5 hour bus trip from Vilnius.
Old Sep 8th, 2016, 08:51 PM

A few winter visits during Iron Curtain days and post-revolution times have led me to believe that bitter cold and heavy snows are part of a miserable winter life in those Baltic countries and Belarus (and Ukraine and former USSR days, too).

Aside from that, in a March visit to the new Czech Republic we experienced one of the coldest and most uncomfortable wind-chill factors anywhere in the world....

BUT don't go by me...we are Southern Californians....for those parts of Europe, spring and early fall would be far better. Just my opinion, for your benefit.
Old Sep 9th, 2016, 04:45 AM

If it will help with your decision, my DIL is from Lithuania but now lives in the US (cold, snowy, northern part). They are visiting Lithuania next month and are taking a week out of their visit to fly to Greece where they can have nice vacation weather. She says even October can be cold and rainy. I too think this timing would be a miserable choice for a trip to the area. Do it in better weather.
Old Sep 9th, 2016, 06:54 AM
Original Poster

Thank you for your replies! Last winter I was in Bulgaria around this time. I felt it wasn't too bad there. Do you think the conditions would be about the same?
Old Sep 9th, 2016, 07:58 AM

What you are forgetting about is the difference in latitude between Bulgaria and Ukraine, Lithuania etc. Just take a look at a map an you will see that Bulgaria is about 43 degrees (the same as Florence and Nice) and Vilnius is 54 degrees. That makes a huge difference at this time of year.

"Winter

Vilnius goes through a very cold weather during the season of winter, November till March. The lakes, rivers are frozen when the temperature drops regularly and average low stands at -10°C. During January temperature in Vilnius to -15°C, it is the coldest month of the year. The month gets very poor level of sunshine, not more than 40 hours. Moreover, the season receives a little rainfall, which makes the weather more difficult for the tourists."
Old Sep 9th, 2016, 09:16 AM

>

Heck no. Way colder in Minsk and Vilnius. Vilnius is nearly on a line with Moscow and north of Warsaw. Want a North American comparison - Vilnius is further north than Edmonton. Do your trip in June.
Old Sep 9th, 2016, 04:26 PM

While planning my own trip, I just came across this fabulous site for planning for taking weather into consideration when planning a trip.

http://www.whereandwhen.net/when/eur...uania/vilnius/