Dubrovnik to Venice: fly, ferry or ?

Aug 28th, 2003, 09:28 PM
Original Poster

Dubrovnik to Venice: fly, ferry or ?

I'm spending roughly a month travelling thru central and eastern europe winding down in Dubrovnik. I'm using frequent flyer miles, so will be spending a few days in Venice before flying home from there. (I couldn't get out of dubrovnik or even zagreb using the miles.) My question: how best to get from dubrovnik to venice? i'm having a difficult time finding information. is it possible to ferry from dubrovnik to venice? can I ferry to somewhere else for an easy train to venice? or should i fly from dubrovnik to venice?

related question: i'm at the travel-planning stage of having to make hard choices about what NOT to see. I'm waffling between focusing on a more leisurely stay in dubrovnik and exploring just the southern dalmatian coast and hustling a bit to get up the coast to Rovinj in Istria. (i've heard there might be ferries from Rovinj to venice.) any advice?

Thanks!
Aug 29th, 2003, 12:45 AM

You don't say when you're travelling, but Adriatic ferry services are much more frequent in summer than in winter. From Dubrovnik, you can get an overnight ferry to Bari, then a train to Venezia, or the coastal ship via Korcula and Hvar to Split and overnight to Rijeka, then by bus to Trieste and train to Venezia. The coastal voyage is worth doing for the scenery. There are also buses along the coast to Split from where there are overnight ferries to Ancona which has train connections to Venezia.
Sep 7th, 2003, 09:25 PM

Happy4,

I would recommend something like what we did, which was to take the bus from Dubrovnik to Split (nice bus, great scenery), and then take the Jadrolinija overnight ferry (in our case, the "Dubrovnik") from Split to Ancona. The train from Ancona to Venice is about three hours. A stop in Padua is worthwhile, especially if you're going to be in Venice for a few days.

An alternative might be to use the ferry to island-hop from Dubrovnik thru Korcula and/or Hvar up to Split.

As nice as the bus was, if I could afford it, I would rent a car and drive this road and stop along the Makarska Riviera and the charming little coastal towns between Dubrovnik and Split.
Sep 8th, 2003, 04:53 AM

if you can change & fly out of Rome, there are short,easy and low cost daily flights out of Dubrv. to Rome on CroatiaAir.
Sep 8th, 2003, 05:47 AM

You train up up the coast to Piran in Slovenia - probably need to go through Ljubljana and then take the fast speed hydrofoil to Venice.
Sep 8th, 2003, 06:25 AM

The last response is nonsense. There are no railways at all to or from Dubrovnik, and none along the Croatian coast. To travel north from Dubrovnik, you have to go by road or coastal ship, or go via Italy.