Search

Dublin Trip

Search this Thread

Old Nov 30th, 2003, 12:38 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Dublin Trip

My wife and I are going to Dublin 19-22 Dec. We would like information about restaurants and historical places to go in our few short days.
Old Nov 30th, 2003, 04:07 PM

knapp,

A visit to Ireland's capital just before Christmas sounds perfectly splendid. As you can imagine, the city has much on offer. What follows is a short list of touristic highlights, but you'd be well served to pick up a good travel guide, such as Fodor's, The Rough Guide, Lonely Planet, Rick Steves, or the underrated Footprint.

Try to make time for:

A tour of Dublin Castle;
Chester Beatty Library (a noted collection of Far Eastern and Islamic art);
Christ Church Cathedral;
St. Patrick's Cathedral;
Guinness Brewery (very touristy but fun);
Book of Kells and Long Room at Trinity College;
National Museum;
National Gallery;
and, finally, Kilmainham Gaol (first rate tours here, highlighting Eire's struggle for independence).

Best of luck.

Old Nov 30th, 2003, 07:24 PM

Amen to the above. One thing I found in Ireland was good conversation just about everywhere I asked questions about what I was seeing or doing.
It was a great experience. I remember getting into a very good discussion with a young lady at the infomation desk when we dropped by Trinity College to see the Book of Kells and other illustrated Bibles.

On several short tours that we took we discovered that many Irish are good at quoting poetry when they talk to visitors about what they are seeing.

And they do it so articulately that it certainly shows a profound knowledge of the language we sort of share.

I do at times feel inadequate when I run into one of those types because the speak so well and so eloquently. They certainly add to the trip experience and give me a chance to hear a master of the language at work. .

They also reinforce that many of us in the US come in second best when it comes to artful use of the English language. As former Secretary Bennet said in a CNN interview, the longer an American stays in school, the dummer he or she becomes relative to the rest of the Western world.
And our students take "standardized" tests ad infinitum ad nauseam to prove it. It is the old adage that insanity is when you engage in the same behavior over and over and expect different results!
Old Dec 1st, 2003, 07:31 AM

Hi,

I live in Dublin and can maybe take the highlights from DavidD's list:

1. Chester Beatty Library is behind Dublin Castle and houses the largest collection of Asia Art in Europe. Only a small percentage is on show to preserve the collection and rotate exhibits. It is in the oldbuilding that held the British Army Officers Accommodation in the Castle. The park beside it is a celtic design with 2 serpents that make the swirls up. Its lovely here oon a warm day for a picnic. The Cafe in the Chester Beatty is excellent food slightly mediterrean/turkish/european. It was in the New York times travel section I believe in July. Its great value and the best coffee I can find in Dublin.

AS for the other museums, pick ones that interest you or ypou willspend the entire time indoors. The Natioal Museum at Collins Barricks I would place last on my list unless you were into military history. The collectiuon is more 19-20th century and I am never tooo impressed. The Museum off Kildare street is worth the visit to see the old gold jewellery and boats etc.

A nice place to see Georgian Dublin is Number 29 Fitzwilliam street, its a house decorated in the georgian style and open to the public.

Also the new Art museum at the end of Nassau street and I believe the entrance is on Merrion square is worth a look if you enjoy art. The cafe is another good spot for lunch.

Restaurants - Do search for Dubin and see my previous post on restaurants today. I will add a few for you.

Most places will definately need bookings especially sdince you are coming at the busiest time of the season. Book from America or tyou won't get a place. Its insane here. I spent this sat night walking around with my boyfriend trying to get into ANYPLACE and had no luck except for a crummy pizza place.

Cheap and Cheerful would be :

Milanos - Dawson street
Wagamama - Asion food across from the Gaiety Theatre
Cafe Bar Deli - Georges Street - No bookings taken, first come firsat serve.
Acapuloco - Tex Mex, Georges Street
*Salamanca - Tapas restaurant - excellent food and prices - Beside tourist office (Church) on Suffolk Street.
* Sufis -Off Georges/Angier Street diagonal across from the Capital Bar. Open late cafe/bar. Serves med snack with an arabic influence. Open late and fresh filling food.

Pricier:
Fado - Mansion House, Dawson Street
The Unicorn, Merrion Street near St Stephens Green
Rubicon - Merrion Street as above
Jaipur - Corner Georges street across from Capital Bar. Modern fusion Indian food. Gets good reviews

Really Posh but good:

Clarence hotel restaurant- Temple Bar
Morrison Hotel - Halo Restaurant
SHanahans on the Green
Browns Brasserie - St Stephens Green
L'ecrivan (Voted best restaurant recently
Patrick Guillbauld - Merrion Hotel

Have Fun
Old Dec 1st, 2003, 04:12 PM

I used to live in Ireland and have been to all the places listed above and recommend them all but I think the Chester Beatty library is a bit of an odd suggestion for a 3 day trip to Dublin- I'd be more interested in seeing Irish art and historical items on a trip to ireland - it's an interesting museum but you could see many museums like that in New York or San Francisco -plus it's a bit out of the city centre - better to go to see the Book of Kells or National Museum IMHO. When my friends visited me they did a historical walking tour and a literary pub crawl both of which they said were great. At Christmas it would be a lot of fun wandering the city streets around Grafton Street and stopping by a few pubs - great fun in Ireland at Christmas.
Old Dec 1st, 2003, 05:21 PM

All these ideas sound good. I would recommend taking at least one day in the country (rent a car or take a tour if necessary). For restauants the Clarence hotel and Patrick Guillbauld are really special.
Old Dec 2nd, 2003, 12:53 AM

The Chester Beatty Library is actually in the City Centre and I recommended this because it is unique in Dublin and a worthwhile visit even just for lunch.

All the walking tour information can be found at the tourist office on Suffolk Street off Grafton Street in a converted church.

Have fun