Easily-accessible Alps Resort?

Sep 14th, 2009, 09:32 AM
Original Poster

Easily-accessible Alps Resort?

Hi all -

I'm trying to find an easily-accessible resort in the Alps from Paris. We've been looking at Interlaken/Murren, but I've heard feedback from some that may be unrealistic given a 4 day time frame (including travel from Paris).

Any other suggestions? Will be there in Mid October...and just looking for a picturesque area with hiking, etc.

Appreciate the help!
randa
Sep 14th, 2009, 09:53 AM

Hi LorRan,
We just left the Berner Oberland this morning after being there for 8 days. This is the area you are speaking of. You would need to allow one day each direction travel from Paris so this would leave you three nights and two days there? It's not much time but it's better than never seeing it at all.

It is a beautiful area. We absolutely fell in love with it. There are several shorter (approx 2 hr) hikes that you could tackle with your time schedule.

You can take the aerial cable car from Wengen up to Mannlichen, and then hike to Kleine Scheidegg. Then take the train back to where ever you are staying in the area.

Another hike we did was Allmendhubel to Murren. Take the aerial cable car and train to Murren from Lauterbrunnen and then take the funicular up to Allmendhubel. You hike back down to Murren and then return to Lauterbrunnen on the train/cable car.

Another 2 hr hike is from First to Gross Scheidegg. Ride the cable car from Grindlewald up to First. Hike from First to Gross Scheidegg and then take the Post bus back down to Grindlewald.

There is a wonderful transportation system in the BO, but you must allow travel time for this convenience.

If I can be of any other help...just ask.

Take care,
Michele
Sep 16th, 2009, 02:07 PM

If you're open to the French Alps, how about Chamonix?
TGV to Annecy takes about 3.5 hrs, then local train to Chamonix adds another 2:15 or so.

Hard to beat the highest mountain in the Alps?

hth
Sep 18th, 2009, 08:41 AM
Original Poster

Excellent info - thanks so much Michele and Flylow!

I've been to Chamonix - years ago, and it was breathtaking!

Thanks again! This definitely helps!
Sep 18th, 2009, 08:16 PM

I am very partial to the Berner Oberland. Not being able to get there this summer was tough to take, but this year it was not to be.

I think two good days there would be priceless.
Of course any trip to the mountains is always highly weather dependent.

I have done all the hikes Michele mentioned and I fully agree with her. None of them are too difficult and all of them lead to big time views.

From the crest of the Männlichen, a descending trail leads to Kleine Scheidegg. (Small Pass literally) From there many possibilities present themselves. You can return to Wengen by train. You can walk part of the way to Wengen and then continue by train. You can go up hill for close up views of the ice and snow around the Mönch and the Jungfrau.

On the other side of the valley around Mürren there are several options as well. The one I like is to hike a little to work up and appetite and then find a cafe with a good view of the Jungfrau and enjoy a good lunch or dinner.

From Paris to Wengen by train takes 6 hours and 20 minutes. I am assuming that your 4 day time gives you 3 nights in Switzerland.

You could leave Paris - Est at 6:44 and be in Wengen before 13:00 (1 pm). That would give you an afternoon to look around and become oriented. The following two days would be spent all in the Berner Oberland. The return travel day somewhat depends on when you need to be back.

If you can push your return arrival time back to early evening, say 6 to 8 pm Paris time, you could leave Wengen about noon and arrive in Paris about 6:30 pm.

A later schedule would put you back in Paris about 10 PM.

The train schedule for travel to Wengen is more favorable than the return trip. You can check out the train schedule most easily at www.sbb.ch
Sep 18th, 2009, 09:29 PM

TGVs go more or less fast from Paris to Annemasse, near Geneva, then subsonic to Moutiers and Bourg St Maurice (no change required).

At these two stops, buses meet the train: about half an hour up to places like Les Arcs, Courchevel, Val Thorens and Meribel
Sep 18th, 2009, 10:09 PM

> TGVs go more or less fast from Paris to Annemasse, near Geneva, then subsonic to Moutiers and Bourg St Maurice (no change required).

Those are for ski resorts and usually do not run out of ski season. October is not.

LorRan, do you want to do hiking? or just taking ropeways and mountain trains for great view?
Sep 19th, 2009, 01:35 AM

Another option is to train to Luzern (TGV to Basel, then train to Luzern) and catch a boat to the Burgenstock Park Hotel. The train journey takes 4 hours, 41 minutes, then it's about 30 minutes on the boat--a very scenic ride.
http://www.buergenstock-hotels.ch/en/willkommen.html

It's a very comfortable hotel with lovely views, a very good indoor pool, good hiking options, and is close enough to Luzern (by boat) that you could day trip into the city.

Almost all the spacious rooms have balconies with either a like or mountain view (we had the lake view, but the mountain view is just as nice, IMO). The hotel restaurant serves good food and there is also a tavern for informal, "country" meals.
Sep 19th, 2009, 07:37 AM

Hi LorRan
I'm hijacking to thank Bob Brown for all his wonderful advice regarding the BO. We stayed at Chalet Horner and absolutely loved it. Teresa says "Hi" by the way. It is a beautiful location and there was even more to do than our 8 days permitted. We can't wait to return in the future. Definitely one of the highlights of our 3 month trip. I agree, anytime at all that you can spend in the BO will be remembered fondly.
Take care,
Michele
Sep 19th, 2009, 08:34 PM

Well I will do a second hijacking! Thanks Michele.
Not being able to go to Switzerland this summer because of health problems was a real downer. I may go next year despite what my doctor tells me!!

I promise you that if you go back, you can revisit some of the same places and find a few new ones and not regret any of it.
I have been there several times and we keep going back for more.
Sep 20th, 2009, 11:25 AM

bookmarking