What to do in the winter...

Old Oct 27th, 2004, 06:09 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
What to do in the winter...

We realize that we are crazy, but we will be leaving sunny Key West, FL and spending 2 months (Feb and March) in Europe. We will land in CDG and pick up a car - other than this, no other itinerary planned as yet. Are there any festivals, must sees, etc - anywhere -that will help keep our thinned blood toasty warm and our European winter interesting.
Old Oct 27th, 2004, 06:13 PM

What a great idea!!
If you are landing in Paris, will you stay there long?
Have you been to Europe before? Do you have anything that you feel you must see?
I believe the majority of festivals are in the summer, except of course, some winter/snow festivals..
You need to give more info..costs?countries? likes, dislikes?
Old Oct 27th, 2004, 06:26 PM

Do you need anyone to watch your place while you're gone? I'm not looking forward to another New England winter!
Old Oct 27th, 2004, 09:38 PM

I don't think that's crazy. I'm leaving Southern California for Europe for the 3rd straight Nov. Fall is my favorite season over there. Personally, I'm sick and tired of all the heat. I plan on retiring to Europe. The off season is the best time to go there. Cheaper airfares, fewer tourists. cooler weather. Give me a cool, breezy day in London over a hot miserable humid day in Southern California any day.
Old Oct 28th, 2004, 03:05 AM

Find the recent post on here about Carnaval; it's in early February (around Sunday 6th Feb). Don't know what age you are, or what you like to do, but if you like parties, parades and dressing up, this is for you!

I would go to Megeve in February or early March (actually, I do go there, every year in Feb or March). Nice village, some great restaurants, and good for those who don't ski as well as those who do. Don't go the week of Carnival, since some European countries have their school holidays then.
Old Oct 28th, 2004, 03:47 AM
Original Poster

Hi Scarlett. Yes we've been to Europe numerous times, in the spring and fall. We love France and Italy and one of our thoughts is using the time to look at properties while we are there. We will probably spend a couple of days in Paris before heading for our first trip to Normandy and Mont St. Michel. Probably then head south to the Loire, Dordogne and Provence area, along the coast to Monaco to pay my taxes and then to the Italian Riviera and down thru Tuscany to Rome and Positano - maybe then driving up the Adriatic side of the boot thru to Venice and then Vienna, Prague and into Germany.
Then the next week...
Old Oct 28th, 2004, 07:28 AM
ira

Hey Key,

You certainly planned that trip quickly.
Old Oct 28th, 2004, 10:10 AM

Positano? in January? We were there in August and talked to locals about visitng them off season..they said that almost everthing is closed...they work hard during the spring and summer and rest at winter(they words)...so make sure you will be OK there in Feb. Nice program though..BTW we are planning to go to Paris in January and wondering if anyone have a suggestions about indoor time spending...We are a middle age couple- He is a music prophessor and I'm likeminded nurse. So we are interested in exibitions, concerts and other cultural events. I Looked at the Opera site... OMG tickets price start at $250.00...so we ill hold off the opera.
Any input will be greatly appreciated.
Old Oct 28th, 2004, 05:58 PM
Original Poster

Well ira, we just go with the flow. A car gives a lot of flexibility and as we have no set schedule, we can travel to wherever we think will be interesting, which was the reason for the original post. We are actually looking forward to being able to see a lot of Europe without having to worry about tour buses.
One thought that came to mind was a spa week, possibly in the Czech Republic. Anyone have any experience or recommedations for European spas that will be operating in February.
Images of the Road to Wellville are alrady populating my feeble mind.
Old Oct 28th, 2004, 06:02 PM

Keywest,
Sounds great, can I come?
Old Oct 28th, 2004, 06:06 PM

I love travelling in winter time because only then can I say,
"Brrr...its cold. Lets go inside this cafe and have some pastries and coffee".
No one who is with me will disagree.
Old Oct 29th, 2004, 12:23 AM

Hi.
Mother of friend of mine went to the spa in Chehz Rep. I'm not sure what time of year was it but she was pleased and price was like $1000.00 all included( no air) for 3 weeks...
Old Oct 29th, 2004, 06:11 AM

For "what's going on" try this website: whatsonwhen.com. Kind of neat site for finding out what's happening anywhere in the world during any time period.
Old Oct 29th, 2004, 04:59 PM
Original Poster

Cool site. Thanks.
Old Oct 30th, 2004, 01:27 AM

Two months in Europe is NEVER "crazy"..get out of THAT mode of thinking right now...less crowded (depending on where you go) and probably cheaper than in high season. And since you obviously aren't as anal retentive about the plans as some seem to be you should have a great time. Hopefully you won't regret traveling by car. Have a great trip.