Dubrovnik mistake?

Jun 3rd, 2007, 08:27 PM
Original Poster

Dubrovnik mistake?

We are trying to decide between two rental apartments. One is just above the new Hilton Dubrovnik about 2-3 minutes from the Old Town gate. It's view is blocked by the hotel and you need to walk up 50 stairs from the street to get to the house. The other is half way between the ferry port and Old Town (about 1/2 mi from Old Town), and 100 m from the shore. It has a small view. We were told that water taxis to the nearby small islands and charters to Montenegro leave from the ferry port and not from the Old Town port, so we thought we might spend as much time going to the port as Old Town. Is is a mistake to be further from Old Town? Which would you choose? I should mention, the travel agent we are using is a Croatian x-pat who personally knows the owner of the midway apartment. The owner lives downstairs from the apartment and would be available to help/give us advice. We will be traveling with two teen girls (18 and 19) and we want to make sure we are in a location that will allow them to conveniently explore independently.
Jun 3rd, 2007, 09:15 PM

Well, it's a personal preference. Do you plan to hang out in your room during the day or are you on the go all day? Do you need a view if you are using the hotel to relax and kick back in? Do you plan to stay out late at night? Personally, I preferred to stay in the old town area when I was in Dubrovnik because it was so convenient to just walk back to my room at night and not worry about transportation and I was only in my room to sleep and shower. If I was travelling with 2 teenagers I would want to be as close to Old Town as possible so I would have one less worry about them getting back to the room if they are out by themselves at night. Dubrovnik is a safe place and no matter where you stay it will be nice but I preferred staying in Old Town.
Jun 4th, 2007, 02:24 AM

Listen to Lindal
Jun 4th, 2007, 11:28 AM

Hi Mercatus, I would also choose the place closer to Old town. Also, there are some boat trips that leave from the Old town port. I know to Lokrum, and Cavtat for sure, and believe to the Elaphite Islands also. The larger port is only a short(20 min?), and inexpensive bus ride away. Have fun in Croatia! pp
Jun 4th, 2007, 12:51 PM

50 steps!!! hope your in shape.
Jun 4th, 2007, 01:08 PM
Original Poster

Thanks to all for the input. I am torn. The closeness to Old Town is appealing, but the 50 steps is not. That apt also doesn't have A/C (in mid-August should that be a consideration?). While we don't plan to hang in the apt all day, it would nice to sit outside having breakfast looking at a nice view. Can anyone recommend a 2bd/2ba place close to Old Town?
Jun 4th, 2007, 02:24 PM

I personally would rather stay closer to the old city walls. And while I don't usually care about views or whatever, Croatia is so beautiful and we loved having our balcony to wake up to every morning and sit with a glass of wine in the evenings before bed. And I don't think walking up 50 steps to/from my room would be my version of a vacation!

If you are looking for a convenient location and great view, we stayed at the Villa Adriatica and I cannot recommend it enough. We were literally right outside Ploce gate. The website is http://www.dubrovnik-online.com/villa_adriatica/ and if you want to see the pictures from our balcony check out www.kodakgallery.com/tracybates and pan down until you get to the Croatia album.

Tracy
Jun 4th, 2007, 02:55 PM

Tcreath: We ae going with Smartours to Croatia in November and loved your pictures. It looked like you had decent weather as well.
Michael and Joan, Philadelphia
Jun 4th, 2007, 04:49 PM
hat

Just got back from Croatia 2 days ago! It was so convenient staying just outside of the old town. We were able to go back and forth many times in the day (which was necessary as we had some rain and needed to get "crowd" relief at times)

I would be concerned about no A/C as we were told that the August temps can reach 40C.

You are in for a fabulous trip!!

Jun 4th, 2007, 05:20 PM

Mercatus: Type Croatia in the search bar and start reading trip reports. Some people have posted info on apartments. Check Slowtrav.com. They may have some recoomendations. Good luck.
Jun 5th, 2007, 06:39 PM
Original Poster

Thanks again for all of the input. I have decided to stay within Old Town. I found what seems to be a wonderful place -- Casa Izabela. http://www.dubrovnikrentals.com/htmls/iz.html

After the trip I'll post a review.