Day trips from Dubrovnik

Search

Day trips from Dubrovnik

Search this Thread

Old Jul 16th, 2005, 12:24 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Day trips from Dubrovnik

Will bein Dubrovnik for 5 nights in September - no car, just 2 of us. Any recommended day trips we can take? (Maybe with a tour company, but we are not into a big bus with 30 other people.) Anyone been to Montenegro or Bosnia from Dubrovnik?

Any other budget tips about Dubrovnik are also appreciated.

Thanks!
Old Jul 16th, 2005, 01:20 PM

The idyllic islands of Kolocep, Lopud and Sipan are an easy day or half-day trip on Jadrolinija's ship (www.jadrolinija.hr), or you can do a day trip to Mljet by catamaran (www.alpex.hr).
Old Jul 16th, 2005, 01:32 PM

Stephpaige,

Yes, my wife and I did a trip to Montenegro from Dubrovnik last September. It was just wonderful. It was on a tour bus with a bunch of other people, it did take all of a very long day, and we were pooped at the end of it, but it was really a highlight of an already perfect trip. You could look at my trip report from last year. It is a long one, so click on my name and look for Croataian Trip Report Part 6 for details.

I guess you could hire a driver and dothe trip, but I don't see how he could go much faster on that road up from Kotor, or show you more than we saw. Except for the Palace (in some town I can't remember the name of) we were not hearded like cattle, but we went off and did our own thing. You will find that it is illegal for Croatian Tour Guides to conduct informational tours in Montenegro. Our guide could only lead us to a church, for example, and say, "This is such and such Cathedral. If you want to know more you must hire a different (Montenegran) guide."

I am sure you will enjoy your trip, and I think you are absoultely right to not rent a car. We did just fine without one.

Old Jul 18th, 2005, 01:12 PM

We took two all day excursions from Dubrovnik in 2003. One was to Montnegro and the other was Medjugorje. They were both on large tour buses, which I don't usually like either; however, I was glad to be with an organized group for these trips. There was some sort of hassle at the border going to Montenegro, and it was comforting to be with a tour company that could handle it. We also took a boat to Cavtat and spent the day. Enjoyed all three places.
Old Jul 19th, 2005, 07:16 AM

Can you do Korkula in a day?

We are also in Dubrovnik for 6 nights. No car with 2 adults 2 kids....

I am now wishing I had added Korkcula to our itinerary (Split, Hvar, Dubrovnik) but wondering about day trips.....

Susan3063 what did you do in Cavat for the day?
Old Jul 23rd, 2005, 12:50 PM

We did not spend a full day in Cavat. We found the views were beautiful and walked the coast line trail, had a delightful lunch in an outside cafe (can't remember the name) and did a little shopping. There are beautiful beaches, lush vegetation and some interesting monuments. The RACIC Mausoleum is interesting and in a beautiful setting. Cavat was not very crowded and seemed very laid-back to us. Don't know if that is always the case, but you can't go wrong with the beautiful views along the walking trail.
Old Jul 23rd, 2005, 12:58 PM

Absolutely do the Atlas Montenegro tour. You will go places you don't want to be driving.

Yes, there is a day tour to Korcula as well. sfmaster, are you taking a ferry from Hvar to Dubrovnik? It stops at Korcula and you'll get a better idea as to whether you're interested in a day trip there.
Old Jul 23rd, 2005, 06:22 PM

sfmaster - I did a day trip to Korcula from Dubrovnik, organized throught Atlas. It's a long day - but seeing the coast line is great and we did stop off at a couple towns along the way (to and from). I thought the tow of Korcula warrented 1/2 a day - I did not see the rest of the island.
Old Jul 23rd, 2005, 08:55 PM

I might mention, Stephpaige, that a delightful way to go to Cavtat from Dubrovnik is by water taxi. Just go to the port and you will find the schedules posted.

For only a few Kuna, a launch travels several times a day back and forth between Dubrovnik and Cavtat; often stopping a tiny ports along the way. Only takes about a half hour each way and is a delightful and low key way to travel. Much calmer and less hectic than taking a bus or driving.
Old Jul 25th, 2005, 09:22 AM
Original Poster

This is such great info - thanks! We did book the Montenegro trip with Atlas. We are thinking of possibly taking a public bus to Mostar for the day (not sure how long it takes - but I think a few hours in the town will let us see the bridge & appreciate the diversity). We love the idea of a boat ride somewhere! Cavtat or Mljet are at the top of our list right now. Is there a big difference in the time it takes to reach each?

Weird side question - will we get our passports stamped on the tour to Montenegro and/or the public bus to Mostar? We love collecting stamps!
Old Jul 25th, 2005, 09:31 AM

You do need your passport and mine did get stamped going into Montenegro. I didn't go to Mostar but the Atlas tours there require you to bring your passport.
Old Jul 27th, 2005, 05:29 AM

http://www.centarzamir.org.ba/

some info on Stari Most....