Dumb Question re Bookmarking

Oct 26th, 2007, 03:19 PM
Original Poster

Dumb Question re Bookmarking

Folks, I've got at least 2,000 bookmarks on my browser (neatly in folders), but I'm darned if I know how to bookmark a specific Fodor's thread.

I'm always reading a fascinating thread and other people post saying, bookmarking.

But as far as I can tell, if you bookmark the screen you are on, it will just pick up the page, i.e. Europe, and not the particular thread. Or am I wrong?

Currently what I do is e-mail the thread to one of my e-mail addresses.

Just one more reason (whine whine) that Fodors need an FAQ (so newbies know what all this DH, DS, DD stuff is all about for instance).

How to bookmark? Many thanks!
Oct 26th, 2007, 03:22 PM

post a reply and then when you want to go to that post, just click on your username and all those that you posted to will come up
Oct 26th, 2007, 03:52 PM

Click on the name of the thread first. For this thread, that's "Dumb Question re Bookmarking". You'll see that the address in your browser will change to the specific one for this thread. Then bookmark it.
Oct 26th, 2007, 03:55 PM
rex

Right click on this thread's message header and "Open in New Window"

Note that the URL for the box now says

http://www.fodors.com/forums/threads...2&tid=35085988

rather than...

http://www.fodors.com/forums/threadselect.jsp?fid=2

(the "generic" URL for the Europe forum)...

Bookmark with the "thread id" as the URL, and the bookmark will bring you back to the thread, specifically...

Best wishes,

Rex
Oct 26th, 2007, 03:56 PM
rex

rkkwan said it more tersely (and more quickly) than I could.

Did I make it any clearer?
Oct 26th, 2007, 04:02 PM

rkkwan/Rex have given you the best ways. Just remember to open the thread and then click on the title to get the url of the specific thread. Being on a mac I don't "right click" anything - but just clicking the thread's title after it is open accomplishes the same thing.

Sorry - but bigtyke's suggestion verges on rude. Lots of folks "bookmark" a thread just to tag it. Each time that happens, it pushes other new threads down the list and off the first page. Plus - if you post a lot, "bookmarking" won't help since the bookmarked thread will jue be lumped in w/ all your other thread.
Oct 26th, 2007, 04:14 PM
rex

Thanks for the compliment janis - - but it may be that the "best" way is to e-mail a copy to yourself... or simply cut and paste the URL into a document and/or database where you can insert your own comments to yourself - - or edit just those portions of the thread (by cutting ans pasting), or add related links, thereby creating your own tour book chapter, custom created and edited to reflect an amalgam of info from multiple sources.
Oct 26th, 2007, 04:57 PM

I find clicking on the thread title and bookmarking is tidier/less steps than e-mailing it - but just MHO
Oct 27th, 2007, 04:25 AM

Using Windows XPsp2, I copy the thread (right click) and paste it into Notepad, where I save it as a text file in my Travel folder in My Documents.
Oct 28th, 2007, 09:02 PM
Original Poster

Thanks, folks, for your varied and clear explanations!

It does raise the issue though of the FAQ on this forum -- it would help outsiders feel at home quicker. For example, for the longest time, I wondered what "ttt" meant, thinking it was some secret code of Insiders. And all the time it just meant "to the top." What a letdown.
Oct 28th, 2007, 09:14 PM

The problem with bookmarking in the browser is that we wouldn't be able to access them from another computer at an internet cafe while traveling. I wish there was a way to do it on Fodor's (like how some sites let you save wish lists) so that we can just sign in and access "favorite" threads, without having to reply "bookmark."
Oct 29th, 2007, 02:12 AM

Then emailing it would solve that problem since I presume you'd be checking your email in internet cafes?