Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Traveling to Italy or London for Spring Break- need advice!!!

Sep 18th, 2009, 03:14 PM
Original Poster

Hi! My boyfriend and I are wanting to travel to either London or Italy for spring break this year. I am a little lost on where to start my planning! Our dates are April 2nd through the 10th. I don't know what is a good deal for flights and hotels. Please give me any advice you have! Thank you!!
Sep 18th, 2009, 04:00 PM

Without knowing what you two are interested in jess it is rather difficult to give any advice.

Personally I would opt for Italy but that is because I "love Italy" and have many people in Italy that I am really missing.

You need to check out flight fares, it might be a bit early for spring however I would think.

Whatever you decide when you book your flights do be sure to sign up for the airlines frequent flyer program.

And if you decide on Italy do check out the multi-city flights where you fly into one airport and home from another airport so you are not backtracking. Btw, with the dates you have given, does that include your flying time? If so you will have two days less for time in either London or Italy. Best regards.
Sep 18th, 2009, 05:35 PM
rex

Hijacking this thread (since yours is the only response, loveitaly) to ask you to write to me. I can let you know the URL of that thread (the hospital in Meaux).

Best wishes,

Rex
[email protected]
Sep 18th, 2009, 05:45 PM

Well, those are two entirely different countries and you haven't offered any information on what you are actually seeking to experience, so not sure how anyone can help you. Why did you settle on those two places? What's your budget? What would you want to do and see in either place?
Sep 18th, 2009, 05:49 PM

I saw your message Rex, and I will email you! I am glad I again clicked on this thread.
Sep 18th, 2009, 05:58 PM

Also - when would you be there and what kind of weather do you like. Depending on when it is it could still be fairly chilly in London, while Italy is likely to be somewhat warmer - esp if you head to the south.

You really need to provide more info.

I would start now looking at air fares and hotels to get an idea of budget (this won;t cost anything like a week in Mexico or the Carib).
Sep 19th, 2009, 02:29 AM

You are planning to start with the Easter Holiday weekend. You will be competing with everyone in Europe and those resident in London and Italy who want to take a holiday at the same time. If you are interested in politics Britain should be interesting as we head towards local and probably national elections.
Sep 19th, 2009, 02:44 AM

Helen: a small wager

I'll bet Brown (for he'll still be there) won't even have called the election by April 2. Far from being interesting, the British media will be at their phoney-war worst, with "when's he going to call it?" (answer: after the Easter round of spring party conferences) the only story, and nothing in public being anything like what it seems to an outsider.
Sep 19th, 2009, 03:12 PM

Flanner I agree politicking will be exceedingly tedious for the natives but it might be entertaining for visitors, especially if they are students of politics. Locally where we have a finely balanced "partnership" council they are already attacking each other and point scoring in advance of the May elections. Newspaper editors must be thanking the gods for something that might keep up their circulation.

I used to have a colleague who was an Indonesian, he was the only one who read all the newspapers and followed the arguments, the actual potential voters tended to block it out.
Sep 19th, 2009, 03:55 PM

I suggest that you check both areas for average daily temperature, days without rain, and time of sunrise and sunset in each area. That may make a difference in your decision.

A friend went to England in November and said that it was dark until 8:00 and the sun set at about 4:00. I don't know how this will affect April, but I'd check.
Sep 19th, 2009, 06:08 PM

As everyone else has said, what are you interested in? What made you come up with Italy or London in the first place? Also, what is your budget?

Are you both comfortable with going somewhere other than an English speaking country? I ask because spring break generally means you're fairly young, and a lot of younger people haven't had a chance to travel internationally and are more likely to be uncomfortable with a (most likely) language barrier. It's often easier to start foreign travel adventures in an english speaking country.
Sep 19th, 2009, 08:35 PM

"A friend went to England in November and said that it was dark until 8:00 and the sun set at about 4:00. I don't know how this will affect April,"

Not one jot or tittle.

Things might be different on the planet where Peogotheroad lives. But here on Earth, what with all that tilted axis rotating round the sun stuff, days in the northern hemisphere are a deal longer in April than in November

And of course, in the far frozen north where Britain is located, a very, very, great deal longer.
Sep 20th, 2009, 02:06 AM

The length of the day will be the same as the equivalent North American area on the same degree of latitude, except for the possible different dates for the start of daylight saving between the US and Europe. Rome is 41 degrees North and London is 51.32 degrees North. Daylight saving in Europe begins on 28 March in 2010.

London England (as opposed to Ontario) is equivalent to Calgary and Rome would correspond to New York. Which is why young americans favour Florida which corresponds with North Africa in latitude.
Sep 20th, 2009, 02:14 AM

For a full 8 days go to Italy, if only because the food here is so much better
Sep 20th, 2009, 08:17 AM
Original Poster

Thank you for all of the responses!

Yes, we are a young couple looking to have a "different" spring break than what the "normal" is. I would like to go somewhere with nice weather -- I'm not looking to tan in the sun but I would rather it not be raining everyday.

We really just want to site see and do the tourist thing. We are Catholic so I thought being in Italy on Easter would be amazing. Language barriers don't bother us, we can manage pretty well. We are on a tight budget but we do not want to slum it in a foreign country.

If anyone has advice on good hotels that you have used, or if there are any travel packages out there.

Thanks again!
Sep 20th, 2009, 11:33 AM

It sounds to me like Italy is the way to go. Check and see whether youth hostels have any availability. They'll be much cheaper and you'll get to meet other college students from all over the world. I always go through Hosteling International, since they seem to have some fairly rigorous standards for safety and cleanliness. If you stay in Rome and take a couple of trips out to other parts of the country, you will have an absolute blast.
Sep 20th, 2009, 11:59 AM

we visited Rome and Venice at Easter in two consecutive years. so far as the crowds go, rome is mad - but I've never ben there any other ime, so for all i know, they always are.
Venice was crowded, but not unbearably so, and it was easy to escape the crush once you got off the main tourist paths.

and it was very easy to get into the easter day mass in St. Mark's - much easier than trying to get to the equivalent service in Rome.

you could start off in venice, then catch a train to Rome, in the time yu've got available.