Search

Easiest way from Capri to Ravello?

Search this Thread

Old Feb 29th, 2004, 11:23 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Easiest way from Capri to Ravello?

Hello,

What is the easiest way to get from Capri to Ravello? Cost and length of time?

Thanks!
Old Mar 1st, 2004, 12:09 AM

By far the easiest way to make this trip is by ferry to Amalfi, then bus up the hill to Ravello.

The ferry takes about 1 - 1.5 hours; very scenic ride. Cost is about 15-18 Euros, depending on whether you take a regular ferry or hydrofoil. There are several departures from Capri for Amalfi spread through the day. I think more than one company runs this route. See the web site below for a ferry schedule (but from last summer).

http://www.amalficoastweb.com/amalfi...t_ferries.html

From Amalfi, it is a 20 minute bus ride up to Ravello. Buses run about every 20 minutes through the day.

You don't say when you are going: watch out for ferries being sold out before departure time if you are going in July or August.

Ciao!
Old Mar 1st, 2004, 07:27 AM

Can I jump on this one?
Once you get off the hydrofoil or ferry in Amalfi is the bus right there? Do you pay on the bus or need tickets in advance? Correct change only? Cost?
Also, does anybody know how I can find the schedule for ferries or hydrofoils from Ischia to Amalfi in early June, or will we have to change in Capri? I've searched the various links I've found, but can't come up with anything about Ischia to Amalfi, yet I thought there were some.
Old Mar 1st, 2004, 12:02 PM

Patrick, when you get off the ferry at Amalfi, there is a large (open-air) bus depot right there. As I recall, there is a ticket kiosk where you can buy our ticket, so they make change. Cost is minimal; this is SITA, the state-run bus system, so about 1 - 1.5 Euros I believe. Be sure you are getting on the right bus; during any short period there will be a half dozen or so buses leaving for Positan, Salerno, Sorrento, etc., etc. The Ravello bus is always a quite small vehicle; it has to be to negotiate the hairpin turns going up the mountain!

Although I haven't done any exhaustive search, I don't believe you can ferry directly between Ischia and Amalfi. The most convenient transfer point would likely be Captri (compact ferry terminal, and less going out of your way than via Sorrento). In summer the ferries to and from Capri can be quite crowded; allow some time to buy a ticket a bit ahead of your desired departure time.
Old Mar 1st, 2004, 12:06 PM

When you get off the boat in Amalfi,the bus station is right in front of you,however you must purchase your ticket before you board the bus and then validate once on the bus. Buy your tickets from the Bar across the road from the bus station. For Ischia go to WWW.ischiaonline.it.
Old Mar 1st, 2004, 12:32 PM

And do they balk on these little busses with each of us having a large suitcase plus a backback or carryon?
The last time I rode a SITA bus from Amalfi to Positano there wasn't even room to sit -- we were packed in like sardines -- so I don't know how we'd deal with luggage, or do they put it below?
Old Mar 1st, 2004, 12:34 PM

And sorry, walkamalfi, but I've exhausted the ischia on line site, without any infor about ferries to Amalfi. Guess maybe Rover is right that there just aren't any, but I had read somewhere that there were some, but maybe they just stopped in Capri. Otherwise, guess we'll transfer there.
Old Mar 1st, 2004, 01:02 PM

Ciao,

You will have to change boats in Capri and on the buses there are lockers below the bus as you thought.
Old Mar 1st, 2004, 01:15 PM

Thanks, that is reassuring.

By the way, your name (walkamalfi) reminds me that you must be the expert. I've downloaded information on the Path of the Gods hike. Any tips? We'll really only be in Ravello two nights, so plan to make that hike our main "entertainment" for our full day. My information shows starting in Agerola and going to Postitano which supposedly takes three hours. Is there another starting point, maybe even further that we could use that is closer to Ravello? Or how do we get to a good starting point? We won't have a car by the way as you can guess from my previous post.
Old Mar 2nd, 2004, 05:04 AM

Ciao Patrick,

The best way to access the Sentiero degli Dei walk is to first of all commence a walk from Bomerano,Agerola (which is reached by bus from Amalfi)to Colle la Sera which is an easy 1hr walk. The Path of the Gods walk commences properly from Colle la Serra to Nocelle and is an easy 2hr walk. From the shrine in Nocelle you take the steps down to the church of Santa Croce and then further steps lead down to the Coast road where you turn right for Positano (this section is a further 1hr30mins).Please ensure that you take an adequate supply of water with you and if possible try to get a local to cut a walking stick for you.

There are also several walks from Ravello and you might consider the one that takes in ,Santa Caterina,Scala, Minuta, Pontone (for the Torre dello Ziro) down to either Atrani or Amalfi.
The tourist office in Ravello has a printed list of walks that you might find interesting.
Old Mar 2nd, 2004, 05:38 AM

Boat services around the Bay of Naples are run by several companies and change from week to week, so there is no way of being certain what services will be operating on a given date. All are subject to the weather, so you need to check what is running when you're there. In summer, there are normally several services a day from Capri to Amalfi. From Ischia to Amalfi, there are certainly excursion boats. Capitan Morgan (www.capitanmorgan.it), for example, has a boat from Ischia at 0915 to Amalfi on some days.
Old Mar 2nd, 2004, 12:43 PM
yk

Patrick-

Regarding the luggage issue:
It depends on which kind of bus they use for the route. Last time when I took the SITA bus from Sorrento to Amalfi, it was one that has space for luggage below the bus. However, the bus from Amalfi to Salerno was more like a "city bus". And yes, the whole bus was full, so my friend and I sort of stuffed our bags underneath our feet. We were fortunate to have seats (this was Nov 03).
I guess my suggestion for you: pack light!
Old Apr 5th, 2004, 03:21 AM

ttp