Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Easter weekend 2007...any problems arriving in Paris and sight seeing?

Old Jul 13th, 2006, 04:56 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We are planning to leave Austrlia Easter weekend next year and fly into Paris.Are there going to be huge crowds or things closed over that weekend in Paris?
Thanks
Rosie C
Old Jul 13th, 2006, 07:57 AM

France is historically a Catholic country, but I don't think they 'observe' to the same degree as, for example, Italy. I would say it would be very difficult in Rome over Easter, but not so much in Paris.

I have seen that the Monday following Easter is considered a public holiday, so you might encounter some closings for both Sunday and Monday.

Our first visit to Paris ever was on their Labor Day holiday, yet we were busy all day. We just couldn't go inside any museums.
Old Jul 13th, 2006, 09:08 AM

I arrived in Paris on Easter Sunday this year (2006), and there was no problem at all. There was a web site that listed all the special closings for the holiday weekend, and there were none that affected us. For example, all the major museums kept to their normal schedule.

Taxis, Metro, buses, etc., ran as usual. Some more stores were closed than usual.

We didn't visit any of the churches on Easter Sunday, because we expected them to be super crowded, but they were were fine on Monday.

Ed
Old Jul 13th, 2006, 12:26 PM

We will also be in Paris over Easter weekend, 2007. We will arrive on the 6th and be there for a week. I have heard Notre Dame has a special artifact exhibit during this time. Can anyone tell me more about it?
Old Jul 13th, 2006, 01:02 PM

They have the Crown of Thorns and part of the "true cross" for pilgrims to kiss. It is in plexiglass and they wipe it between people with wipees. I believe it was part of a mass, but I missed that part. Since I was on my own I did not have a problem slithering thorough to a pew where I had a very good view. I went on Good Friday the year before last and it was very interesting to watch, even if you are not religious. There were many people from all over the world there.
Old Jul 13th, 2006, 01:11 PM

Hi

I didn't have the impression that it was more crowded than usual. My wife and I went there this year and I have posted a trip report with pictures and links on my homepage http://gardkarlsen.com/Paris_France.htm Maybe you can get an impression from reading that. Note that we left on the Saturday of the Easter weekend.

Regards
Gard
http://gardkarlsen.com - trip reports and pictures