Search

Dublin Restaurants

Search this Thread

Old Aug 24th, 2004, 11:17 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Dublin Restaurants

Hello!

I was just wondering how dressy the restaurants are. We'd probably going to the type of restaurants listed in the previous budget conscious restaurants post. Just don't want to look weird walking in somewhere in jeans! Thanks.
Old Aug 25th, 2004, 12:43 AM

Jeans are fine pretty much most places. We are not as Dressy as say NY for going out. Jeans are fine so long as you are not sloppy ebven in nice restaurants. In budget ones thesame goes. Dress the way you would at home. Any restaurant in Particular?
Old Aug 25th, 2004, 09:08 AM
Original Poster

I actually printed out the list you had posted before - thanks, by the way - and those are probably places we'll try to get to. Any other recommendations for restaurants in Dublin? We don't like the tourist traps, but like to feel part of the city. Thanks so much!
Old Aug 26th, 2004, 12:28 AM

Nothing on the list would be a tourist trap. I don't make enough to part with it for crummy food on a night out. I mostly wear jeans out with a nice top. I tend to post mid range/better value places so none would expect a suit etc. I have not eaten anywhere new recently so I would stnd by the restaurants posted in the past. Cafe bar deli is a good all rounder place. Avoid most thai/chinese places as they are a fortune and tend to pass off as more upmarket and the food is not as authentic as you would get in the U.S.

If you like Indian try Shalimar on Georges Street or Jewel in the Crown on (Wicklow??) st. The latter is a more cosy place. Have a cocktail at the fitxeilliam hotel but be careful or you will miss dinner and be absolutely smashed as they are strong on an empty stomach (Unfortunate mistake I made once!).
Old Aug 26th, 2004, 06:26 AM
Original Poster

Thanks so much for your help, SiobhanP! I really appreciate it. Any suggestions on coffeehouses/cafes or must visit places? I like to get suggestions from people who actually live there and know the great places to go to.

Thanks!

Melissa
Old Aug 27th, 2004, 06:18 AM

Hi there , its absolutely no problem to wear jeans and a nice top etc in most restaurants in dublin city. I really must tell you about the most fabulous italian restaurant- it is called toscana and is central being at the junction of parliament st and dame st. it is run by a charismatic neapolitan!!! the food is great and inexpensive- for a great breakfast in dublin or a good coffee and dessert go to queen of tarts beside toscana it is gorgeous-
have a good trip enjoy
Old Aug 28th, 2004, 01:25 PM

Go to Botacelli, it's a great Italian restaurant in Dublin. Its located in Temple Bar, I think its Temple Bar street. Its really small but its the best Italian food I have ever eaten and its cheap. Don't eat at any American sounding restaurants, like Jonny rockets. They have really bad service and food. Dont forget to go to the Guiness factory and have a couple of pints its the best tasting beer especially in Europe, I did not really like Guiness before I whent over to Ireland but now its my favorite beer. For a great bar try the Bleeding Horse in Dublin, It was the best bar that I got to go to in Europe. I just got back from Ireland and wish I was back. If you have anymore questions about Ireland or nearbye countries feel free to ask
Old Aug 28th, 2004, 02:27 PM

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
Botticelli is good, but we had a great (and cheap) meal at Bocaccio on Dame Street, right by Temple Bar, another Italian restaurant.

Another 2 thumbs up for the Bleeding Horse pub.

And jeans are fine most everywhere.
Old Aug 29th, 2004, 09:47 AM

We loved Botacelli and ate there many times, but that was three years ago. They make a great tiramisu.
Also you can dress any way you want as long as it's not too scruffy.

Hope you have a great time
Old Aug 29th, 2004, 09:53 AM

Oops! It's actually called Botticelli.

http://www.eventsoftheweek.com/v2.php?id=117
Old Sep 6th, 2004, 01:19 AM

I had a pretty bad experience in Boccacio. I have nor eaten in Boticelli as Its in a heavy tourist area but I will giveit a go. Personally I would reccommend.

There is a good place on off grafton street called Bellissimo and is reasonable as well as Trentuno for pizza pasta on the same street. I would avoid Temple bar form,ost food places due to prices and not the best quality etc. Il Baccarro in Meeting house square at the end of Temple Bar is excellent and more Northern style i.e meat dished etc.