Easiest way to send photo eq. to the hotel

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 27th, 2016, 02:25 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi, i'm going to visit Frankfurt in next 3 weeks to makes some photos for my project. I have to much equipment to take it by plane with me. So I'm planning to send it from Ukraine. Any ideas how to send it safe and in possibly the cheapest way?
Old Jun 27th, 2016, 05:18 PM
J62

Do you know someone in Frankfurt you could mail it to?

Or maybe ship it to yourself for later pickup at a local DHL office?

Here in the US I can mail a package to myself to pick up at the destination post office. For expensive photo equipment I would think you'd want package tracking, so that may not be a good option for you.
Old Jun 27th, 2016, 10:25 PM

DHL or Hermes will probably be the cheapest option.
Old Jun 27th, 2016, 10:32 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Yes you want tracking and you want insurance.
Old Jun 27th, 2016, 10:34 PM

<i>Yes you want tracking and you want insurance.</i>

Absolutely
Old Jun 28th, 2016, 03:45 AM

The cynic in me sees this as another disguised advert.

Professional photographers fly all their gear with them. They carry on what the can and check stuff they can afford to miss, and have it well insured, or for more civilised places (such as Frankfurt) they arrange to rent gear on arrival.

I am a keen amateur, and carry on my photography gear, and check my clothes. I don't care if they get lost, but I do care about my gear. I can easily carry on a couple of bodies and selection of lenses, flash, laptop, and tripod in a carry-on legal bag.
Old Jun 28th, 2016, 04:57 AM

Well the OP has posted before and not about shipping - so not sure if a troll.

But must admit that the ides of a prof photographer shipping their gear is extremely odd - if anything goes wrong (loss or damage is perfectly possible) does seem very cavalier.
Old Jun 28th, 2016, 05:40 AM

Professionals never ship, unless backup equipment is traveling with them. The key to making sure your project runs smoothly is to reduce the possibility of being without equipment on Day 1 of the schedule.

If your package is lost, stolen, mishandled, or held for other reasons, no insurance policy will provide immediate replacement. Without equipment on Day 1, your project will not proceed as planned.

Most pro photographers pay extra baggage charges to check their pro bags. The carry-on weight limit is so restrictive in Europe, there is absolutely no way, in this age of digital, to get all your electronic equipment into a carry-on. The bag will be too heavy.

Pro photographers pay a lot of money to work these days when air travel is required. Many left the business because of these costs and hassles. Don't see much change on the horizon anytime soon.
Old Jun 28th, 2016, 09:01 AM

Why would a random person decide to be a troll to post some oddball question on Fodors about shipping photo equipment? Such a bizarre accusation.

The OP never said he or she was a professional photographer, either.

Where I live, shipping something to yourself and expecting it to be safely kept at the post office would be very hit or miss, I would never do it for something valuable.
Old Jun 28th, 2016, 09:12 AM

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
I would pay to take it on the plane with me.
Old Jun 28th, 2016, 09:12 AM

Received 50 Likes on 7 Posts
>>Well the OP has posted before and not about shipping - so not sure if a troll.<<

Totally fake . . . Look at the other thread -- the ONLY person to post to it was Akuma . . . and that is the ONLY other thread Akuma has ever posted to
Old Jun 28th, 2016, 09:13 AM

Received 50 Likes on 7 Posts
And no, Christina - I don't label <i>everyone</i> a troll.

But this tag team . . . you make the call.
Old Jun 29th, 2016, 07:14 AM

<i><font color=#555555>"The OP never said he or she was a professional photographer, either."</font></i>

So what? Are you creating a litmus test for responses now?

Photography is a unique category for questions. It attracts professionals, serious amateurs, amateurs, and hobbyists. I won't even mention the cell phone peons. Whenever one of these individuals travels with equipment, the details of the experience tend to be shared.

A "professional" perspective offers the maximum tolerance. Unless you're Annie Leibovitz, and Vanity Fair is picking up the bill, professionals tend to do whatever they safely can to save money and bend some ridiculous rules. But they also understand that if equipment isn't there when they need it, the job (whether for pay or self-created for fun) won't get done.

IMO, it doesn't matter if the OP is fake. It's a question that can help other photographers, no matter what level.