8 nights in Switzerland

Search

8 nights in Switzerland

Search this Thread

Old Feb 20th, 2019, 06:06 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
8 nights in Switzerland

My plan is to travel from either Munich or Füssen to Switzerland. I’ve been focusing on the Montreaux/Geneva area, but realize there is so much to see. What are your suggestions for 8 nights. I’m thinking of 2 locations, 4 nights each, or a 3-3-2 plan, ending up in a city with good options for travel back to the U. S. Open to all ideas!
Old Feb 20th, 2019, 07:31 AM

If I were given the opportunity to go back to one place on this planet, I think I would pick the Eiger region of Switzerland. We stayed in Grindelwald and took gondolas, trams, cog-wheel trains all over the place! That would be my choice for 3-4 days. Montreaux was nice. Geneva...just OK with me. Good luck with your decision!
Old Feb 20th, 2019, 07:42 AM

Hi shillmac,

When are you going? That makes a difference in what we might advise...

Also be aware that there is no "a" in Montreux...for Google and rail searches.

Have fun as you plan!

s
Old Feb 20th, 2019, 08:30 AM

Last September we spent a couple days in Wengen and felt we had a true Alpine experience there. We were fortunate to have perfect weather allowing us a fabulous and fun day up to Murren and then really up to Schilthorn. We went in the opposite direction you are suggesting, from there to Fussen. We enjoyed Bern and Zurich was just ok. Here is our trip report: 3 Countries, 8 Places, 8 Nights, Awesome!
Old Feb 20th, 2019, 08:54 AM

Yes divide time with Lake Geneva area and the Berner Oberland around Grindelwald - a third neat place would be Lucerne for a few days. Trains are great - for lots on Swiss trains check www.sbb.ch; www,seat61,com; BETS-European Rail Experts and www.ricksteves.com.

Wengen is just loved by everyone who goes there - a car-less village only reachable by train.
Old Feb 20th, 2019, 09:28 AM

Luzern, Interlaken area, Zermatt
Old Feb 20th, 2019, 10:36 AM

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
Everyone's different. I can (and have more than once!) spend a week or two only in Lac Leman (including Geneva, Lausanne, Vevey, Montreux, etc.). It's gorgeous, I love everything about it there.
Old Feb 20th, 2019, 12:07 PM

How about Germany to Lucerne - 2 nights -do a lake boat tour -

take scenic mountain train from Lucerne to Interlaken-Est station, hopping of place for trains into the hills - like to Wengen, Grindelwald, Lauterbrunnen, etc. 3 nights

Take Golden Pass Scenic train from Interlaken-Ost to Montreux - bit longer than mainlne route but much more scenic. 3 nights.

If want but 2 bases I'd drop Lucerne and add a day to each other.

Investigate the Swiss Travel Pass which covers trains, lake boats, postal buses, city transports and free entry to hundreds of sights.

An 8-consecutive day pass would cover all your travels except cable cars and trains to mountain tops- usually gives 50%
Old Feb 20th, 2019, 01:58 PM
kja

As swandav noted, it really depends on when you plan to go. And, of course, on what you want to see and experience.

If you haven't already seen it, you might find some useful information in my old trip report:
https://www.fodors.com/community/eur...thanks-983126/
Old Feb 21st, 2019, 01:13 PM
Original Poster

Thanks everyone! Great ideas! Please note: I need to fly out of Zürich back to the U. S.
should I hit Montreux first (thanks, swandav2000!),
then Bern area, working my way back toward Zürich? I’m going end of May. Keep those ideas coming!! I am not picky about what I see. It will all be lovely. I now have only 7 nights, so 2 locations, right?
Old Feb 21st, 2019, 04:53 PM
kja

I'm not sure I would try to go to the Bernese Oberland in late May. When I planned my time in the area, experts on the area dissuaded from doing so because it generally isn't a good time to visit that region -- its snow-melt season, with trail closures, etc. But that varies from year to year, and people certainly have gone at that time and had good experiences. I think it depends on how flexible you are willing to be and what kinds of experiences you most want.
Old Feb 21st, 2019, 09:37 PM

Hi again,

Right -- a trip to Switzerland in May might be best to stay in the lowlands, maybe at a lake. So I would suggest Thun and Montreux or maybe Luzern and Montreux (Luzern is only 1h from the airport by direct train, so it's ok for your last night). Thun is about 3h from the peaks of the Jungfrau region, and Luzern is about 1h or 2h from the peaks nearby, so you can see some Alpine views on a clear day.

Have fun as you plan!

s
Old Feb 22nd, 2019, 03:47 AM
Original Poster

Thanks! So much I don’t know!
So...7 nights. Possible to adequately visit Interlaken and Montreux?

Once I arrive in Zurich by train, is it best to rent a car (shorter travel times) or stay with the train transport plan? If I arrive Zürich around 5:00 pm, does it make sense to try to get to Lucerne for an overnight en route to Interlaken? Or better to just spend evening in Zurich?

Should I just focus on Interlaken area? Sorry for all the questions! I just don’t have a feel for what is feasible. For example, in looking at train travel Füssen to Zurich, I’m seeing itineraries with 5 changes, some of them with 4 min change times. That doesn’t look right!
Old Feb 22nd, 2019, 04:07 AM
Original Poster

Duh! So I see that I would go directly to Lucerne from Fussen. 1 night? Interlaken area 3 nights? Montreux 2 nights, back to Lucerne or Zurich one night? I realize this is time for just a taste, but I want the best taste possible!
Old Feb 22nd, 2019, 04:39 AM
Original Poster

New plan: Please be forthright about feasibility!

Fussen to Montreux by train. Full day, 3 changes

3 nights Montreux

Golden Pass to Interlaken

3 nights Interlaken

last night either Lucerne or Zurich

Old Feb 22nd, 2019, 05:25 AM

I would pick another city than Interlaken... for me it is a transportation hub. If you don't want to commit to a higher altitude, maybe Lauterbrunnen might be a better choice. And if the weather is beautiful, you are right there, just a cable car away from the car free villages or Wengen or Muerren. I was in the region once when it was mid May and it was perfect, with wild flowers and all the hiking trails were open. That said, the weather is never guarantied.
Old Feb 22nd, 2019, 07:47 AM

You could also proceed to Switzerland after the visit of the castles at Fuessen. for example:

Fuessen dp 17.05 - Buchloe ar 18.13, dp 19.05 - St. Gallen ar 21.55
VORALPEN EXPRESS: St. Gallen dp every hr from 7.03 until 19.03, Lucerne ar 2 1/4 hrs later
LUZERN-INTERLAKEN-EXPRESS: Lucerne dp every hr from 6.06 until 18.06, Interlaken ar 1 3/4 hrs later
GOLDEN PASS: Interlaken dp 9.08, 13.08, 15.08, 17.08, Montreux ar 3 hrs later
Montreux - Zurich airport is 3 hrs by train; trains every hr; you may stop over at Berne (luggage lockers in the railway station)
Old Feb 23rd, 2019, 08:34 AM

You can take Golden Pass Interlaken-Ost to Lucerne too - up and over the Brunig Pass on the only Swiss Federal railroad's only train to use cog wheels to go up and down the steep inclines.
Old Feb 23rd, 2019, 03:08 PM
Original Poster

Will I be okay booking the train from from Fussen to Montreux and working on the rest once I get there?

i didn’t mean Interlaken per se, but that area, right?

My purpose in going to Montreux first is to return back toward Zurich at the end of my trip for easy access to airport. Does that make sense? My flight out is 10:00ish in the a.m. so I feel I need to be fairly close to the airport the night before.
Old Feb 24th, 2019, 08:52 AM

Whatever you will do (reach Montreux at the beginning or at the end yof your trip) will not change the fact that you have to go to Zurich airport the evening before your flight. Indeed, you best sleep in a hotel around the airport if you must check in before 8am.

As I said above:
Montreux - Zurich airport is 3 hrs by train; trains every hr until 20.47; you may stop over at Berne (luggage lockers in the railway station)

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -