Dubrovnik day trips to Mostar and Montenegro

Search

Search this Thread

Old May 21st, 2010, 07:20 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We will have four days in Dubrovnik and are thinking of at least one, possibly two day trips. Probably Mostar is our first choice. There seem to be several companies that do them but Atlas seems the best (at least based on their webiste). There were a few threads a few years ago that indicated some dissatisfaction with them. Anyone been on one recently. Any other experiences on day tours - good or bad? Would you do one or two? And in July would it be possible to book them once we got there or should we do so now on-line?

Thanks
Old May 21st, 2010, 08:12 AM

What is the price? it is very easy and reasonable to rent a car and drive down-- it's only about 90 minutes to the boarder. Havent been to Mostar, but went to Kotor and Budva-- they were great and definitely worth the trip. Spent 3 nights in Montenegro. It was a nice break from DBV.
Old May 21st, 2010, 08:16 AM

border, i mean
Old May 21st, 2010, 09:29 AM

I've posted on your other thread about a driver called Nino - he also arranges tours for people, and I think he recommends a company called Adriatic-something. Their office is down behind the Wall on the way to the guillotine!

(Seriously, there is a guillotine down by the little third entrance to the walls, and sort of on the way to the Aquarium)

Anyway you could email him, the address is on your other thread. And he also can arrange a hire car for you if you decide to drive.

Mostar is wonderful, well worth a visit.

Re the tours to Montenegro, I used Elite when I went. Because of the day I chose it was the tour that went Perast-Kotor-Cetinje-Budva.

The bay of Kotor was spectacular, but we didn't spend enought time there and only had an hour in Kotor. Then we took the road up above the fjord - all 26 hairpin bends - and on to Cetinje which was reasonably interesting. Nice museum there. Then it was back down the mountains to Budva which I wasn't particularly impressed with. All in all, in a 12 hour tour we spent 9 hours on the bus. It was interesting, but not really a fun day.

Frankly, if I was to go again I would definitely drive myself and spend more time around Perast and Kotor. Maybe Herci Novig with it's castle. Budva is just another old walled town, filled with expensive shops and the harbour is filled with boats (hardly any yachts) belonging to Russian oligarchs.

Actually, Rick Steves has quite a good driving tour of this part of Montenegro. Whatever you think of him it's worth considering his thoughts on this particular sightseeing trip.
Old May 21st, 2010, 09:53 AM

You can also do Kotor by yourself using the buses. I found the timetables online by googling. They are in Croatian, but it is easy enough to work out the times, and the buses do work around to suit a day trip.

Mostar is more difficult to do by yourself as a day trip as there isn't a bus returning to Dubrovnik late afternoon. (Unless things have changed since I last looked at the timetables online.)
Old May 22nd, 2010, 04:06 AM
Original Poster

We weren't planning on renting a car but we could reconsider. The tours are all about 50€, so it would be 100€ for the two of us. A quick check of AutoEurope shows a one day rental to be about 70€, so once you add in gas and parking, etc it would probably not be a significant difference financially. I was just thinking that with border crossings, not speaking the language, etc this might be the time for one of those tours. Normally I hate tours but to see several places in one day it occasionally is the best idea. I have read the threads about being frustrated with not being able to stop and take pictures when ever you want and that will be an issue for me. But just sitting back in a bus and not worrying about the car, getting lost, etc might be more relaxing. We have our four nights accommodation in Dubrovnik so staying overnight is not an option.

So is it possible (not financially outrageous) to wait and see about a rental once we get there? We have always reserved ahead through autoeurope or similar. Also, do the tours fill up or can we wait on that till we get there?
Old May 22nd, 2010, 05:44 AM

70 euros sounds high. here is the travel agency I used over there, you might want to check with them: http://www.dubrovnik-rent.com/
Old May 25th, 2010, 01:41 AM

id get a car and drive to montenegro ..good day trip and you can see so much
Old May 28th, 2010, 01:45 AM

We were in Dubrovnik in early May, we had a great time!
We treated ourselves to one day trip, to Mostar! We used the company Vacation In Dubrovnik (www.vacationindubrovnik.com)
Zoran, our driver took us to places that most tour companies would not take you too! He was so flexible, there was no rush in seeing things and hurrying along.
The restaurants he took us too, were amazing!!
We had a great day, would highly recommend to anyone wanting to get away from busy Dubrovnik! Next time we are doing Montenegro!!
Old May 29th, 2010, 03:57 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for the replies.

krgystn - that website doesn't have prices. Did you arrange your rental ahead of time or once you got there. I don't think we want to commit ourselves to a rental now but once we get there if we still want to take the trip we might do a one day rental. In some places those are outrageously expensive but I have seen people do it. So having the infor ahead of time would make it easier once we got there.

cancan - I have emailed the site you mentioned, they also have no prices on line. Haven't heard back yet. Do you remember the cost? Thanks
Old May 29th, 2010, 08:41 AM

isabel, we arranged when we got there. you can send them an email, though, just to get an idea of rates.
Old Jun 11th, 2010, 02:19 AM

If I remember correctly, it was 5o or 55 euro per person.
We booked once we arrived in Dubrovnik!