Dublin Guesthouse

Search

Dublin Guesthouse

Search this Thread

Old Jul 27th, 2004, 09:48 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Dublin Guesthouse

Message: This is my first post to the forum and I incorrectly posted to General Interst. Sorry for the duplication.
Is anyone familier with the Georgian Court Guesthouse at 77-79 Lower Gardiner St., Dublin 1 ? Is the area safe? Is it far from the Nataional Library and the National Archives?
We are four fifty-something housewives travelling to Ireland in mid-October to do genealogy research. We are spending 3 nights in Dublin before renting a car and travelling to Kilkenny, Blarney, Skibbereen and finally to fly out of Shannon and will be staying at B&Bs. We were hoping to keep our Dublin hotel rate below $50.00 per person per night? Is this unrealistic? A couple of our gals have knee problems, so long distance hiking might be an issue.
I understand that Dublin has changed a bit since my last visit thirty years ago! I need a refresher.

Thanks in advance.
Old Jul 27th, 2004, 11:29 PM
pnestor

I think that if you check out many posts regarding 'Dublin Accomadations' you'll find that most fodorites will advise not to stay in this area of Dublin! I am a native and would also advise this. Not a very nice area to spend your vacation. Stay south of the river, 'the south side'.

Cailin and SiobhanP have given some excellent advise on Dublin accom, do a search for their names.

Personally I would recommend the Pembroke townhouse in the Ballsbridge area of Dublin. Rates are around 90 euro per room, not per person and includes breakfast. When I've had friends staying over in Dublin they have found this place to provide excellent standard of accom and also it is only 5 mins walk from great restaraunts/bars and 15 minutes walk from St. Stephens green.

Enjoy!

Old Jul 28th, 2004, 01:49 AM

I agree, Click on my name and there are several listing for reasonable accommodations. I don't like Gardiner street and feel you can get better value for your money in nicer areas

Lewt us know when you narrow it down

Cheers

S
Old Sep 8th, 2004, 09:03 PM
Original Poster

Thank you for your kind advice. We have changed our reservations and are now booked at Albany House on Harcourt St.. We hope this is a nice place.
Old Sep 9th, 2004, 12:39 AM

I don't know of Albany House, but Harcourt Street is definitely a better location. It's within walking distance of Stephens Green & Grafton Street.
Old Nov 10th, 2004, 11:18 AM
Original Poster

I recently returned from Ireland and wanted to update my experience with Albany Guest House at 84-85 Harcourt St., Dublin 2. It turned out to be a good choice in a good location within walking distance of Grafton St. and the government offices we needed for genealogy research. The price was decent for Dublin, the rooms clean and comfortable, and the breakfast included in the price was nicely presented with a nice array of choices. Albany House does not offer any meals other than breakfast. The staff was friendly and helpful when needed.
Since the building is a charming Georgian original there are no elevators and the stairs are something to contend with for anyone with mobility problems. Our party did include two people who could not handle large numbers of steps. We were assured as late as two days before arrival that two rooms were available on a lower level that only involved two steps down. Upon arrival we were shown rooms on the second and third levels. Further investigation showed that the rooms we were promised were in fact vacant, so we were moved to two nice rooms only two steps down from the main level. This was the only gliche in our three day stay.
I would recommend Albany House for anyone who is looking for a nice, quiet place to stay within walking distance of many of Dublin's attractions in city centre. It would fit most travel budgets.
I learned a lot from this forum and certainly appreciate the advice shared by other fodorites.

Old Nov 11th, 2004, 12:27 AM

What numver on Harcourt street was this and what was the price? I would be interested to know. Glad you had a good time

S