E-mail from places you've been

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 27th, 2010, 03:13 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

While I get a fair amount of junk mail, some of the unsolicited e-mails I get that really tickle me are from places we've stayed or dined or worked with over the years during the course of our travels. For example, having taken the Salzburg ski buses arranged by the excellent Salzburg tourism bureau we get periodic e-mails about upcoming events in their city. We also hear from the folks at Home food in Italy, giving us the list of meals in homes available in various cities throughout Italy complete with the menus and the names of the home cooks. We received a personalized holiday greeting from Elisa, the woman who tended the agriturismo we stayed at in Piemonte--the Marcarini. One of my favorites is from Le Cerf restaurant in Alsace where we were scheduled for a meal but canceled when road conditions turned bad. Nonetheless they faithfully send me notices of their upcoming special treats and holiday meals. Each time I get these little reminders, I'm flooded with memories of the wonderful times we spent with these folks and how much we enjoyed their cities, hotels, and restaurants, etc.

Who do you get e-mail from to remind you of your travels?
Old Jan 27th, 2010, 03:38 AM

Emails from Hotel Capri in Malcesine. We also receive a Christmas greeting through slow mail from 2 places. Hotel Cannero Riviera has been sending them for the last 6 years which was the last time we stayed there. I enjoy getting them and probably will return there at some point.
Old Jan 27th, 2010, 03:48 AM

Julie,

This week we had an e-mail from Wein Tourise, even though we haven't been to Vienna for about 10 years.

We also hear regularly from Hotel Familia in Paris, where we spent one night on our way home from Rome last year. And because they have been so interested in us, we will stay there again.

We also hear from owners of a villa we planned to rent in Provence, but had to cancel that trip.

And restaurants and hotels in New Orleans keep in touch.

It is fun to keep up these little contacts.

Byrd
Old Jan 27th, 2010, 04:51 AM

I too have received emails from the Familia in Paris and I get regular updates from the Danube in Paris. In fact I correspond regularly by email and snail mail with a member of their staff. He's become quite a good friend
Old Jan 27th, 2010, 09:01 AM
yk

Mainly from apartment agencies which I had rented apts from in the past. And also from Pension Suzanne in Vienna.
Old Jan 27th, 2010, 09:10 AM

Received 22 Likes on 4 Posts
La Collina in Pontresina, Switzerland sent us a Chirstmas card which made us smile, and also received one from beautiful Curtain Bluff in Antigua.
We also gets emails from the apartment and home rental agencies we've used for Paris and Greece, and the national tourist boards of France, Portugal and Spain.
Old Jan 27th, 2010, 09:16 AM

We get them as well from several place - The hotel du Louvre in Paris - the one that makes me smile the most is from Brugge at a B & B we did NOT get to stay at - but it makes me want to go!
Old Jan 27th, 2010, 09:18 AM

We frequently get personal emails from the lovely Coco in Dijon. Even though we have yet to stay in her rental apartment, this warm and friendly lady still stays in touch after she kindly took our party of four on a tour of the pastry shops, and market, in Dijon several years ago.
Old Jan 27th, 2010, 09:38 AM

We stayed at the cozy Hotel Austria in Vienna in 2006 (quiet, on a cul de sac about a street and a half from the Schwedenplatz underground station, and about five or six streets from St. Stephen's). We get an enjoyable quarterly newsletter with info about happenings that upcoming quarter in Vienna, the ongoing remodeling and furniture rearrangement at the hotel and the various events around hotel staff (weddings, graduations, retirements, new staff, etc).
Old Jan 27th, 2010, 12:11 PM

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post
Hi julies I agree, I get several, two from the Dordogne
and several from Provence.
Old Jan 28th, 2010, 09:23 AM
Original Poster

Well grimmy, I'm disappointed. Pretty sure we stayed at Hotel Cannero Riviera, but I don't get Christmas cards from them. Perhaps we stayed before they instituted the mailing list--or they just didn't like us. Mohun, your mention of a newsletter reminds me of the one our daughter and son-in-law get from the folks at Locanda Orseolo--the best little marketers ever. We stayed at another hotel but stopped to see the Orseolo and have a drink with the kids there, so son-in-law always forwards me his newsletters. You know, hotel and restaurant folks should take a look at this post and recognize how much free publicity they can get from a simple mailing list with periodic communication. Always makes me feel warm and fuzzy to get something from a place I've been--and like some of the rest of you, I sometimes find myself moving the place up on the list for a repeat visit.