Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Help Ingo and others - need special hotel in the Engadin

May 2nd, 2006, 05:35 PM
Original Poster

Hello all,

I thought we had everything sorted for our upcoming trip to Europe in July- August this summer but was just informed that the hotel Meisser does not have a double room available and the suite they have at USD 420 a night is out of our budget.

We are looking for a special place for 6 nights in the Engadin area. But since we will be with 2 small kids (2 and 6), and would be driving there from Castelrotto and would finally drive out of there to Munich we do not want the drives to exceed 3 hours.

We are looking for a special, charming place with some area around for the children to run about. We need a large double room where we can accomodate an additonal bed for our daughter (our son sleeps with us in our bed) and would be looking for a half-board arrangement. Our budget is about USD 250 a night.

The Waldhaus is too expensive and is also a bit more south than we need.

Thanks in advance for your replies.
May 3rd, 2006, 03:18 AM

Hi Deepa,

Until Ingo can reply, I can tell you that he has mentioned the Pension Val Tuoi in Guarda as his place in Guarda, and he has said that it's a family-oriented place. I would check that out.

Hey, congratulations on choosing Guarda -- it's a special place!

s
May 3rd, 2006, 08:02 AM

Like Swandav suggested, Pension Val Tuoi is an excellent choice - inexpensive and charming. They do have a family-studio and if I recall correctly they even have a family apartment (2 doubles connected).

I also saw recently that Chesa Vulpi next to the Pension Val Tuoi (an old house, restored) rents apartments with breakfast/hotel service run by the Pension Val Tuoi. These are listed as "Dependance Vulpi" on the Val Tuoi website.

www.pensionvaltuoi.ch

Another option is Hotel Astras in Scuol. www.astras.ch
Direct access to the spa, sunny balconies to the south with panoramic views, large and cosy rooms. Please note that the room rates include dinner and public transportation in the Lower Engadin/Müstair valley plus gondola/chair lift.

Good luck!
May 3rd, 2006, 05:16 PM
Original Poster

Thanks a lot for your replies. Since the Val Tuoi does not have a web site in english and not too many photgraphs, I wanted to ask which of the two ( Val tuoi or Astras) would be your recommendation? Also, do any of them have some open green areas outside the hotel? - This is ususally the place where one of us plays with the kids while the other finishes breakfast or finishes coffee

May 3rd, 2006, 05:38 PM
Original Poster

Ingo, I have gone through some of your earlier posts and have come across Hotel Piz Buin and Hotel Traube in Scoul. Which of these do you think is suitable? Our budget is EUR 250 or so for half board.
May 4th, 2006, 04:25 AM

They are all in your price range. Please note that most hotels quote rates in CHF, not in Euro.

The Traube is one of my favourites, but it is located right in the old town of Scuol and doesn't have a garden. Probably not suitable for you.

I have not stayed in the Piz Buin, but I ate there a couple of times and loved it. The hotel is located at the Eastern edge of Guarda, where the hiking paths begin. They have a large terrace and garden (with a pond). Ask for a room to East or South for good views (preferably with balcony). I think this hotel is what you are looking for.

Be prepared that Guarda is tiny and very quiet. Hope it won't get boring for you ... Scuol offers shops and restaurants, cafes, the spa etc. I don't think the Astras in Scuol has a garden, sorry.
May 4th, 2006, 11:28 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for your reply Ingo. I will ring the Piz Buin tonight. Does Guarda have no restaurants or cafes at all? How does it compare to say a small town like Castelrotto? Also, if you have time, please could you give me some ideas for day-trips in the area. Not more than 1-2 hours one way. Thanks
May 5th, 2006, 01:12 AM

Guarda is much smaller than Castelrotto. Guarda has the hotels Meisser and Piz Buin, the Pension Val Tuoi (all of them with restaurants, the Meisser and Piz Buin also cafe), some rental apartments in restored old houses, two other restaurants, two or three shops, a postal office, church - and that's it. It is definitely one of the most beautiful villages of the Alps with a fantastic location, but it is tiny.

Scuol is a bit larger than Castelrotto. If you are concerned it might be too quiet in Guarda, then Scuol is the best alternative. The hotels in Scuol usually have a large sunny terrace where you can have your coffee, but no garden - not enough space between the old houses.

For day trips: Definitely visit castle Tarasp (across the river from Scuol, guided tours only, a few times every week), which is good for a half day. Add a visit of Scuol (church and old town).

I'd recommend two day trips to the Upper Engadin around St. Moritz. One should include exploring Sils with its lakes and the Fex Valley (take a horse-drawn carriage), the other a Bernina Pass train ride (from Pontresina or Bernina-Diavolezza to Poschiavo and back).

I also recommend to do some (light) hiking - start in Guarda and hike up into Val Tuoi to the Tuoi hut, another option is the very easy hike (a walk!) to Ardez, continue to Ftan, take the chair lift up to Prui and walk to Motta Naluns. Take the gondola down to Scuol, back by train and bus to Guarda.

You should also watch out for "events" and "activities" offered by the tourist office etc. in the area. There is a small goat cheesery in Guarda and there are a lot of farmers who produce organic cheese, butter and meat in the area (e.g. in Sent). As far as I know there is a small market (beside the local shops/groceries) at the gondola station in Scuol once every week where they offer their products. Also, do not miss to taste a piece of the famous nut cake (Nusstorte).

If I recall correctly you'll arrive from the Dolomites, right? So you could see the convent Müstair on your way to the Engadin. If there is no time on the drive you could do a day trip by car as follows: Guarda - Scuol - Nauders (Austria) - Reschen (Italy) - Glurns (beautiful old town, castle Churburg and monastery Marienberg nearby, both worth to see) - Müstair (convent, back in Switzerland) - Ofen Pass - Zernez - Guarda. Total driving time about 3 - 4 hours, very scenic, lots of sights.

Ingo
May 7th, 2006, 03:31 AM
Original Poster

Thanks a ton Ingo for your very useful reply. Fortunately, out of the blue, the Hotel Meisser has resurrected itself and they now do have a nice double room for us, so we are staying there after all.

The goat cheesery in Guarda sounds lovely since both my husband and I love goat cheese.