Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Busing To Kotor from Dubrovnik? Flying Out Kotor?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Nov 10th, 2007, 06:15 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi,

I was originally going to day-trip to Kotor from Dubrovnik (by public bus)...now I am wondering if we should spend 2 nights in Kotor right at the end of our trip and try to fly back home from there. I am hazy on how far Kotor and Dubrovnik are apart.

How long is it to bus to Kotor from Dubrovnik?

Is it a good daytrip or is it more suitable for an overnight/2 night stay? We don't want to be rushed but would rather not break up our stay in Dubrovnik.

Is the airport near Koto international?

Any assistance would be great.

Thanks!

MB
Old Nov 11th, 2007, 09:19 AM

I took a day trip from Dubrovnik to Montenegro, a lot of time on the bus, but we ended up in Kotor mid afternoon. We left about 5pm, and were back in Dubrovnik before 7, and this included dropping people off in Cavtat at various hotels.

On the return journey we crossed the fjord by ferry which was very quick, so Dubrovnik - Kotor is little more than an hour.

There is no airport at Kotor. Are you thinking about Tivat? It is very small. Or Dubrovnik airport is closer to Cavtat so not that far from Kotor.

While I enjoyed my few hours in Kotor, I didn't feel there was that much to see. I visited 4 churches in that time, did some shopping, had coffee and a good explore around. I didn't have time to walk the walls, but I would have thought 1 day/24 hours would be plenty of time there. I would much prefer to spend the extra time in the Dubrovnik area.
Old Nov 11th, 2007, 09:32 AM

Julia t, are you going to post a trip report? I'm interested to see what happened on your travels in Montenegro and Croatia.
Old Nov 11th, 2007, 02:40 PM

It would probably be easier and cheaper to fly into/out of Dubrovnik. there is an international airport in Podgorica but I never found any decently priced flights to/from it. It's only a few hours to Kotor.

We absolutely loved Kotor. It's small but but very charming and quite lovely; I think it would be a great place to base oneself to explore the surrounding area. When we get back to this region we plan on spending a few nights in Kotor because we took a private tour from Dubrovnik and so wanted to stay! We liked it much better than Budva, although it too was a nice town.

If you are interested, my trip report can be found at http://www.fodors.com/forums/pgMessa...ath+montenegro and my pictures can be found at www.kodakgallery.com/tracybates (just pan down until you find the respective albums).

Tracy

Old Nov 11th, 2007, 05:33 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for the feedback guys!

That is very helpful info.

Tcreath we will definately dig in to your trip report.

Whatever we decide, we will post it here to add our experience to the others here.

Thanks again,

MollyB
Old Nov 12th, 2007, 01:32 AM

gertie... I posted a report about my time in Mostar (only 4 weeks ago today I was still there!) with a link to my photos which include Dubrovnik, and some of Montenegro including a few taken in Kotor. I've little else to add to what others have said about Dubrovnik, but I thought Mostar was special and as there's very little written about it here I wrote a trip report.

http://www.fodors.com/forums/threads...p;tid=35086450