Turkey in January?

Search

Turkey in January?

Search this Thread

Old Aug 16th, 2004, 02:38 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Turkey in January?

My family and I intend to go to Turkey next January, but we have many doubts about it:
-Is it too cold in January?
-Can we go by ourselves without a guide, or is it dangerous?
-Can we rent a car to go to Ankara and other interesting places besides Istambul? How are the roads?
_What are the most beautifull cities to visit?
PLEASE, any comment will be more than welcome as we are totally "lost".
My children are 21 and 14 years old, if that can help.
THANKS A LOT.
Old Aug 16th, 2004, 05:57 AM

It is undoubtedly not the best moment in the year. I think you agree on that.
Weather forecast are impossible, but try to find some weather statistics. Snow in Anatolia is by far not an exception.
If you only visit Istanbul and Ankara, you will not need a car, you can take the train or a plane.
It also can be bl..dy cold in January.

But why do you intend to go in January?
What do you want to see?
Old Aug 16th, 2004, 06:52 AM
Original Poster

Thank you for your help. We intend to go to Turkey in January,because school vacation. We would like to visit Istanbul, Ankara and Capadocio(?).Besides the weather problem (we are not warm weather lovers, we live in Brazil, where it is hot the whole year long), do you think it is safe to go by ourselves?
Any coments will be welcome!!!
THANKS!!!
Old Aug 16th, 2004, 09:52 PM

Hi Lery,

Snow in Cappadocia and also Amatolia is SO BEATÝFUL. After Istanbul you may fly o Ankara then RENT a car to continue your trip in Turkey. If you write here how many days are you going to stay in Turkey, I may write you a schledue.

Roads are good on the west coast but some roads between Cappadocia and Denizli (Pamukkale) are not good for Winter you have to drive carefully. Ankara Cappadocýa road is the CONNECTION ROAD between Turkey and Arab countries so you may see many cars, trucks, trailers.

Have a nice trip in Turkey

Sinan Akdeniz
Old Aug 17th, 2004, 01:45 AM

Turkey is FABULOUS. Can't comment on January (we were there in July), but on some of your other points:

Include Istanbul, Cappadocia (but not over-touristy Goreme - stay in Urgup and get a Gazi Tours day trip to Goreme and other places), and Ephesus (staying at Celcuk).

No don't get a car. Nor a train. Local friends of ours who live in Istanbul told us about overnight buses. Nevtur Coach Service is comfortable, and we took overnight long distance buses to save time and accommodation. (You need a few days in a pension or Otel or B&B in between of course).

Danger? No. The people are immensely friendly and hospitable and outgoing. Of course they want to sell you something, but be firm (unless you want to buy of course) but friendly and you'll find yourself being invited inside for a cup of tea and conversation in English. And guess what? They won't revisit the hard sell again - they just love talking to you and practising their English.
Hope this helps.
Old Aug 17th, 2004, 10:01 AM
Original Poster

THank you everybody for all the tips!
We intend to spend about 17 days in Turkey. Is that enough? If you (SINAN) wants to write me a schedule, it will be WONDERFUL! THANKS everybody!
Old Aug 17th, 2004, 12:17 PM

17 days great for a first time visit.
Ýstanbul 4 days, Ankara 2 days, Cappadocia 4 days and 5 days coastal & cultural trip and 2 days istanbul on your way back would be nice. Cappadocia under snow is great. If you are not familiar driving on snow & ice better to be driven. Coast is ok to drive since no snow but rain time to time.

I understand you want to make good use of school holiday so its gonna be a educational & cultural trip.

Have a lovely time in Turkey and drop a few line s if you want to join drinking hot wine in Cappadocian winter !
Old Aug 18th, 2004, 01:39 AM

Hi Lery,

As for time visitor you may have a tour like this:

1-3 days you may have tours in Istanbul then you may have TRAIN (sleeping train would be great for your. It Departs from Istanbul 6.00 PM then arrive to Ankara 7.30
4th day :Rent a car to visit in Ankara:

Ataturk Mauseloum
Anatolian Civilisation Museum (One of the important museum in Turkey)
You may have Turkish Lunch next the museum (There are many restaurant converted from old House)
Same day you may continue to drive to Cappadocia VIA TUZ (SALT)Lake or you may stay in Ankara 1 night then drive to Cappadocia same way (VIA Tuz Lake) But this time you may visit IHLARA CANYON.

5-6 days you can explore CAPPADOCIA. Such a nice lands cape.

7th day: Drive to Konya on the way Konya you may stay in AgzýKarahan and Sultanhani Cerevanserai on the silk road in ANATOLIA. Stay in Konya and feel some different culture of Turk. You will see many SELCUK buildings and olsa MEVLANA whirling derwishes.

8-9th Day Ýf you love Archaelogy you may drive to South of Konya to Antalya to see some ruins like Perge, Aspendos and Termessos. DO NOT FORGET TO VISIT Antalya Museum. Stay in the KALE ICI where you will see many hotels converted from Old House.

10th day You may drive to Pamukkale and see the COTTON CASTLE and HIERAPOLIS you may also have change to get YOUNG.

11-13th day Drive to Ephesus VIA APRODISIAS. Stay in Selcuk or Kusadasi 3 nights to visit some ruins like Ephesus, Miletus, Didyma, and Prienne. Do not forget to visit SIRINCE They have nice WINE.

14th day drive to North of Ephesus to see Pergamum and TROIA. Stay in ASSOS (Behramkale) town so beatiful and NOT TOURISTIC.

15th day you may drive to see EDIRNE and ARCHITEC SINAN's mosque and buildings are worth to see. You can stay overnight in Edirne.

OR

You may drive to BURSA another town in Turkey TOURIST MUST SEE. You may see some MOSQUES, SILK MARKET (if you love silk and very cheap) and soem Ottoman Sultans graveyard.

16th day DRIVE BACK TO ISTANBUL.
17th day BACK TO YOUR COUNTRY
SEE YOU IN TURKEY AGAIN

Sinan Akdeniz
Old Aug 18th, 2004, 02:16 AM
Original Poster

Hi Sinan,
I don't know how to thank you!! You are so very kind writing me such a detailed schedule. Be sure I'm gonna "study"it with much attention!
THANKS A LOT!
Sorry for the curiosity, are Turkish or live in Turkey? You seem to know everything about it! I will let you know about our trip when everything is decided.
Thank you again!!!
Old Aug 18th, 2004, 06:37 AM

Hi Lery,

Yes I am Turkish and I live both countries. 3 months Turkey Kusadasi and 9 months in USA NYC.

You can ask anything you want.

Sinan Akdeniz
Old Aug 18th, 2004, 08:32 AM
Original Poster

Is Sultanahmet a good place to stay in Istanbul? I've been researching in internet and this neighborhood seems to be close to major attractions. Am I right? Any other suggestions? How are the 4 stars hotels?
Thanks everybody again!
Old Aug 21st, 2004, 12:07 AM

Hi Lery,

Sultanahmet is in the center of History. You do not need any vehicle only walk and walk and walk. There are many hotels in Sultanahmet you have to choose one of them. Of course 4 stars hotel are good BUT you have to get some information about hotel that you are going to stay rather then "star"

Sinan Akdeniz
Old Aug 26th, 2004, 05:28 AM

Hallo Lery,
A friend of mine informed me about your questýon,so I'm writing you a late answer.I'm German and living half of the year in Germany and the other half in Cappadocia.So my friend wanted to help me for your trip,if you planning to come to Turkey/Cappadocia.If you want to stay there I can recommend you a brillant boutique hotel,you will feel like you are at home.We were there during christmas with my husband for 4 nights(a second honeymoon!!)Especially under snow you should experience it.
It's better I give you the web:: www.karlikevi.com/contact with Miss Didem(she is one of the owner and half German and speaks very good English,also she is archeologist and she can inform you about history,unbelievable.)Her mail adress is [email protected]
Also I want to thank Sinan for his nice words of this country,we think they deserve it.
Old Aug 31st, 2004, 11:35 AM
Original Poster

I would like to thank you, July40 for your answer.I also would like to make 2 questions about Cappadocia:
-what is the temperature in January in Cappadocia? Does it snow (my son does not know the snow, it would be a marvellous experience to have some snow in such a beautiful and unique place!!)
-do you think we could visit the region by ourselves, without a guided tour? How would we go from place to place?
Sorry to make so many questions...
Thank you again!!!
Old Sep 6th, 2004, 01:27 AM

Hi Lery
Sorry again for my late reply but to get me front of the computer is a big problem!!!
Anyway,here are your answers:
/First of all I have to say that,mostly
I spend my Christmas and new year evening,also spring time in Cappadocia.
Last year it was snowing.Also there is the mountain Erciyes,where you can ski.You can drive there daily and it takes nearly one and a half hour from Cappadocia.
/I think for the first time , you should take a guide at least for couple of days till you get use to.But not for everyday.For the rest of your stay you can make walking tours,rent a car and make a picnic(even it's winter,you can not believe how warm it is under the sunshine).But you can arrange that with the hotel where you will stay.Because the weather situation will effect your programs.
Please Lery don't hesitate to ask me more,just be paisoned about my replys.
Best wishes