Brisbane Restaurants & Pubs

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 4th, 2004, 12:53 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My wife & I will be visiting for two weeks at the end of July. We've been to Brisbane before and are somewhat familiar with the area but it's been a couple years since we visited. This time we'll have a car and are interested in finding some local pubs & restaurants that the locals visit.

We don't care for anything fancy or overly expensive. If we have to dress up, we're not interested. We'd rather have a decent meal, a cold beer and spin a yarn with the locals.

I'm thinking something along the lines of RSL clubs, country pubs, Southbank and maybe Caxton Street. Any recommendations for places within 100km of Brisbane are appreciated!!

John in Miami
Old Jun 5th, 2004, 10:36 PM

You might like to try The Norman Hotel in Woolloongabba. They are famous for the fabulous steak dinners. (The same people who used to do steaks at the Breakfast Creek Hotel). I recommend you book ahead though!
Old Jun 8th, 2004, 05:28 AM
Original Poster

Claret - I just found their website (www.normanhotel.com.au) Sounds delicious! Can't wait to get there and have a good steak & a XXXX Gold! Thanks for the suggestion!
Old Jun 8th, 2004, 09:35 PM

John
Consider the Tumbulgum hotel just into New South Wales on the Tweed River on the way to Murwillumbah, it looks out on a fork in the river, the town is an old logging town. Or a little further south on the Pacific Highway, probably just outside your 100km range(but if you're contemplating a visit to Byron Bay it's on the way) is the Brunswick Heads Hotel with dining in the front garden, very popular with locals and visitors. Any of the surf lifesaving clubs on the beaches of the Gold or Sunshine Coasts ( although the Fourex Gold can sometimes be better than the food). If you're going to Caxton Street you might be able to arrange to see a football game at Suncorp Stadium just down the road on the same trip. Happy to provide more detail if any of that sounds interesting.
Old Jun 9th, 2004, 05:54 AM
Original Poster

Dougw - we're going to be in the Beechmont/Nerang area (Binna Burra) for the first part of our trip so your suggestions are "spot on." If you could post more details on the Tumbulgum hotel & the Brunswick Heads Hotel, I'd appreciate it. I see both places on my map - are they easily found off the main road?

Also, can you advise driving time from Byron Bay to Brisbane CBD? My guess is about 3 hours?
Old Jun 9th, 2004, 07:01 AM

The pub at Tumbulgum is one of my favourites but I prefer to take the inland route to it via the Numbingbar Valley ( can't possible think of the correct spelling) which is really lovely especially if you stop at the Natural Bridge for a short walk. Be sure to get to the pub early as it tends to fill up especially at weekends.
Since they have done some highway upgrades it has shortened the time from Brisbane to Byron Bay now and the highway is great, except at peak hour time at the border section of the highway - Tugan actually so be aware of that.
Of course there is always the fish and chip place at Redcliff - super stuff! The wonderful seafood places on the Tweed River and Terranora Lakes areas - nothing fancy, just plain fresh fish and great chips. The Breaky Creek Hotel is always good but again not on weekdays.
For some really nice Australian food try the Wallaby Pub at Mudgeeraba on the Highway west of the Gold Coast OR the Wood-choppers Inn ( havn't been there for some time so I think its the Wood-choppers) However for my money I always love going to George's Paragon Restaurant at Sanctuary Cove for lunch because it is half price and it is always great food. Week- end bookings essential. Quality at a fantastic price. When you talk about the price of eating in Australia the nowhere can compare with some of the clubs and pubs etc.
Anyway John enjoy your trip to Oz and I hope you get your Visa soon. Of course if you want further information about the areas around the border ranges, O'Reilly's and Mt Tamborine then give me a call when you are in the area as I live in Mt Tamborine and perhaps can point you in some interesting directions. I am at present in Patagonia but will be home at the end of June.
If you are in my area on the second Sunday of the month then the markets at Mt Tamborine are a real treat.
See ya
Liz
Old Jun 9th, 2004, 08:09 AM
Original Poster

There you are Liz! I was hoping you'd pop in.

Do you still have your austarnet email address? We're going to be driving right through your shire and if you're up to it, we'd like to stop by and say G'Day!

Enjoy your time in Patagonia! National Geographic magazine recently had a story about that area and the images presented in the magazine were nothing short of spectacular! Patagonia is now on my "places to visit someday" list
Old Jun 11th, 2004, 06:39 PM

G'day John
I think Liz is right about the scenic route to Tumbulgum through the Numimbah (LizF!!!) Valley on the Nerang - Murwillumbah Road and then via Murwillumbah. I'm sure a friendly local or your host will put you right there.However the least complicated direction would be to follow the Pacific Highway south from Brisbane (or wherever you're staying,)the Pacific Highway in the main avoids the built up areas and is 100K PH except through Tugun(Liz!) and Kirra where it runs beside the Coolangatta Airport. At this point it crosses (unceremoniously) into New South Wales and ultimately crosses the Tweed River. To get to Tumbulgum take the exit to Murwillumbah (which may be up to 10km from the river crossing -that sounds like you have to swim it but there is a bridge - mentioned before) then look for a sign to Tumbulgum which is a right hand turn across the highway. To travel to Byron Bay follow the above directions but don't take the Murwillimbah exit and stay on the highway. You will cross the Brunswick River on your journey and when you have done this you'll see an exit to the left to Brunswick Heads. Take that and drive around for a few minutes and you'll find the Brunswick pub-it's across the road from the river just before you get to the bridge to the surf beach. In deference to the locals you may feel obliged to drink Tooheys but XXXX Gold is available on tap. If you go on to Byron Bay you'll find its exit only about 10km further down the highway, you'll need to call in at the Beach Hotel - you really can't miss it given its name - but good luck getting a seat. As part of your Aussie odyssey it's manadatory that you call in for a pie at the Humble Pie Company at Billinudgel (hope I spelt that right LizF! I'd deserve a sharp retort if I didn't). I've taken 2 overseas visitors there and got the thumbs up on both occasions. It's well signed and is a right turn off the highway heading south just before Brunswick Heads. This would be an option for a morning snack on your way to Byron and you could hit the Brunswick pub for lunch on the way back - it serves lunch well into the afternoon, until 3.30 I think.

By the way, re the driving time, I live at Burleigh Heads and it takes me one hour from the Brisbane CBD to home and it takes me one hour from home to Byron, so if my maths is correct you should make it in two hours or less (subject to traffic) as you won't have to negotiate the suburbs. (Although you should make your way at some point to Burleigh Headland and the (easy) walk around the national park.)

Also, time and eating capacity permitting, take LizF's advice regarding George's Paragon Restaurant at Sanctuary Cove, I was there last Sunday for our annual pilgrimage and, as always, they didn't let us down. Just on another alcoholic note there's a tavern just up the wharf from George's with a huge deck overlooking the water with live music in the afternoon (on Sundays at least) which is just delightful for a sunny winter's afternoon. The easiest way to Sanctuary Cove is to take the Hope Island exit from the Pacific Highway (North or Southbound, start looking for it once you've passed Dreamworld (theme park)heading South or Warner Bros Movieworld heading North). It should be well signed from there.

Hope that helps

Doug
Old Jun 11th, 2004, 06:55 PM

By the way, you may or may not be awre that the next beachside suburb north of Burleigh Heads is Miami - named for(or by?) the US troops who were stationed there in WWII- so there's potential for you to be JohnInMiami in Oz, and maybe a photo opportunity.
Old Jun 12th, 2004, 05:39 AM

I have been meaning to write and I wrote to Alan Jarmen to reply for me because I couldn't find what I had done with my new stupid password but I have come across it again so am back on line, so to speak.
I have also decided to try and write and spell all those Aboriginal names that I cannot remember for something to do on the long flight home, that is if I come home seeing I have fallen in love with this place I am in now ..... Bariloche in Argentina, it goes right to the top of my list of places one must go to for many reasons.
Anyway John, yes I am on my austarnet address which is elfin (at) austarnet.com.au ... NB I cannot do an (at) on these computers and use fodors as it kicks me off because you have to press alt then 64 or some such thing. Also John I would expect and hope that you would phone me and pop in for at least a drink of coffee or something else as wonderfull. Alan can attest to the fact that I do a great diet coke!! Perhaps we could also take you two to some of my favourite places around the mountain as my work is not a 9 - 5 thing. But be warned that my husband is an senior citizen Bikie idiot and as he has 2 bikes he expects that everyone should want to ride with him around the area, which incidently is great biking country - but I do not go as I am really fond of my 2 neurones I have left.
DougW: I thought there was a g in Billinudgel as in Billing but as I cannot spell at the best of times, what would I know anyway?
Further on alcohol notes, there are several nice wineries on Mt Tamborine and a delightful distillery which is run by 2 friends of mine, one of which is worth going there just to have a chat with - he is one of Tamborine Mountain's ecentrics, his wife is the maker of the lovely stuff made from the local fruits and things, has won International awards and finally she paints the bottles as well which makes them even more special. They are not open on a Monday or Tuesday.
Anyway I must get back to my work of spending money in Bariloche!!!
Old Jun 12th, 2004, 04:31 PM

Its nice to see the queenslanders are recommending places in "gods country" the far north coast of nsw.

Its Billinudgel btw.While you are there at Humble pies have a beer or perhaps a meal at Ma Rings famous Billinudgel pub.Just across the railway line the sydney types have just closed down.

Other places might be...

be warned these are not highbrow places...solid food and good cold lager beer (GailK from NYC would not be seen dead here)

Mt Warning Hotel Uki...after climbing Mt Warning..have a look at the logging pics in the public bar.

The Buttery hotel at the channon..go after the channon markets..best markets in oz..2nd sunday of the month.

In Brunswick Heads get some prawns at he fish co op and have a picnic by the river..in front of the pub.

Rubys on the first floor at the Lennox Head hotel..great views of the pacific

the beach cafe for breakfast at byron..go before you take the sea kayaks.

Pogels at Federal...great little "big scrub" village.

BBQ at Rummerys park near Minyon falls..get your food in Bangalow and cook up your barbie after a skinny dip at the base of the falls.

The Friendly Inn Hotel at Eltham...dinner on thursday,friday saturday nights..this is a real oz country pub.Long way from tetsuyas this one!
Old Jun 12th, 2004, 05:27 PM

Actually Johnj, "gods country" was just the way I described that area 30 years ago when I first used to take the pilgrimage from Brisbane to go surfing at Byron and Ballina etc most weekends. Despite the Maroon blood coursing through my veins, nothings happened in the interim to change my perception.
Old Jun 12th, 2004, 06:16 PM
Original Poster

Nice to see a little State of Origin rivalry heating up the board! We got to see the first game here in America (live!) and are looking forward to next Wednesday's match.

Liz - we would love to drop by for a coffee and a ride around the mountain! I'll drop you an email to arrange things.

johnj - thanks for the "warning" but good food, cold beer and some colorful characters exactly what we're looking for.

dougw - that is an excellent idea about the Miami sign! Your idea made me remember a story. I have a friend who is a talkback host on 4BC. I called him on air one day and the producer put my name on the board as "John from Miami." When he talked to me on air, (not knowing it was me) he began the conversation by asking me how things were on the Gold Coast! I told him I was a little too far away to know! We still laugh about that today.

The information here is fantastic. I expected to get a response or two but this has far exceeded my expectations! I've printed out a map of the area and begun to plot all of the ideas/places mentioned. I'm going to try to figure out a route to visit as many as we can and we'll post a trip report & pictures when we get back.