dublin /shannon airports

Search

dublin /shannon airports

Search this Thread

Old Jun 24th, 2004, 09:39 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
dublin /shannon airports

no one has specificly asked this question but it has been alluded to many times in my viewing of this form and that is ---fly in out of dublin/.shannon????

I usually go in and out of dublin. this time it finally dawned on me why drive from galway area to dublin why not go to shannon and fly out of there? so this time (sept.oct) this year I am flying into dublin staying two days and then getting the car the day I leave dublin and flying out of shannon as my last stop before leaving is the connemara and then a night at shannon before leaving.

It has just dawned on me (after I have my airline tickets in my pocket) why didn't I land in shannon and fly out of dublin - then I could have dropped the car at dublin airport taken the bus in town and never had to contend with dublin traffic. Not going to dublin is not an option.

I never have been accused of being the brightest apple on the tree.

Hope this helps somone

Old Jun 24th, 2004, 09:48 PM

Actually, I think starting in Dublin ain't a bad thing. Gives you a chance to walk off whatever jet lag you might be hanging on to - without having to worry about driving.

So, not so bad maybe...

Old Jun 25th, 2004, 07:06 AM

I agree with Clifton. Take the bus into Dublin and then either take the bs back to the airport or rent in the city and perhaps save the airport fee. I'm not sure how that works if you pick up off airport but drop off at the airport. I think I would prefer starting in Dublin.

Bill
Old Jun 25th, 2004, 08:35 AM

If you rent in Dublin, check with the rental car company. I remember HappyCheesehead telling me they rented in the city vice the airport and was charged a "city" rental fee. She rented with Autoeurope. Doesn't hurt to ask.
Old Jun 30th, 2004, 04:07 PM

I generally fly in / out of Shannon, but we have family in Cork. When we bring along folks who HAVE to see Dublin (it's a nice place and all, but my wife and I are pretty much over it), we fly into Shannon and out of Dublin.

If you fly Delta, bear in mind that you need to check THEIR schedule so that you don't dragg yourself to the airport for an 8 or 9 AM departure, just to hop over to the other airport for a two hour layover! When I do fly with them, I schedule my trip so as to assure non-stop flights.

As far as I know Delta is the only airline that does this, but I've only ever flown Delta, Aer Lingus and Continental. I don't count the British Airways Orlando to Gatwick and Aer Lingus to Cork trip in 2000, as we were accommodating my wife's elderly parents.
The BA flight was terrific, but expensive, Continental's three and three seating was gruesome on the flight over (full) but GREAT on the return, as we each grabbed a row of seats and stretched out for a nice nap.

Shannon is much easier to get in/out of and the atmosphere seems less frentic to me. Add in our natural preference for The West, and hands down, Shannon is our choice every time.
Old Jun 30th, 2004, 07:29 PM

Good memory Budman! Yep- I originally was picking up at the Dublin airport and was going to be charged a airport pick up charge. When we changed over to a city pick up we were charged a "premium pick up" charge, in the same amount, LOL! What ya' gonna do!