Atlas Tour to Mostar

Search

Atlas Tour to Mostar

Search this Thread

Old Feb 5th, 2008, 09:25 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Atlas Tour to Mostar

Does anyone have thoughts about a full day tour from Dubrovnik to Mostar? Do you recommend it? Is it worth using one of our 4 days in Dubrovnik to do this? We are taking the tour to Montenegro.
Old Feb 5th, 2008, 10:42 AM

Jane - We used Atlas for both of our day trips from Dubrovnik-one each to Montenegro and Mostar. The Mostar trip is a long day, but well worth it. Trip is about 3 hrs from Dub to Mostar (one brief stop along the way). You'll get a guided tour of Mostar, have lunch (don't believe the price of lunch was included in the tour cost), and free time to explore Mostar, before meeting back at the bus for the ride back to Dub. Not everyone is a fan of group tours, but it worked well for us as we choose not to rent cars on our trips. We reserved our tickets online prior to our trip and had no problems with Atlas (we did confirm both our bookings with them upon arrival in Dub), although other posters have had problems with Atlas and having trips canceled.

The Montenegro trip (we did the Historical, not Blue, tour) and the Mostar trip are worlds apart in diversity. While we enjoyed the scenic beauty of Montenegro, Mostar had more impact on us. There is still much war damage in evidence, but rebuilding is taking place. To see the shelled remains of a school building is not something easily forgotten.

That will leave you 2 days to explore Dubrovnik-which is easily done since it's relatively small and contained. By all means, do the wall walk for some unforgettable images of the city.

ENJOY!
Old Feb 5th, 2008, 11:02 AM

mostar is much more interesting than dubrovnik. even though you won't be experiencing much of the country/city, as debs said, it will impact you. yes, you will spend most of your time in the touristy bits of mostar but its ok, really. dub is more of a museum, you see it but there is not much to experience.

with four days in dub, spending one day visiting mostar is a good idea, imo.
Old Feb 5th, 2008, 11:03 AM

to be clear, i am not commenting on atlas (don't know them), only a visit to mostar.
Old Feb 5th, 2008, 12:33 PM

Forgot to mention that our guide in Mostar was born and raised there and although young, was old enough to remember the war in the 90's. She expressed more than once how surprised (and pleased) she was that people were interested in-and making the effort to see-her hometown. Priceless!
Old Feb 5th, 2008, 09:20 PM
Original Poster

Debs and Walkinaround, thanks for your insights. I am getting such conflicting info about Mostar. It seems like a lot of time in a bus but you make it sound interesting.
Old Feb 6th, 2008, 11:44 AM

To me, Mostar looks so interesting that we decided to take the bus to Mostar from Split midafternoon and spend two nights in Mostar. The next day we are going to take a two-hour tour and then have the rest of the day and evening to explore. We hired a driver to take us to Orebic so we can ferry the next day to Korcula. Along the way to Orebic we are going to stop and visit what appear to be some very interesting sites. I factored in the cost of two people paying for the tour, etc., and I felt it was worth it. We cut one night off of Split and one night off of Dubrovnik. Found a very interesting B&B to stay in. I am the type of person that likes to see a city as it is meant to be seen. This is just another option for you. If this catches your fancy, just let me know and I will give you further information.
Old Feb 6th, 2008, 02:47 PM

Hello!
I'm also planning a trip to Croatia this Spring ...and I'm trying to make the most out of my 15 days or so in the area.

I would love more details on your trip to Mostar (as I am interested in going there as well and not super keen on organized tours - not that there's anything wrong with that!) How long did it take by bus from Split. And was the city easy to get around on your own once there?
Old Feb 6th, 2008, 02:55 PM

It is a lot of bus time, but since there isn't any rail service, your options are somewhat limited if you want to visit Mostar. If adjusting your schedule is an option, Orchid72 brings up a good point about staying overnight. As any day trip destination is, Mostar would take on a different feel once the day trippers are gone. Hindsite being what it is, wish we would have planned better and allowed for an overnite stay, however, I'll never say that I was disappointed with our limited amount of time in Mostar, but rather made the most of what time we had available to us. It was raining the day we visited so don't think we got the full flavor and feel of the city because of this. We did manage to find the small post office and ducked into it to get out of the rain for a bit-turned out to be an interesting, yet unplanned, stop!
Old Feb 6th, 2008, 02:56 PM

Hi 8,

We have not gone yet. We will be there in May.

If my memory serves me correctly, the bus that we will be taking leaves Split at 3:15 p.m. and we arrive at 6:35 p.m. There are earlier buses and a later bus. We thought that would be the best time to leave. I think it should be easy to get around Mostar, but as I stated, we have not gone there yet.
Old Apr 11th, 2008, 03:03 PM

Thanks Orchid72...
What is the name of the bus company you're using? Is it online...
Let me know how it all works out for you...and what you thought of Mostar...we're going to Croatia in Aug/Sept now...and plan to spend one night in Mostar.
Old Apr 19th, 2008, 01:51 AM

Hi 8,

There are various buse companies going to Mostar. Depends the time of departure which company. Check out the Split Bus Schedule site. It will give you all info. It is easy to use.
Old Apr 27th, 2008, 08:26 AM

Thanks!
Enjoy your trip.
Old Apr 27th, 2008, 08:48 AM

Hi 8,

You're welcome.

When we return I will let you know how we made out.
Old Apr 27th, 2008, 08:55 AM
isailtheseas

Hi Everyone!

We actually leave in 3 days for Croatia, Montenegro and Bosnia.

On our personal travel website
we put together videos of Croatia, Montenegro AND Mostar that I really think you would like to view

There's a link to the private driver that we are hiring for Mostar and Montenegro day trips out of Dubrovnik if you would like to check it out.

On our return we will be doing a full trip report. I do have a Sights to See checklists made out in word doc forms if you would like them just send me an email through our website.

If you have specific info you want me to try and gather from a T1 let me know.

Here's our website, just go into Our Next Adventure!

http://when.do.we.leave.googlepages.com/