Dublin to Galway

Search

Dublin to Galway

Search this Thread

Old Jan 11th, 2006, 05:14 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Dublin to Galway

I am travelling to Ireland next month, and I am looking for a way to get from Dublin to Galway. I know there are trains that make the journey fairly fast, but I was looking for other options. I would like possibly a bus day trip which leaves Dublin in the morning, stops at a place or two along the way and ends in Galway that night. A trip with a night stop over would be good as well.

If anyone knows of any trips like this between Dublin and Galway, or know where else to look, I would appreciate the help.
Old Jan 11th, 2006, 05:22 AM

Just look at a map and see which places are en-route. Athlone is an interesting town en route for both trains and buses. I've stopped in Athlone between Galway and Dublin, leaving my bag in the left-luggage office at the station. If you want to stop overnight, there are lots of possibilities: Ennis, Limerick, Sligo, etc. You can check schedules on www.irishrail.ie and www.buseireann.ie.
Old Jan 11th, 2006, 05:24 AM

I am not aware of a bus that does a one night tour trip uless CIE offer any. There is also the Paddy wagon tours that do shorter trips but is more budget style accommodation and they are in a mini bus but meant to be fun.
Old Jan 12th, 2006, 04:46 AM

There's a private bus service called CityLink http://www.citylink.ie that offers hourly service from Dublin airport (and Dublin City Centre) to Galway: It takes 4-hours and costs 13 Euro. You would have to contact them to ask if you could go part way 1-day and complete your journey the following day.

As I recall, CityLink buses are modern and restroom equipped but the driver discouraged the use of the on-board restroom (he may have to clean it out).

I travelled al the way: dep Dublin airport 09:15; arr. Galway Tourist Office (adjacent to Eyre Square) 13:15
Old Jan 17th, 2006, 03:34 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for the helpful input everyone.