opinions on Switzerland trip

Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 12th, 2008, 05:29 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am traveling to Switzerland on 10/9/08, arriving in Geneva 10/10/08. There are 4 of us traveling, my husband, his father and his sister. We are visiting his brother in Geneva. We have an itinerary that starts Sunday, 10/12, leaving Geneva on a train to Munich. We arrive in Munich in the early afternoon and are spending 2 nights at the Eden Wolff Hotel. On Tuesday we are traveling to Grindlewald for 2 nights at the Kirchbuhl Hotel. On Thursday we are going to Lucerne and staying at Baslertor Hotel. Then Friday back to Geneva. Is this itinerary satisfactory, left it all up to travel agent? What is the weather like in October? Are there any trips/sights to see in these areas we should not miss? We are novices to Europe so any input would be appreciated. Thank you.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Old Sep 12th, 2008, 05:35 AM

Hi gingschuiltz,

I wonder why you are making the very long detour to Munich? Is there a family or personal reason why you're doing that?

If at all possible, I would spend longer in the Berner Oberland (area where Grindelwald is). I would also stay in one of the car-free villages (Wengen or Mürren) instead of Grindelwald -- just a personal preference.

Also seems a shame to have only one overnight in Luzern. There's quite a lot to do there -- ascending peaks, cruising the lakes, strolling the old town.

Have fun!

s
Old Sep 12th, 2008, 06:06 AM
Original Poster

Since we have never been to Europe and will not likely get there again, everyone wanted to at least see another country besides Switzerland, and Munich won out. My sister-in law really wants to do some hiking, but recently had her knee replaced. I have a bad back and my husband had surgery on his ankle this past summer and my father-in-law is in his eighties....are we crazy? I've read there is a lot to see on level hiking trails? Also the weather and what to pack is a concern. Can we use American credit cards or should we convert cash to francs?
Old Sep 12th, 2008, 06:32 AM

You can USE yourt credit cards and by all means use your ATM card to get cash out of local ATMs.

As to Munich...possibly the Residenze, especially the treasury and the Ludwig carriage collection. You could also visit the Nymphenberg Palace which is in the city itself and worthwhile; not as large or impressive as Herrenchiemsee and the other Ludwig "builds" but easy to reach by publci transport.

Also Dachau the concentration camp if you are so inclined and can be reached my S-Bahn/bus combos.
Old Sep 12th, 2008, 06:45 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My honest opinion?

Don't go to Munich.

Go to Vevey for 1-2 nights, Grindelwald 2 nights, Lucerne 1 night and return to Geneva.

If you want to go to another country, go to Paris. The fastest connection is 3h30 min. from Geneva.
Old Sep 12th, 2008, 06:45 AM

use sbb.ch for train times.
Old Sep 12th, 2008, 06:46 AM

Forgot to mention, Münich is 7+ hours one way from Geneva. WAY too long for such a short trip.
Old Sep 12th, 2008, 07:43 AM

Here's a great website with pictures of Switzerland. Click on the flags to see its area:

http://www.sengers.ch/2001_sz_de.html
Old Sep 12th, 2008, 02:54 PM
ira

Hi G,

If you want to visit Munich, why don't you fly into Munich first, then go to Switzerland?