Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Will we have a problem with train travel in Italy on April 23 (Easter) or April 25th (Liberation Day)?

Search

Will we have a problem with train travel in Italy on April 23 (Easter) or April 25th (Liberation Day)?

Search this Thread

Old Mar 8th, 2000, 04:57 PM
Amy

I'd really appreciate any help on this. Does the Italian Train System shut down or drastically reduce hours on Easter? We're going from Florence to Venice. I'm not sure what Liberation Day is, but I plan to travel on that day as well....from Venice to La Spezia. Thanks!

Old Mar 9th, 2000, 03:40 PM
Amy

Does anyone out there know this?

Old Mar 10th, 2000, 02:30 AM
Paulo

Assuming that no strike will be on in the dates you refer to, Amy, you may get a list of the schedulled trips bu using the FS site <BR>http://orario.fs-on-line.com/fsbinx/fsqueryx?lang=en <BR>Fill in the form with the names of the cities you're considering in Italian, plug in the date, leave the time windows blank and ... voila! On Easter day there appears to some cut in service but hardly noticeble in most lines. <BR>Paulo <BR> <BR>

Old Mar 10th, 2000, 10:00 AM
Amy

Paola, <BR> <BR>Thank you very much! That site is invaluable. <BR> <BR>I have one question. I've found the train schedule for Venice to Genoa, but when I ask for the schedule from Genoa to La Spezia, it asks me if I want the Centrale or the Migliarina. The train that stops at all the towns in the Cinque Terre is the one we want. Which one is that? <BR> <BR>Thank you! <BR> <BR>Amy

Old Mar 10th, 2000, 10:03 AM
Amy

Of course, I meant PaolO, not Paola!

Old Mar 12th, 2000, 09:06 AM
Paulo

Well, Amy, it would be La Spezia Centrale ... but I take it that you don't want to go all the way to La Spezia, right? The towns of the Cinque Terre are Monterosso, Vernazza, Corniglia, Manarola and Riomaggiore (in order, from Genova to La Spezia). As you may have noticed, there are a few trains (from Genova to La Spezia) that do not stop in any of this towns. There's a group of trains that stop only at Monterosso and Riomaggiore and there are trains that stop in all five. To have the complete picture, first plug Riomaggiore as your destination. Once again, leave the hour/minute windows blank. Once you get the list of trains, you may click, in order, the arrow in the left of your table, for each trip option. This will lead you to another window giving you some details of the trip, like train number. When you click on the train number, a window will open informing you all the stations where this train's going to stop ... If you want to know about all trains that stop in the 5 cities, choose Manarola as your destination ... as you may see, there are trains just a bout 1 hour appart. <BR> <BR>I may be wrong, here, but I guess you'll want to do some hiking, and maybe have a hiking/train ride mix ... You could take the train from Genova to Riomaggiore and hike, say, to Corniglia and from there take the train to Vernazza and/or Monterosso and then back to Genoa. In this case, you'd be interested in the list of trains that reach Riomaggiore from Genova and the list of trains from Manarola back to Genova (from Manarola to Monterosso trains take about 12 minutes). <BR> <BR>Paulo <BR> <BR>

Old Mar 12th, 2000, 09:48 AM
Aldo

I finally found someone on the boards that know of what he speaks. I refer to Paolo

Old Mar 13th, 2000, 07:39 AM
Amy

Paolo, <BR> <BR>I can't thank you enough. I'm going to print out this thread, and use it when I next visit that site. Grazie! <BR> <BR>Amy