Dublin taxi vs bus or train

Jan 15th, 2007, 12:26 PM
Original Poster

Dublin taxi vs bus or train

We will be in Dublin in early June. We (4 of us) will pick up our car at the airport and spend the first night in Skerries and then head north to visit relatives. We plan on being back in Dublin on June 17. We want to return our car and spend a couple of days exploring Dublin (Dublin City Tour at www.irishcitytours.com). I'm trying to decide if we'd be better off staying near the airport (free shuttle to and from the airport) and taking a taxi, bus, train(?) into town or finding a motel/hotel/B&B near the tour so we'd only have the ride to and from the airport. My husband and I would walk but my sil is a little heavy and I'm not sure how much walking she can do plus my brother has arthritis and might not be able to walk that much. Thanks for the help. Kathie
Jan 15th, 2007, 01:16 PM

The area around the airport is fairly dull. I suggest that when you return the car you take a bus into the city -- south city centre outside the Temple bar area probably would have the most appeal to mature people, as I suppose your group is. Then you can easily venture out in the evening and have somewhere to go -- pubs, restaurants, or a show, depending on your interests (all of them if you like).
Jan 15th, 2007, 01:41 PM

I don't know that there is a free shuttle to and from the airport. There are busses and taxi's that are really easy. Also, the "hop-on-hop off" bus tour would be good. You can listen to the commentary on headphones, and get off where you want. Also, it is easy to walk around in Dublin.
Jan 16th, 2007, 07:20 AM
Original Poster

We are mature...mostly my brother, sil and husband. I'm a young 51. <g> We are taking the hop on, hop off tour. We did that in London and found it a great way to stop and see places on our own time. Is there some place I can find prices? We were "suprised" (in a not good way) in London when we took a taxi to pick up our rental car. (Followed the "let the motel call one so you don't get a rogue" theory. They called a friend. We should have refused it and found our own in the phone book.) On that trip, the taxi's were on strike so we took a bus. We got a FABULOUS driver who let everyone else off at the bus terminal and took us right to the door of our motel. You don't get service like that very often. I don't know if my brother and sil will have much in the way of baggage but I'm imagining the worst and trying to get baggage onto an already full bus is not going to be fun. Guess, I answered my own question. Take a taxi depending on the luggage situation. Thanks all for your help, Kathie
Jan 18th, 2007, 02:04 PM

The Aircoach (http://www.aircoach.ie/) bus that goes from the airport into town does have space for luggage under the bus. The Bus driver handles that. We are in our mid-50's and never had a problem with the Aircoach, DART, or Train or walking. We got to Dublin in July the day there was a taxi strike...good thing we already planned to take the Aircoach.

There are websites that show the different tour busses and prices.

Have fun
Jan 18th, 2007, 10:20 PM

We just got back from Dublin and used taxis to go both to and from the airport. Late on a Friday night (taxis cost more at night), it was 24 euros including tip to go to the Westin right next to Trinity College, and it was 20 euros with tip on a Monday afternoon to return to the airport. That was for two people. They charge an extra euro for any person beyond a single passenger. Hope that gives you an idea of prices.
Jan 19th, 2007, 10:09 AM
Original Poster

All the information helps. We have decided to stay near the airport so will have to get into town daily. I'll make a note of this on my "Ireland Ideas" and read through just before we go. Thanks, Kathie
Jan 21st, 2007, 09:01 AM

I wouldnt agree the Temple Bar area would be suitable for mature people, its noisy and messy at night, and its next to impossible to sleep!!
Jan 21st, 2007, 11:18 AM

lucielou wrote: "I wouldnt agree the Temple Bar area would be suitable for mature people".

Who suggested that it would?
Jan 22nd, 2007, 05:24 AM

Padraig

My humble apologies! I misread your post or probably read it in a hurry ( which is how i spend most of my life) and thought you meant for them to stay in Temple Bar.

I hope you can forgive my awful blunder and wont send me off to a far off womens prison for twenty years
Jan 22nd, 2007, 05:34 AM

Forgiven.

I'll arrange for you to spend your twnety years' repentance time in a men's prison.
Jan 23rd, 2007, 04:16 PM

My husband and were in Dublin in Sept.The bus service is wonderful. We bought a 3 day pass and took the bus into Dublin and then took the hop on hop off to see the sights. The hop on hop off was really fun we took it all around Dublin. Then decided what we wanted to see and just hopped off where ever we wanted. The bus comes by every 10 min. so you can stay at the sight as long as you want then just hop back on and go to your next sight. We really loved Dublin. Well we really loved Ireland.The people are so great. If you need help they are more than happy to help. I only hope we are as helpful to our visitors.Have fun.
Donna