Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Ireland - Need Advice on car pick up - Dublin or Galway or elsewhere?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 11th, 2004, 12:01 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Arriving in Ireland the end of August for 8 nights, flying into and out of Dublin. Now, the question is where should we pick-up the car? We are spending the first night in Dublin and then heading to the country. Should we pick up the car in Dublin (take a cab back to the airport?) or take a train to the country? (maybe Galway?). We are going to drive around teh countryside for 8 days. Any advice would be greatly appreciated!!
Old Aug 11th, 2004, 12:17 PM

I'd pick it up at the Dublin Airport. I don't think the time savings on the train across the country is that great.

Bill
Old Aug 11th, 2004, 12:45 PM
ldb

The next time we go to Ireland, we'll fly in and out of Shannon. Dublin is a terrible place to drive. The traffic is horrendous! Once you get out of the city, Ireland is wonderful.
Old Aug 11th, 2004, 12:53 PM

I would pick it up at the Dublin airport when you're ready to leave the city (no need for a car in the city). You can easily take a bus to the airport. We did it and had no problems.
Old Aug 11th, 2004, 05:34 PM

We have just returned from our first 2 week trip to Ireland. I would agree that you do not need a car in Dublin. Public transportation will serve you just fine. The roads between Dublin and Galway are good, compared to the roads "in the country." They are very,very narrow, have totally blind curves, no shoulders, and are lined on each side by stone walls (fences). Remember too, that you'll be driving on the left-hand side of the road. We found the whole experience quite challenging! If you can afford an automatic transmition rather than a manual one, I would advise it...just one less factor to worry about. Good luck!
Old Aug 12th, 2004, 08:59 AM

Is there some compelling reason that you are spending your first night in Dublin? If not, here's what I would do: There's a CityLink (private) bus service that goes from Dublin airport to Galway hourly. With the 'jet lag' and such I would spend 4-hours on the bus and arrive in Galway about the right time for a hotel (or B&B) check-in. The last time I did that I caught the 9:30 AM Citylink bus and arrived in Galway at lunch time. I had lunch at Garvey's Hotel (on Eyre Sq.) about 100m from the Tourist Office where the CityLink bus ends. That way you can pick up your rental car the next morning when you will be 'raring to go.' You also avoid the airport pick-up and turn-in surcharges: probably enough to pay for one person's bus ride.

You can either do the same when you return to Dublin or you can drop off your rental car in Dublin.

CityLink has a website.
Old Aug 12th, 2004, 12:09 PM

A side note about renting cars in Ireland - I've made about 8 trips to Ireland. Three times I've been told that due to "late returns", the automatic that I had reserved would not be available. Thank goodness I took driving lessons on a stick shift 50 years ago!
Old Aug 12th, 2004, 01:17 PM

I too have been to Ireland many times and basically agree with the previous posters as far as possible options. My recommended option would be to take a taxi into Dublin and make arrangements to pick up your rental car at any of the Dublin area car rental agencies - all of the major car rental companies have locations in the city. And while many posters make mention of driving on the LH side of the road, it's really easy to get under control; and if you're away from the downtown core of Dublin, it's also fairly easy to get on the major roads that will lead you out of the city. And while Dublin has changed considerably over the years IMO it still a city worth visiting.
Old Aug 13th, 2004, 12:31 PM

I was in Ireland this Spring for 2 weeks. Picking up the rental car in Dublin was easy, Hertz had great rates. Drove straight to Wicklow area on first day (to NewtownMountKennedy Marriott, great resort). This drive is only 30 minutes or so, and you can do Powerscourt on the way. Not too much for your first day. We did a horseshoe swing around the island to Galway, dropped the car off at the Galway airport. Took the train back to Dublin and were THEN able to enjoy Dublin without jet lag or the rental car.