Search

Early stage of planning - need advice

Search this Thread

Old Sep 10th, 2008, 02:40 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Early stage of planning - need advice

Hi Everyone,

I have been bugging my husband to go to Europe with me and he has finally agreed/given in. We're not going until next September but I want to get things booked as soon as they become available. A few basic decisions that I'd like your opinions on:

I'm thinking Rome 3-4 days, Florence 1 week and Venice 2-3 days. The plan being that while in Florence we have a home base and explore the surrounding areas. I missed Pompeii last time in Italy so that is high on my list, thus the possible 4th day in Rome.

Questions:

Does it seem reasonable to fly into Rome, use taxis, buses, walk while there - rent a car as we leave for the Florence/Tuscany week and then drop the car off in Venice for a final 2-3 days of walking before flying out of Venice? My first thought was getting a rail pass but that limits all the little stops here and there or seeing something beautiful and stopping to take a look. Is that realistic or am I in fantasy land?

Does a full week in the Florence/Tuscany area seem too long? I'm thinking Pisa, Bologna, Parma etc. but not sure if that is realistic or not. I haven't quite gotten a feel for the distance yet.

I also keep hearing about renting apartments/condos instead of hotel rooms and I thought that might be best for the week long stretch - opinions?

I have seen the posts about AutoEurope - thanks. Is it expensive beyond rental fees - gas, parking etc.?

I have a lot more questions but I'll look through past posts first rather than have people answer the same questions over and over.

I look forward to planning with all of your wisdom and experience!
Old Sep 10th, 2008, 03:01 PM

I've never been to Tuscany, but an author friend of mine who has a house there says it's a great place to kick back and relax in the 18th Century. I'll have to take him up on it some time.
Old Sep 10th, 2008, 03:16 PM

I would firm up your itinerary first before considering a car rental. The places you mention (Florence, Pisa, Bologna) can easily be done by train and a car would be a handicap in cities. Pisa is only an hour from Florence and you can visit Bologna en route to Venice.

When people mention having a car in Tuscany they're usually referring to small towns that are not easily accessible via public transportation. But that's not the case here.

If you're flying into Rome you might want to consider adding a day as the first day you won't get much sightseeing done because of settling in and jet lag (depending on where your coming from). Pompeii could be done from Rome as it's about 3 hours away (including train connection time). It's a very long day trip from Rome - approx 6 hours transporation time and then seeing the ruins.

You mention "adding little stops here and there." Once you start adding more places to your itinerary you'll be spending most of your time getting to and from them and seeing very little. You have about 2 weeks of time and you already have more places than you may be able to cover. Looks like 7 places in 14 days. Every time you move hotels you'll spend time packing/unpacking getting to and from them. That will take away from your leisure time.

Rome
Pompeii
Florence
Pisa
Bologna
Parma
Venice

Make a list of the places that are important to you and prioritize them. If you run your husband ragged on the first trip you may not get another one! Make him go home wanting more!
Old Sep 10th, 2008, 03:24 PM

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
Hi Born,

I like your basic plan, especially the week in tuscany in the middle - you will probably appreciate the treasures of Rome and Venice so much more than if you were trying to cram eveything in at once.

that said, I would think twice about pompeii this trip - it's a very long day from rome and much better combined with a tri pto the amalfi coast. you could do a 1/2 day trip to ostia antica instead while you were in rome - it's quite easy to get to and very interesting when you get there.

to answer your specaific questions, it's a VERY good idea not to have a car in Rome - many people get the train to orvieto, spend some time or even a night there, then pick up a car the next day, which means not driving in Rome itself at all. you then just drop it off at the garage at the piazzale Roma in venice, hop and the vaporetto, and off you go.

Your idea of a week in Tuscany is also a good one, but Parma and bolgna aren't in tuscany. you could still visit them on the way to Venice if you like, but you're cutting into your week.

you might like to think about staying in an agriturismo in Tuscany, rather than an apartment per se - but you are right that to see the countryside at all, you'll need a car.

for this first visit I'd forget about Bologna and Parma, and concentrate on your three main destinations. that way, you'll have such a good time you'll want to come back!

hope this helps,

regards, ann
Old Sep 10th, 2008, 03:34 PM

Do not use Florence and Tuscany as the same place. You will likely need 2 places to see both well.
I would do this:

Land Rome---4 nites
Train to Florence--2 nites
Get car--to rural Tuscany--4 nites
Drive to Venice--drop car--3 nites
Fly home from venice.

That is 4 destinations and all you should try in 2 weeks. Good luck !
Old Sep 10th, 2008, 03:43 PM

My wife and I rented a car and a rural cottage about ten miles outside Sienna which is central,and which you should not miss.We visited Pisa and Florence and lots of lovely hill villages in Tuscany. Spend a week there. I have also been to Rome and walked to most of the tourist sights.
Old Sep 10th, 2008, 06:05 PM

Sounds great. You do have plenty of time to plan. What fun!

Check out these videos of Tuscany while you are planning:

http://www.webvisionitaly.com/category.php?id=241

Videos of new hill towns coming all the time, like this new one from Volterra:

http://www.webvisionitaly.com/catego...p;ref_item=398

Parma and Bologna are in Emilia Romagna region, also beautiful. Here's a little video about Parma:

http://www.webvisionitaly.com/catego...p;ref_item=380

If you drive to Venice, plan to stop in Padua (Padova):

http://www.webvisionitaly.com/catego...p;ref_item=393

the Scrovegni Chappel is in Padua too:

http://www.webvisionitaly.com/catego...p;ref_item=397
Old Sep 10th, 2008, 06:45 PM

Hey Born2Roam!!!

What about taking a Contiki Holidays trip? They have perfect regional tours of Italy that would solve all your transportation and accommodation problems! You and your husband can explore the city with the tour and then have the freedom to do what you want like visit museums or go gondola riding

Check out their website:
www.contiki.com

The two regional trips of Italy are called Italian Espresso and Simply Italy. Good luck!!!

-Nikita
Old Sep 10th, 2008, 06:50 PM

Go away Nikita--no advertising on this site,
Old Sep 10th, 2008, 06:51 PM
Original Poster

Nikita,

I went on a Contiki tour myself 10 years ago - it was great but this time I want to do it on my own.

It's not that we're having transportation/accomodation problems - just trying to work out what we need, don't need, will save us money etc. I recommend Contiki to any first timers - a good chance to sample the countries/cities and figure out what you want to see again. I haven't stopped thinking about a return visit to Italy since.
Old Sep 10th, 2008, 06:53 PM
Original Poster

Thanks Bob......I thought she was trying to helpful. Duh!
Old Sep 10th, 2008, 07:18 PM

Born

Bobthenavigator's suggestion sounds like a really good one to me.

We have visited Rome many times but still have trouble when we are coming or leaving in a car. By going to Florence from Rome on the train, you will save yourself a ton of hassle. Plus, you don't want a car in Florence.

You don't need a rail pass.
Old Sep 11th, 2008, 04:31 AM
ira

Bi B2,

Since Pompeii is a must, I suggest that you

fly into Venice - 3 nights
pick up the car at Piazzale Rome

visit Tuscany - 5 nights

Drive to Sorrento - 2 nights
Drop the car upon arrival
Visit Pompeii and see the Amalfi Coast

Take the Circumvesuviana to Naples (or hire a limo) and the train to Rome - 3 nights

Fly home.

I would skip Rome and visit the AC instead. Then fly home from Naples.

Enjoy Italy.

Old Sep 11th, 2008, 08:51 AM

I think the overall plan is good - but wouldn;t do so many day trips from Florence. I would rent the car, see several places in Tuscany (while using one of the small towns as a home base) then head to Florence.

If you just want to do just Florence/Venice then drop the car there and take the train. If you want to stop betwen the two - Verona for exampe, then keep the car and drop it when you get to Venice.
Old Sep 12th, 2008, 12:03 PM

As for apartments, YES! We love having an apartment because you have more room, you can eat breakfast without getting dressed up, you can save by eating some dinners in, etc.

We stayed here in Rome http://www.sleepinitaly.com/files/apt_giulia-gold.html and liked it a lot. It is really roomy and nicely furnished and clean and quiet. It's at 98 Via Giulia about halfway between Castel Sant'Angelo and Campo de'Fiori.

Old Sep 12th, 2008, 12:30 PM

Even if going by train an Italian Railpass would not be economical nearly for just those train rides - not nearly dismiss that notion. Point to point tickets - www.trenitalia.com for schedules and fares. No problem buying as you go - so many trains.
Old Sep 12th, 2008, 12:46 PM

Obviously, many takes on how to spend those 2 weeks, and no consensus.

So, in light of that, look at yourselves.

If you like driving abroad (or driving in general) include a segment of it in your trip. Do the rest by train. Work it out so you never bring a car into any major city, except possibly to or from the car rental. (I had no trouble getting out of Rome when renting there, though some advise strictly against it.) It depends on your needs.

As far as where to go, obviously (again) Italy is an embarrassment of riches. So make a list of what you want most to see and do, and be generous. Then, as you make a plan, edit that list. No way can anyone do it "all" in a couple of weeks or a couple of months. There is always more.
Old Sep 12th, 2008, 02:45 PM

I would have felt very cheated had I not done Pompeii on our trip. We stayed 4 days in Rome and we took a bus tour to Pompeii one day. It was not a really excessively long trip and as we were on a tour we just laid back and enjoyed the ride. (I know the trains run and are easy but we were on the tail end of our trip and tired so we gave the work to someone else.)

In Rome the subway was the way we chose to get around. It connects well with buses and really is convenient and quick...not confusing since they only have 2 basic lines.