Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Dublin- is 7 hour layover enough time to go see something?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 14th, 2005, 06:02 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I land in Dublin about 8:30 am. I depart about 4:30 for Venice. Is this sufficient time to do or see something? (never been there) If so, any recommendations? What about my luggage? Thanks
Old Apr 15th, 2005, 05:47 AM

ttt
Old Apr 15th, 2005, 06:19 AM

To the best of my knowledge there is no "left luggage" at Dublin airport...so that could be a problem. Otherwise though, you would have time to get to the city centre - the bus takes about 30 minutes, so you would have plenty of time to perhaps take the "hop on hop off" bus tour, or take a look at Trinity College & the Book of Kells, or stroll down Grafton Street. I'll see if I can find out about the luggage situation for you.
Old Apr 15th, 2005, 06:21 AM

good news about left luggage - got this on the Dublin Airport website

A left luggage facility is available in the Car Park Atrium, directly across the road from the Terminal, for short and long term storage of luggage.

The facility is open from 06.00 am to 11.00 pm daily and rates vary depending on the size of baggage. The Greencaps porterage service is available in the Departure and Arrival Areas to assist passengers with their baggage.

Special group and tour rates are available and an executive service package is offered. Arrangements can also be made for the porters to meet you in the car park and bring your luggage to the terminal for check-in.

A car key holding facility exists for passengers at a charge with Greencaps in the Car Park Atrium. The person collecting the keys must be the person nominated and must have photographic identification when collecting the keys. Those leaving keys must also provide a reference of where their car is parked.

For further details phone the Greencaps on (01) 814 4633
Old Apr 15th, 2005, 06:29 AM

Hi Beaux,
You will have enough time to see something but not much.

I would suggest that you take a taxi to Grafton Street (about E15)and arrange with the driver to be collected again at a specific point about 1.45pm.

This should give you 3-4 hours in the centre of Dublin.

At one end of Grafton street is St Stephens Green and Trinity College (which houses the Book of Kells) at the other.

There are lots of lovely shops and eating places there.
The Powerscourt Centre is halfway along the street and signposted It was at one time the Town House of the Powerscourt family and the stable block and mews has been turned into a delightful shopping mall where artisans and Irish designers sell their wares. There are also lots of cafe's. Brown Thomas is Dublin's equivilant of Harrods and is at the Trinity end of the street.

Don't bother with The St Stephen's Green Centre as there is nothing different in there.

Not sure about your luggage, don't know if there is a left luggage area at the airport, hopefully somone else can help on that one.

Do make sure you give yourself at least 45mins from the centre to get back to the airport. Dublin traffic can be horrendous!!!

There is also an airport bus but as you have so little time I think a taxi would be better.

Old Apr 15th, 2005, 06:37 AM

we used the left-luggage facility when we had a dublin stopover a few months ago--i don't remember the rate but it was inexpensive and the guy working there was quite friendly too...

we stayed with friends while we were there and basically just hung out with them but we did find time to go to the national gallery in merrion square--if you like vermeer, they have a really nice painting by him in there...i was hoping to see the book of kells at trinity college, but unfortunately they were closed as we were there on a bank holiday...enjoy your time, we were there only briefly ourselves but we were quickly taken by the place!
Old Apr 15th, 2005, 01:14 PM
cod

You could take the Air Coach (it leaves from just outside the terminal) into the city centre (and then back again) for €12-00 return. You can get off in O'Connell Street or Stephen's Green. See Trinity college and the Book of Kells, and walk through Stephen's Green. Tehn you can walk back to O;Connell Street, and down Henry Street to see some shops, and get the bus back to the airport.

Old Apr 16th, 2005, 07:56 AM
Original Poster

Thanks all for the good advice.