Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Buying Italy Train Tickets - online vs. at station

Jan 23rd, 2007, 07:16 AM
Original Poster

My husband and I are traveling to Italy at the beginning of March. I am debating on whether or not to buy a few of the train tickets early. I am not worried about the "hassle" of it all, just the most cost effective option. I have read many posts that disagree with which way is the least expensive way to purchase tickets. My husband is 26 and I am 24, so my questions are this:

1) do we qualify for any "youth" passes that are not offered on, say, the "Italia Rail" website but may be offered on the Trenitalia site or at the actualy ticket window in Italy?

2) for example, on the "Italia Rail" website, for two second class tickets/reservations from venice to florence it would cost $72. however, on the Trenitalia website, there are a plethora of "fare" choices that determine the price per person, and they all seem cheaper than the Italia Rail site. How do I know which fare to choose?

3) Bottom line: WHICH WAY IS CHEAPER (online or onsite) and if I wait to purchase them while in Italy, will there be horrendous lines to wait in with possibilities of not making the trains we wish?

I know this is a lot, but any help would be much appreciated!! thanks in advance
Jan 23rd, 2007, 07:55 AM
ira

Hi N,

If you want to purchase in advance, go to www.trenitalia.com.

Look for 29E and 39E discount fares.

Otherwise choose standard.

Except for the discount fares (not available on all routes) the prices are the same as in Italy.

You are now an Adult. No more Youth Fares.

Jan 23rd, 2007, 09:28 AM
Original Poster

What I meant by "youth" was that on most of the multi-day passes or the Venice Card they consider Youth to be 26 or younger. Thanks for your advice!
Jan 23rd, 2007, 04:10 PM

You'll get almost as many different answers as there are posters here, so take everything w/a grain of salt.

I've travelled by train many times in Europe & specifically Italy, and I've always purchased at the station, while en route. Never had a problem w/long lines, plus they now have those ticket machines, which are a piece of cake to use. Previously, we'd always purchased a first-class railpass, but did not do so this last trip, and found second class to be absolutely fine, could barely tell the difference.

Have a wonderful trip!
Jan 23rd, 2007, 04:24 PM

We always buy point-to-point tickets while in Italy. Very easy with the machines in the stations. Plus, we hate to be that regulated and have everything scheduled. We might not choose to leave until an hour or two later.