Early Sept./Late Aug. vs. Late Sept. in Czech Rep. and Hungary

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 1st, 2010, 02:51 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We are just starting to plan a trip in September to Prague, Budapest, and some smaller towns (to be determined) in between.

It would be somewhat better for our jobs to go from about 8/24 to 9/7, but we could also go from 9/19 to about 10/3.

Do you think the later time period would be significantly better in terms of fewer tourists, less expensive hotel rates, etc., or is it not that different?

I gather the weather is likely to be somewhat cooler in late September, but otherwise has as much chance of being nice. Or do you think one of these options is a significantly better choice for weather reasons?

Thanks very much,

Len
Old Jan 1st, 2010, 03:50 PM

We took a similar trip two years ago, but in late May. The only issue you might face is that in many parts of Europe, August is a big vacation month. I don't know if that's the case in those Central European countries, but it might make the later dates somewhat better. Also, the weather is likely to be a bit cooler, but I don't know how hot it gets in August in those countries.

We started in Prague, then picked up a rental car and headed out to visit castles. We spent two nights in Telc, then two nights in Olomouc. Then a very long drive east through Slovakia, to Levoca. We spent two nights there, then headed for Eger, Hungary. From there, we headed back toward Budapest, where we dropped the rental car and spent 4 nights at the end of the trip.

Once we got out of the cities, the hotel and restaurant costs were much less, especially the restaurants.
Old Jan 1st, 2010, 04:44 PM

We were in Prague, Vienna and Budapest late Sept and early October fall - 2008. The weather was great. From Budapest we trained to Venice. If you have a choice I think Sept and Oct would be the best time to go - August could still be hot.

There were a lot of tourist - September and October are busy with tourists. I have not been there in the summer months but I think Sept & Oct would not be as busy as the summer months.
Old Jan 1st, 2010, 04:46 PM

I think the weather would be better later - to me August is just too hot to travel in those areas - never mind the gazillions of europeans on vacation then.
Old Jan 3rd, 2010, 06:11 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
We were there early Sept a few years ago. Vienna and Budapest were VERY hot, and humid
Old Jan 4th, 2010, 11:57 AM

The first time I was in Prague was in late Oct/early Nov. The second time was just this past August (Aug 1 - 13). Late Oct./early Nov was cool but still very nice. We wore lightweight winter coats. The crowds were definitely thinner; downside is that it got dark sooner. Not sure what late Sept/early Oct would be like in comparison.

As far as August goes, the temps were not as hot as we were expecting them to be. They were typically in the 80's and dry. Honestly, we loved the weather in August & also loved the weather in later October. August was definitely more crowded but again, not as bad as we were expecting it to be. The narrow streets heading into Old Town Square were the most crowded.

Hotel and food prices were cheaper once we left Prague. I haven't been to Budapest so I'm not sure what route you would take, but if it makes sense, I recommend visiting Cesky Krumlov and Telc. We also went to Karlovy Vary but that is closer to Germany so it probably wouldn't make sense to go there if you are going to Budapest.

Hope this helps.