Dusseldorf airport

Search

Dusseldorf airport

Search this Thread

Old Mar 8th, 2007, 10:00 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Dusseldorf airport

I've recently changed airlines and will now be connecting through Dusseldorf. Is it usually busy? Slow customs process? I need to plan connections.
Old Mar 8th, 2007, 10:34 AM

Düsseldorf is my home airport. It is brand new and has short distances between terminals and gates. Immigration and customs is very fast. Usually a connecting time of 20 minutes will be enough.

However, to give you a good answer, I need to know which airlines and destinations you are flying.
Old Mar 8th, 2007, 10:38 AM
Original Poster

arr/dep LTU from/to florida. Most connections will be air berlin.
Old Mar 8th, 2007, 10:52 AM

Then you might have some problem. LTU and Air Berlin are different carriers; so you will have different tickets and your baggage will not be checked through.

This means:

1) You will get your bags back at the baggage claim (which may take up to one hour), go through customs (which takes a few minutes), go up to the check-in area (which takes 3 minutes) and check-in again for Air Berlin (you have to be there at least 60 min before departure). So you need at least 2 hours between flights - if everything goes well.

2) If your LTU flight is late and you do not reach your Air Berlin connecting flight you are just a no-show and your ticket gets void. LTU is a very reliable airline, but you never know what happens: bad weater, congestions at the departing airport, technical problems, administrative problems...

3) Still I do not know what your destinations are. E.g. if you will be connecting to Berlin and you miss the Air Berlin flight to Berlin you may take the train. But if you want to connect to Rome and you miss your plane then you are in big trouble.

4) Conclusion. You should think about staying overnight in Düsseldorf before connecting to your final destination. Düsseldorf is a nice city with lots of things to see and a vibrant nightlife. Alternatively, you should consider one contigious booking to your final destination. Then it is your airlines`s responsibility to bring you there and if the transatlantic flight is late, no problem for you. And your baggage will be checked through.

Old Mar 8th, 2007, 11:46 AM

Our trips using Duesseldorf Airport were OK. The airport is neither large nor did it seem busy (traveled on Wednesday).

Customs/Immigration were quick and painless but luggage retrieval took more than 1 hour following all other arrival business which seemed too long.

We were surprised to discover there were two separate and VERY thorough security checks. We flew in from Munich and had less than 1 hour to connect to out LTU flight back to Orlando. The second checkpoint was right outside our gate, but as I said, both check were EXTREMELY rigorous and thorough, each requiring what seemed like 5 minutes per passenger. Takes a long time to fill a 200+ passenger aircraft at that rate.

MvK
Old Mar 8th, 2007, 11:49 AM
Original Poster

Thanks Mark. Glad to hear about the good security. I'll move best case time up to 2.5 hours.
Old Oct 3rd, 2007, 02:23 AM

Arriving on Northwest Airlines, need to go in to town the the Four points Sheraton hotel. Would like to use the train.
What's the best way to go.
Old Oct 3rd, 2007, 03:36 AM

casyn: You can take a look at www.bahn.de from Duesseldorf Flughafen to Duesseldorf Hbf (short for main train station). At least during the day there's a connections every few minute. The Four Points is pretty much in the city centre, so you could either walk or take a taxi from the train station.
Old Oct 3rd, 2007, 01:02 PM

Thanks for the info Hans.