Dusseldorf Accomodations & Nuerburgring Day Trip

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 11th, 2005, 09:22 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

DH has just informed me that he'll be going to Germany on business in mid-February. Flying into Frankfurt, he will take the train to Dusseldorf where the trade show he's attending will take place.

Can anyone recommend lodging, pubs & restaurants to try? I know virtually nothing about Germany, and there aren't many prior threads with discussion of overnights in Dusseldorf.

Additionally, he'd like to (love to) visit the Nuerburgring Race Track and do a few laps. Anybody have any experience with this? I expect he'll have to rent a car and drive out to the track.

Any thoughts & suggestions are much appreciated! Trish
Old Jan 11th, 2005, 12:36 PM
Original Poster

ttt. Hasn't anybody stayed in Dusseldorf?
Old Jan 11th, 2005, 04:30 PM

Dusseldorf is a great little town. Unfortunately, it's been a few years since I was there and have no current recommendations. O'Reilly's Irish pub - that's all I know.

Just bringing this to the top for you.
Old Jan 11th, 2005, 04:33 PM

I've been to Düsseldorf several times, using a couple of different hotels and a friend's apartment, and had a good time every time. One of my 2* or 3* hotels was on Karlplatz but I can't remember the name. The pedestrian Altstadt is one of the best in Germany. It has plenty of restaurants and pubs. One of my favorites years ago was the Doctor Jazz, a couple blocks from the river, but I think it was gone the last time I was there. There is a classic multi-room old beer stube at the first corner from the river on a small street. Another good one with music was the Front Page, at the river. The bridge over the river is quite a sight. Königsallee is the upscale shopping boulevard. If the weather is good, stroll it with the Germans on Sunday afternoon, also.

If your husband is attending one of the major trade fairs it would be good to get your hotel booked ASAP. Everything might be full already and you might find yourself camped out many miles from town. That happened to me when I showed up at Photokina in Köln at the last minute one time.

Old Jan 11th, 2005, 06:16 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for the recommendations! His hotel is all booked.

He's adventurous, so will be glad to have some places to visit & pubs & restaurants to try.

I'm jealous! I'll be stuck back in NJ!
Old Jan 12th, 2005, 02:12 AM

There was another question recently about Dusseldorf hotels. As I posted there, we have stayed at the Mercure Dorint Stresemannplatz (Am Stresemannplatz 1, tel: +49 211/35540). It's modern, not quaint, but perfectly comfortable and fine. Near the train station and an easy walk to the main sights. Rates can be as low as 59 euros per night. Check www.mercure.com for Internet specials.

In Dusseldorf, we always have dinner at the Schlosser Alt Brauerei. Good food, great beer, and a lot of fun (dinner reservations recommended).

I like Dusseldorf. We spent several months living in the Ruhr valley and went to Dusseldorf fairly frequently. It has a lively old town, great shopping, very good art museum. Nearby, the small medieval town of Hattingen is an undiscovered gem. Easy to reach by bus or s-bahn (or car; there's a large parking garage a short walk from the old town).
Old Jan 12th, 2005, 06:00 AM

Düsseldorf is one of the largest convention cities in Germany and subsequently offers many hotel choices, check with hrs.de. The Altstadt (old city) has more than 250 restaurants, pubs and breweries. It's also known as the longest bar in Europe. Also check at nuerburgring.de for add'l info about racing on this track.
Old Jan 12th, 2005, 03:24 PM
Original Poster

Thanks to you all for your replies!

Sounds like he'll really enjoy the Altstadt, the art museum if he has time and Hattingen sounds interesting as well. Unfortunately since it's winter, Nuerburgring may not be open for visitors depending on the weather. He'll have to call once he gets there to find out.