Search

Durham to York - advice needed

Search this Thread

Old Feb 2nd, 2010, 02:07 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Durham to York - advice needed

Hi Everyone

I’m going to be in England for most of May and I’m trying to plan a few areas to visit. I don’t want to zip around the whole country, I’d prefer to choose 2 or 3 three areas and spend about a week in each. One idea I’m toying with is to travel to Durham by train, spend a couple of days, then rent a car and see a bit of the countryside as I make my way to York. I’d drop the car as soon as I arrived, cities are too difficult when you’re driving solo!
I was wondering if someone who is familiar with the area could suggest a reasonable timescale for this. I don’t make detailed itineraries, I’m happy to get in the car and amble along finding interesting things along the way. (I call it serendipity travel!) I’d like to see some of the coastal area, Whitby, some of the moors, and perhaps Fountains Abbey, but my must sees are no more precise than that. I’m finding it hard to decide how long to spend doing this kind of trip. I know I could jump in the car and get from to Durham to York in an hour or so, but I want to spend a few days doing something more leisurely. Any ideas would be greatly appreciated, along with thoughts on places that would make good overnight stops.
Thanks very much, Rach.
Old Feb 2nd, 2010, 03:19 AM

Hi
I could give you enough things to do to keep you occupied for weeks in this part of the country, but your original plans sound fine to me. Durham is a lovely city with a stunning catherdal and castle. It would be a good base for day trips. Alternatively I know that a lot of people look for a cottage rental in the Thirsk area which is very central to explore the area. Also there are lots of farms especially in the Dales that do a very reasonably priced bed and breakfast.
www.yorkshirenet.co.uk
Some thoughts as a local(I know you don't want a precise itinerary but you might like to research these). -
1)If you are going to Whitby then don't miss Robin Hood's Bay just along the coast. Staithes is also well worth a visit.
www.robin-hoods-bay.co.uk
2) You don't mention visiting the Yorkshire Dales - gorgeous scenery, villages, walks etc. Very different from the North Yorks Moors National Park. Ideal for ambling!
www.yorkshiredales.org.uk
3) Holy Island - Check crossing times as you go across the causeway as the tide covers it twice a day
4) Alnwick Garden
www.alnwickgarden.com
www.lindisfarne.org.uk
5) Castle Howard
www.castlehoward.co.uk
6) Cragside
http://www.nationaltrust.org.uk/.../...ardenandestate
7) The walk from Craster along the coast to the ruins of (haunted) Dunstanbergh Castle
http://www.walkingbritain.co.uk/walk...s/walk_a/1199/
8) North Yorks Moors railway
www.nymr.co.uk
Old Feb 2nd, 2010, 04:19 AM

3, 4, 6 & 7 are all way to the north of Durham
Old Feb 2nd, 2010, 04:57 AM

Yes, they were for the possible two days in Durham, if she wished to tour from there - and all just suggestions to research. Itinerary at this stage does seem fluid.
Old Feb 2nd, 2010, 06:32 AM

Another excursion from Durham is Hadrian's Wall, built by the Romans to keep out those fierce Scots.

In Yorkshire, we stayed in the interesting town of Richmond, just on the edge of the Yorkshire Dales, in a great B&B, Millgate House. The town has a castle and a Georgian Theatre and makes a good base for car touring. We visited Castle Howard on our way into York, where we dropped our car.

I loved Durham, but there's really a lot to see in York, so be sure you allow enough time there.

Have you looked into a Great British Heritage Pass for your trip? It gives you free admission into all National Trust and English Heritage properties as well as similar Scottish ones. If you visit many places like Fountains Abbey and Castle Howard, the cost of the pass will be paid off quickly.
Old Feb 2nd, 2010, 06:33 AM

Received 50 Likes on 7 Posts
raclou99: You've had some excellent advice. Durham is really interesting -- but there is much more to see a bit farther north. Besides some of the things Morgana mentions, there is Bamburgh and of course Hadrian's Wall. I might stay in Northumberland (w/ a car) for 3 days, then visit Durham on your way south to Yorkshire. for the rest of your time. You could easily spend a week in Yorkshire seeing the places Morgana suggests and more.
Old Feb 2nd, 2010, 06:52 AM

Sorry janisj - I did't realise (I saw other people recommending relevent services and providing links and thought it was ok and might be helpful to Rach).

I didn't want to pretend I had no link with the company... thought it best to be honest about it.

Thanks for the warning - I will certainly keep in mind for future.
Sorry again,
Sarah
Old Feb 2nd, 2010, 07:39 AM

Yes, there's absolutely loads to see in the area and my original list was just to kickstart some responses. I could easily give you list after list, but I suppose I have chosen some of my favourites - places I go back to time after time.
I've always had a hankering to stay the night on Holy Island (Lindisfarne), not that I have a religious bone in my body but the place is so atmospheric. I have been there on quiet evenings when there was hardly everyone around and loved it. This could be somewhere for a stopover?
www.lindisfarne.org.uk/accommodation.htm
I also ought to mention the Yorkshire people, famous for their friendliness. And the excellent local food up here - Yorkshire Puddings, Nidderdale Lamb, Yorkshire Parkin and
Curd Tart, and superb fish and chips at places such as The Magpie Cafe and Trenchers in Whitby.
www.magpiecafe.co.uk
www.trenchersrestaurant.co.uk
Old Feb 2nd, 2010, 12:05 PM

We will be making a day trip from York and (among other things) want to see either Fountains Abbey or Rievaulx Abbey. Which one should we see? Also, should we concentrate on the Yorkshire Dales area or North Yorks Moors area?
Old Feb 2nd, 2010, 12:43 PM

I enjoyed Berwick-on-Tweed, a fortified seaside town -a military bastion - one that is still used as such. It is a nice hopping off place to visit the Borders Abbeys like Melrose, Jedburgh, etc. just about an hours drive to the west.

And do not neglect the really neat island, whose name escapes me, that lies just south of Berwick - really famous place.
Old Feb 2nd, 2010, 12:47 PM

Received 50 Likes on 7 Posts
I thought you were talking about a week in York. If so, you'd be able to see Fountains and Rievaulx and Jervaulx and Castle Howard and some of the moors and some of the dales and lots more.

You don't need a week IN York - probably 1.5 or 2 days will be enough and then you can do driving tours all over the area. If it was me BTW - I wouldn't stay in York - but somewhere farther north like near Thirsk, or near Richmond, etc. Then you'd be more centrally located for your day trips. You could even take the train into York for a day trip from wherever you stay and not have to drive in York.
Old Feb 2nd, 2010, 11:06 PM

jrcollins, to try and answer your questions -
Fountains is much more of a full day out, much more to see there than at Rievaulx (although there are also the Rievaulx Terraces that you can visit). Fountains can be very popular especially on summer weekends but the EstaTe is large eough to make it seem uncrowded. Besides the ruins of the Abbey there's Fountains Hall, the water gardens at Studley Park, a very good visitor centre etc. This website helps plan your day at Fountains.
www.fountainsabbey.org.uk
Your second question - Moors v Dales. Can't answer that one! You are comparing apples and pears as the saying goes. We live in Nidderdale and I walk in the Dales most weekends. I love the area and think it stunningly beautiful. However, the Moors are beautiful too, with their own attractions.
Old Feb 3rd, 2010, 02:06 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for your suggestions everyone. It seems that my idea of a couple of days in York and the rest of the week with a car in Yorkshire and Northumberland is workable.

Morgana, thanks for the websites - I think you've tempted me to go further north than Durham!

Mimar, yes I planned on using a heritage pass. I had one last trip and it proved to be great value.

Janisj, The suggestion re staying in Thirsk sounds good. I didn't realise there was a rail link. I really don't want to try driving in York!

I appreciate the help. Rach.