Budapest -- May or August?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 10th, 2005, 10:43 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am planning a trip to Budapest this year but due to school scheduling the only times I could go are either mid-late May or early-mid August. Which would be better? I've heard it's very rainy in May but very hot/humid in August.
Old Feb 10th, 2005, 11:01 AM

Hi,
It depends on what you want. For sighseeing May is just perfect. However, August is way too hot to really spend time in the city.
Suggest may rather as this is the most beautiful month of the year as it is not too hot and at evening you can eat out.
Tamás
Old Feb 10th, 2005, 01:17 PM

No doubt about it -- May is by far the best month of the two choices you gave. Everything, including the number of tourists, is in your favor in May.

The only downside, and it is a negligible one, is that you might have a bit more rain on the average in May. But the difference is within the typical variations from year to year and month to month anyway. So go in May and enjoy. If you like art, don't miss the National Gallery on the Buda side. Good luck.
Old Feb 14th, 2005, 03:33 AM

I am just back from Budapest, and, even though it was supposedly super low season, it was quite full with tourists already. So I dread to imagine what it could be like in August... Remember, Europeans get 4 to 6 weeks of vacation, so they use them. I was in Vienna last August, and it was like the whole of Italy had taken the place by storm, so I would guess Budapest suffers the same fate.
Old Feb 14th, 2005, 03:42 AM

Big European cities, esp. interior cities, often have low season rates in August. It`s because they are so unpleasantly hot that no-one wants to go there.
Old Feb 14th, 2005, 03:56 AM
jeg

So, I hate to barge in, but I've been reading through Budapest posts since my family is considering a trip in July. July would be the only month we could go and now I'm having doubts. Is it just too unbearable? We've traveled to Italy in July and that was pretty hot!! How does it compare to Rome and Venice in the summer months?
Thanks.
Old Feb 14th, 2005, 01:25 PM
Rod

Late April through late June and September through early October ofer the most pleasant weather, in my view. July is still nice, if warmer, but hardly "unbearably hot" unless yu hit unusual weather - which could happen anywhere. I'd certainly not avoid Budapest on a concern for hot weather.
Old Feb 14th, 2005, 03:51 PM
jeg

Thanks for the reply, Rod!
Old Feb 15th, 2005, 04:32 AM

Ihave benefited from the replies to your request on what month to go to Budapest. Thanks !
I am considering going in June and want to persue a "home exchange". I live on the beach on Florida`s
west coast. The Home Exchange
programs have few listing in Budapest so I`m trying to venture out to see if I can find an exchange by other methods.
Hope for feed-back.
Diva Desamona
Old Feb 15th, 2005, 09:45 AM

Hi ,
I have to agree with Rod.
I would definately not avoid Budapest due to the weather. From early July till mid August there is a good chance that there will be quite hot (35C) Last year it was hot in June so it is difficult to predict. June seem to be a good idea as you can try the both and 17 June there will be a Rod Stewart concert. Usually in July there is a big outdoor concert with big performers (Sting, Pet shop boys, Elton John) You can try the outside baths as well.
Visit Lake Balaton...June is summer so it is a good time to be around.
Tamás
Old Feb 15th, 2005, 09:48 AM

Divadesamona, You might want to check into an apartment in Budapest. Many of them are well located and a one bedroom apartment usually costs about 50-60 Euro per day. Unless you are planning to stay more than one week, why bother exchanging.