Eastern Europe Itinerary

Old May 4th, 2006, 11:35 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Eastern Europe Itinerary

Hi, we are dropping off a sailboat in Split and then have two weeks to travel before departing from Prague. I wanted to go down to Dubrovnik for day, then to Romania for about 4-5 days, then split the remaining time between the Budapest and area and Prague. Am I trying to do too much in 14 days and does anyone have any suggestions for a good itinerary? Thanks!
Old May 4th, 2006, 11:59 AM

You could go to Bucharest and then train to Brasov, Sibiu and Timisoara, but I am not sure that from there youwould find a convenient way to go to Budapest or Prague. I think that if you have extra days, it might be best to visit areas in Hungary or the Czech Republic outside their respective capitals.
Old May 4th, 2006, 12:04 PM

People tend to overlook it, but I think Bratislava is a nice, relatively non-touristy, and interesting city. You could go on your way from Budapest to Prague. 1-2 days should be sufficient.
Old May 6th, 2006, 10:46 PM

For Romania we suggest a private tour with a guide. It is the best way to see the hidden treasures of the country. We have visited Romania with Andrei Nicolau. He is an wonderful tour guide, speaking great English and knowing all things Romanian. He was able to offer a comprehensive tour. Excellent value for the money. We keep recommending him. Contact him at: [email protected] or over the at +40722576456.
Old May 7th, 2006, 03:23 AM

As you seem willing to re-think your itinerary, I will offer a purely personal recommendation:

Based on what I have read here, I would not choose Romania -- and certainly not choose it over the many other things there are to see in the more westerly parts of the region.

If I were seeing Split and Dubrovnik, I would likely want to travel up the incredible Adriatic coast to Trieste, perhaps even Venice. Then I would take the train to Vienna and then Budapest.

Alternatively, I would travel north from the coast (perhaps via Pecs in S. Hungary??) to reach Budapest.