Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

One week in Scotland; should I fly out of London or Paris?

Jan 14th, 2006, 12:03 PM
Original Poster

Actually, I'm posting this for my friend, who is not yet- but will soon be- a fodorite.

She and her daughter are going to Edinboro for a "clan meeting" the first week in June, but has another week free. She is debating whether to travel down to London and fly home from there, or to fly out of Paris.

My sugesstion was to take a ferry to Amsterdam for a few days seeing the Rijksmuseum, Van Gough museum, etc then heading to Paris by train -with maybe a stop in Belgium??- and then out of Paris.

Since I haven't been to Europe in a few years though, I thought some of you may have better ideas.

She likes art, museums, etc, and would like to be on a moderate budget, but has been know to splurge dramatically when the the value is there.

Thanks!
Jan 14th, 2006, 12:52 PM

If she's on a moderate budget and likes art museums, why not take a train from Edinburgh to London (about 4.5 hrs) and spend her second week in London? If she wants to go further afield, she could take the Eurostar to Paris (about 3 hrs) for a day or so to visit the museums there, then fly home from Paris.
Jan 14th, 2006, 03:19 PM

She has lots of options - but ferry to Amsterdam surely isn't one of the most practical.

The most obvious are a week in Edinburgh, followed by flying to 1) London, 2) Paris, or 3) Amsterdam or 4) taking the train to London. Flying is usually cheaper.

Which city pulls at her - which one does she dream of visiting? I personally would probably take the train to York and stay 1 or 2 nights, then train down to London for 5 or 6 nights.

But if Paris is her dream - then fly from Scotland to Paris and fly home from there.
Jan 16th, 2006, 07:03 PM

I would recommend taking Easyjet to Amsterdam. Amsterdam has something for everyone, and if there isn't enough in town (although there is) you can train almost anywhere in Holland for the day. Our whole family loves to vacation there and it's a very easy 2 and a half hour cheap flight from Edinburgh.
Jan 16th, 2006, 11:23 PM
chas

Just a minor correction re. Dibsy's reply. The flight time to Amsterdam is only about 1hr 15 minutes - they are one hour ahead of the UK which is why the confusion may have occured. You can also try KLM who sometimes have cheap fares

Jan 17th, 2006, 03:38 PM

We have flown on Ryanair in the past from Stanstead to Paris and also from
London to Dublin to Paris. It was cheap and let us see more than one city. We love both London and Paris and this let us see both cities. It's been a couple of years so your friend might need to check the current routes.