Dublin to Ardmore

Old Apr 22nd, 2009, 01:21 PM
Original Poster

Dublin to Ardmore

On a Saturday in early May, my family and I will be driving from Dublin to Ardmore. I am trying to decide what to see along the way. Powerscourt, Glendalough and Kilkenny all interest us, but do we have time for all three? If not, which would be the least awful to miss? We love scenery, gardens, castles, etc. Shopping isn't of interest necessarily since we'll be seeing more of Ireland after Ardmore.

Other planned stops later in our trip include Kenmare, Dingle, Cliffs of Moher, the Burren, and Galway. Do any of those places make Powerscourt, Glendalough and Kilkenny less necessary to see (due to similarities)? We will be on the road early and don't have to be to Ardmore at any particular time. Also, none of has a problem with long car trips. Thanks for your help!
Old Apr 22nd, 2009, 01:58 PM

Wow, tough question. Personally, Glendalough is one of my favorite places in Ireland. If you get there when there is a lull in tourists (early or late, usually) it is incredibly serene, and it is always beautiful.

Powerscourt gardens are incredible as well - there are several gardens all in one, a Japanese, an Italianate, a wild garden, a rose garden, etc...

Kilkenny has a great castle and several lovely churches/abbeys/cathedrals, and there is more along the way. However, if I had to pick one of the three to drop, it would be Kilkenny. It's a lovely medieval city, and I love it, but you will see other cities and castles, and it's not as much 'on the way'. And Glendalough and Powerscourt are unique.

I've done both of the above on the way from Dublin to Kilkenny, but it's a long day drive. I would say that you could skip Kilkenny on the way to Ardmore - can you go by on the way to your other stops? If not, there is always a next time. Don't try to see EVERYTHING in Ireland on this trip, it's just not possible. I've finally learned that myself
Old Apr 24th, 2009, 05:53 AM
Original Poster

GreenDragon - I think we'll follow your suggestion and remove Kilkenny from the itinerary. Thank you for your help.
Old Apr 24th, 2009, 07:51 AM

I haven't been to Ardmor for several years but there is a lovely cliff walk that begins at the Cliff House Hotel and end at the Round Tower. Takes about an hour but is worth the effort if you have time. Have fun
Old Apr 24th, 2009, 08:37 AM

Bribby:

Sorry you didn't get more help, but I think that was the best option. You may, like I said, still be able to stop by Kilkenny on another part of the trip, or see it next time. I've made the mistake of taking a 'green blur' tour (though it was England and Scotland, you get the point). I saw lots of stuff from the car window, whizzing past.
Old Apr 24th, 2009, 01:50 PM
Original Poster

Thanks again GreenDragon.

Johnod - We're actually staying at the Cliff House Hotel so I'll be sure to check it out. Thanks.