Dublin - Temple Bar Area - Eight Days

Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 14th, 2010, 01:46 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm a 70 year old single lady. I like to travel alone and have done so in Paris, Edinburgh, London and Rome. I fly into the city and stay in the same hotel for 8 nights. From there I take my time, see the sights. I usually ride the Hop On Hop Off Bus. I'm usually back at the hotel before dark. My questions: Would I like the Temple Area? The Arlington Temple Hotel? Is there enough to do for eight days? How long does it take to get from the airport to the hotel via airport shuttle service? I like my hotel to be near lots of restaurants, shopping and sights.
Old Feb 14th, 2010, 02:03 PM

I think the average lively 70 year old might not like Temple Bar -- it has more appeal for 20 year olds on the razzle.

I didn't immediately register the Arlington until I googled and found that I know it as the Parliament Hotel, recently re-branded. It's not quite in the Temple Bar area, and I think the location is fine. The only part of the hotel I know is the public area, and that seems reasonably good. Nice bar.

You don't indicate what your interests are, but I am sure that you will find enough to do. You will be within walking distance of a number of Dublin's attractions, and the main tourist office is about 400 metres away.
Old Feb 14th, 2010, 05:19 PM

Temple Bar is a trendy area with lots of pubs, clubs and nightlife, Not an area I would choose unless you plan on staying up late at night.
Old Feb 15th, 2010, 04:58 AM

As I pointed out, the Arlington is not actually in Temple Bar.
Old Feb 15th, 2010, 07:03 AM

Please don't - it's a crazy idea. Unless you're no older than mid-20's and part of a stag or hen group then the Temple Bar area is NOT for you. At weekend nights it's full of drunken tourists, it's very noisy and it's just horrible - no wonder Dubliners wouldn't be seen dead there. I know that the Arlington Hotel isn't quite in Temple Bar but I still wouldn't recommend it.

If you really want to stay in the city centre, a far better option would be here - www.trinitylodge.com . Otherwise I'd recommend staying away from the city centre in an area like Ballsbridge - try here - www.bewleyshotels.com/ballsbridge/ .

Personally I think eight days is too long in Dublin, unless you're planning on doing a few day trips - I'd recommend a day trip to Kilkenny, to Newgrange or to Glendalough. If you're aged 70 you may be eligible for free travel on public transport - it's worth investigating.
Old Feb 19th, 2010, 06:40 AM
Original Poster

Thanks to all who replied. I'll take the advice very seriously. I'm now committed to the 8 days thru Expedia, but i could change the hotel. However, I kind of like seeing young people have fun, and also I won't be out in the crowd from 8:00p to 9:00a daily. I think I'll take a day trip. I'd like to see some quaint Irish Villages.
Old Feb 19th, 2010, 08:08 AM

passportplus wrote: "quaint Irish Villages".

Ouch!

We don't do quaint.
Old Feb 19th, 2010, 10:08 AM

If you take only one day trip, Glendalough might be the best choice.
Old Feb 20th, 2010, 07:07 PM

I do go to Temple Bar every once in a while when I'm in Dublin. While I would not suggest to stay in that area (but that hotel is NOT in the infamous neighborhood but a few minutes walk from there), it is far from being that hell hole some people make it look like.
Obviously, Temple Bar is a tourist attraction, but it's also where the locals go. It's lively, noisy, somewhat touristy but nothing to be afraid of. Besides the pubs, you will also find lots of quirky cafes and restaurants there.
Old Feb 23rd, 2010, 02:35 AM

I agree with the Glendalough choice. There is a regular bus service. Even better, spend one night down there so you can explore the area before the hordes arrive.
http://www.jeremytaylor.eu/glendalough_ireland.htm
Old Jun 15th, 2010, 04:17 PM
Original Poster

Oops, I won't use "quaint" again. My trip is getting closer (13 days) so i've been busy investigating everything; hop on hop off buses, airport shuttles, etc. Im going to take a chance and stay at the Arlington Temple Bar Hotel... I will definitely take a day trip or an overnight trip. Kind regards to all.
Old May 7th, 2011, 04:21 PM

How was your stay at the Arlington Temple Hotel? My husband and I are thinking about staying there for 1 night in early June.