Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Dublin Airport to Ballyvaughan-How long of a drive??

Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 3rd, 2008, 12:50 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Pick up car at Dublin airport and go directly to Gregan Castle near Ballyvaughan in County Clare. Anyone have an idea on how long this should take?? Thanks
Old Feb 3rd, 2008, 02:02 PM

AA Roadwatch say it will take 3.5 hours.

www.aaroadwatch.ie/routes/route.asp

However it will depend on the time of the day you are travelling.

I would say it will take longer and I live in Ireland and I am a fast driver!!

I would estimate (taking traffic into consideration) 4-5 hours.
Old Feb 3rd, 2008, 02:19 PM

I'm not a particularly fast driver; I generally observe speed limits.

I'd allow four hours for the journey, and budget an extra 30 minutes if it were time-critical.
Old Feb 3rd, 2008, 07:02 PM
Original Poster

Thanks Fodorites- It is hard for a Texan who has never been to Ireland to figure it out from looking at a map.
Old Feb 3rd, 2008, 07:05 PM

I HOPE you are picking up the car AFTER spending time IN Dublin, NOT right after getting off the plane ...

I am NOT a local --a fellow Yank ---, but I have driven in Ireland a LOT. Local or Yank DOES make a difference; so does first time, or TENTH time.

Since you have never been to, or driven in, Ireland before, I would expect the drive from the Dublin airport to Ballyvaughn to take between 5 and 6 hours.

While it IS a mostly-good road, and not particularly filled by overwhelming scenic wonders, I can't imagine that "YOU" ('a family of four', so I'm assuming two children) will be happy to sit in the car for 4-5 hours, non-stop, so that's why I would add the extra hour ...

If you ARE, in fact, planning to make this drive immediately upon your arrival, PLEASE reconsider, or else fly into Shannon instead.

Bob
Old Feb 4th, 2008, 12:28 AM

I have to say Bob is right and we have mentioned before...do not underestimate Jet lag and the stress of driving the opposite side of the road. There have been several road deaths this weekend (Usually young people and from other countries) and personally I do not want you to be out and get tired, veer over and hot me or someone I know! Take it easy or fly into shannon which would be much closer.
Old Feb 4th, 2008, 01:55 AM

Several years ago I flew into Shannon and went to Gregan's Castle. I stopped and had some coffee on the way. It was an easy drive.

You will like Gregan's Castle.

Enjoy........
Old Feb 4th, 2008, 04:07 AM

Just to follow up on other posters - please sleep over in Dublin before you attempt to drive across Ireland. Do not underestimate the combined effect of jetlag and driving on the other side of the road.

Traffic leaving Dublin for the west is nearly always heavy with several confusing junctions - you will need all your wits about you.

We drove from Dublin to Lahinch (near Ballyvaughan) last year and it took five hours without a break. Be nice to yourselves and rest before you drive.