Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Easter holidays for 16 days 9 to 24 April

Old Jan 7th, 2022, 08:02 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hello, thanks for all previous help re planning holidays that never transpire because of travel restrictions with covid rules.

We had a lovely holiday booked over Christmas in, mainly southern Spain (Seville, Granada, Cadiz, Madrid too, Toledo etc) when new covid travel rules were introduced here (UK) for the second christmas in a row so had to cancel, am so sick of it all.

Anyway, we are now planning about 16 nights over Easter. I fear it may be too hot to go to Seville at that time, am not a great sun worshipper - any ideas of where to go, don't really want to do anything long haul so probably Europe, maybe Georgia (but I don't fancy all the homestays there), perhaps Turkey but the hotels don't sound that wonderful there, love Egypt but have been there twice before, maybe France as hopefully that won't be too hot.

Would really appreciate your thoughts.
Old Jan 7th, 2022, 08:20 AM

How about Sicily, it shouldn’t be as hot there. Or Greece. One of my friends from Catania says April is beautiful in Sicily, with all the spring flowers in bloom. I believe it’s the same in Greece too. Croatia would also be a good option, several recent TRs have rekindled my interest and I’m seriously looking at it for next May.

Enjoy your planning, hopefully we’ll get to travel again this yesr..

Old Jan 7th, 2022, 08:51 AM
Original Poster

Thanks geetika, thanks for your suggestions. I have been to Sicily 2 or 3 times (I am trying to remember) so I don't fancy that, likewise Croatia (have been there too) - Greece may be an option: I have driven around the Peloponnese twice, and have been to Crete twice (although, could enjoy some of the many archaeology sites there as interested in that sort of thing!) - maybe northern Greece but I wonder about the weather at that time - any suggestions re northern Greece?
Old Jan 8th, 2022, 09:48 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I personally think southern Spain would be perfect at that time of year. It's not too hot (see historical averages: 22 C in Malaga) and the festivities will be in full swing. I'd certainly not pass up on such a wonderful opportunity.
Old Jan 8th, 2022, 10:15 AM

Received 50 Likes on 7 Posts
I certainly can't see April being too hot in Spain. It would be just about perfect for me. I'd stick to your Spain ideas.
Old Jan 8th, 2022, 12:57 PM

Originally Posted by janisj View Post
I certainly can't see April being too hot in Spain. It would be just about perfect for me. I'd stick to your Spain ideas.
I know it's not southern Spain, but we once encountered snow in Ávila‎ on the 1st of May.
Old Jan 8th, 2022, 01:18 PM

I agree with the others who say April in southern Spain will not be too hot. We visited Andalucia in September 2017 but I remember when I was doing my research thinking that April would be the perfect time to go weather-wise, not too hot. For personal reasons, it was better for us to go in September. So I would go to southern Spain as you have originally planned. Another choice could be Portugal. We visited Lisbon and Sintra in April in 2018, and the weather was perfect for us for sightseeing: 60's & 70's and sunny.
Old Jan 8th, 2022, 01:56 PM
Original Poster

Thank you all for the advice: I'm also thinking of Crete: love all that archaeological stuff - I have been there twice before and other than Knossos, have also taken in Phaistos as well as Gortys and Zaros. But, I think there is some interesting archaeological stuff the eastern Crete side, also in the south. Crete was a central trading stop-off between Egypt and Greece I believe.

I would appreciate some advice on this
Old Jan 9th, 2022, 12:58 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
I've battled snow drifts in northern Spain in April. Portugal on the coast can be cool in April.
Old Jan 9th, 2022, 05:31 AM

One thing caught my attention, the comment about hotels in Turkey not being wonderful. One of my favorite hotels is in Cappadocia, and there are some pretty fabulous hotels in Istanbul. They may be unique in style, but they are nice and service was excellent in the ones we stayed in. Don’t be afraid of not finding good hotels there. Besides, the food is amazing.
Old Jan 10th, 2022, 01:44 AM
Original Poster

Thank you all, after all I have been persuaded by you and am going to go to Spain after all.