Sydney Hotel & Places of Interest

Jun 9th, 2004, 09:21 PM
Original Poster

Sydney Hotel & Places of Interest

As part of an air & hotel package, I've been booked into the Comfort Inn Cambridge Hotel for five nights in September. With that package, I do not have an option to use another property. However, if this one is too inconveniently located, or of sub standard quality, I'd seriously consider using another for this, my first visit to Sydney and OZ. I've extended the air portion to allow an additional 7 days which I hope to use to see scenery and wildlife, perhaps driving toward Brisbane. Would appreciate some candid opinions.
Jun 9th, 2004, 09:32 PM

I can find:
Cambridge Park Inn International
212 Riley St Surry Hills 2010

Is this the one? It's a bit away from the tourist areas and central part of Sydney, and I'm not sure about the area.

This needs input from Alan.
Jun 9th, 2004, 09:50 PM
Original Poster

Margo, thanks for your quick response. This appears to be the same property; it's the same address. Perhaps the travel agent I've used has an incorrect name, or the name has changed. I'll check back tomorrow to see if Alan's responded. Again, MANY THANKS!
Jun 10th, 2004, 03:31 AM

IMHO you would want to be getting this place at under $100 a night.

Solid 3*...not a perfect location but quite accessible to tourist attractions.
Jun 10th, 2004, 05:40 PM

Hi, Pottle!

This place has been around for years, but I never knew it was a Comfort Inn... I think that chain must have acquired it quite recently.

I recall about six months ago someone on this site wrote in and asked about this place, and most of the responses were fairly negative, purely on location -- even though it's quite walkable to everything you want to see -- until the person mentioned that she was picking it up for around $36 a night! Then everyone wrote back and said that it was the bargain of the year and not to miss it. I think the same would apply to you; if you're getting it as cheap as chips, then the Riley St location won't bother you... it's not that it's an unsafe area, it's just pretty run-down; on the outskirts of the CBD without quite being in the suburbs, so there are a lot of workshops and small businesses around. There are also lots of interesting restaurants. Streets are narrow (some are just lanes; Riley St is a main thoroughfare, but it's still none too wide)and used mainly for parking for people who are travelling to theatres/restaurants at night and don't want to pay for a parking station. It's not far from Sydney Terminal Station -- in fact, you can (just) see the top of the building ( a nondescript sixties structure) from the suburban train line. If you were paying $100 a night here, I'd say that you could do better, but if it's part of a package, then look on the positives (Surry Hills is currently undergoing something of a renaissance with the art people of Sydney)and enjoy it.
Jun 11th, 2004, 06:48 PM

I used to live in Surry Hills. Seemed ok spot to me!

It is European style suburb, very old part of Sydney. It is close by Oxford Street, recently named fashion hub capital street of Australia. (ha ha Melbourne )

It is a great place imho for shopping, restuarants, bars and nightlife. It is not a great place for the natural beauty of Australia, more the younger trendier set (including gay capital area of Australia). Though on the bus route to Bondi, Coogee etc etc and right on the edge of the city centre. You could probably walk to Harbour in about half hour through Hyde Park. (or catch bus)

Surry Hills is not far from Chinatown, Darlighurst or the Fox Studio complex. It is far better value for food than the Sydney Harbour area and attracts far more Sydneysiders for it's nightlife than the downtown area.

I would say it would be a great option for younger people ! Older people may not appreciate the nightlife though some venues cater to all ages and tastes.

Some tips for the area,

ask about jazz venues, there used to be quite a few, mainly redfern end of Surry Hills.

Talk a stroll through McElhone Place to see very quaint old workers cottages all prettied up with tons of pot plants. Right around the corner from there on the main road on South Downing Street used to be huge antique market with coffee shop. Pretty sure it is still there.

See if that Greek bakery is still on Bourke near Taylor Sq. or Patizzi bakery hole in the wall on North end of Crown.

Has been a while since I lived there but it could only have got better.

Also not far walk to East Sydney Stanley street for coffee shops (though not American style coffee)

I love that area, depends if you are into that type of scene, from reading my post you should be easily able to determin if it is your type of area.
Jun 11th, 2004, 08:50 PM

Differences in Language Part 2.

In America pot plants are marijuana.
Do those cottages really have tons of marijuana plants about and if so why wasn't this recommended to us. After all we did live in Northern California in the 70's.

AndrewDavid
Jun 12th, 2004, 09:10 PM
Original Poster

Thanks Margo, Alan, JohnJ & Drop Bear. Since it's already paid, I'll try it for a couple of nights, and if I'm not satisfied, I'll move. Your comments make it more interesting than my initial impression looking at the web site. Since this was a spur of the moment decision to take the trip, I have lots to do, and your input on this (and an earlier post regarding wildlife) is truly appreciated.