dropping car at Milan train station

May 1st, 2006, 09:28 PM
Original Poster

dropping car at Milan train station

After driving from Piedmont we are planning to drop rental car at Milan central train station to get train to Varenna. How difficult is it to get to train station from autostrada on a Thursday afternoon? Should we consider dropping car at either Linate or in Lecco -- almost to Varenna? Seems like a lot of extra driving. Appreciate your thoughts on ease of car rental drop off at train station in Milan. thanks.
May 2nd, 2006, 12:01 AM

Can't really help, other than to say we did it the other way round. ie. leaving Milan train station - having taken ages to locate the rent a car pick up and then drove to Varenna at 4.00pm. It wasn't that difficult with a decent map. Yes, we made a couple of wrong turns but nothing drastic, but of course we weren't coming off the autostrada. It really shouldn't be too hard and if it is the most convenient place to drop off then do so. Where are you going after Varenna? You wouldn't consider keeping the car and driving there? Admittedly we didn't really use the car much - but a thought.
schnauzer
May 8th, 2006, 02:56 PM
Original Poster

ttt
May 8th, 2006, 03:41 PM

I would not drive into Milan. Why not drop it at the city of Como and hydrofoil to Varenna?
May 8th, 2006, 04:40 PM

I actually did it, but it was challenging. Even with a very good map we made a few wrong turns.
May 8th, 2006, 06:59 PM

Hi alison, to answer your question one would need to know how much experience you have driving in heavy city traffic. My DH always picked up and delivered our rental cars in downtown Milan. But he was one that actually enjoyed driving in cities, Rome, Naples, Milan etc. Most people do not consider this "fun" and for good reason. Because you have asked I assume that you are feeling a bit worried about this and consequently if that is the case I would strongly suggesgt that you do not return your rental car at the Milan train station.
I do wish you a fun and safe time in beautiful Italy.
May 8th, 2006, 09:17 PM
Original Poster

dropping at como and taking the hydrofoil is a great idea! Anyone done this and know off-hand how close the rental car drop offs are to the hydrofoil landing and how convenient it is? Also, what is "DH"?
May 8th, 2006, 09:21 PM
Original Poster

and, would drop-off in Como and taking hydrofoil be easier than drop-off in Lecco and take train to Varenna? pros and cons of each? I reallize i'm down to the nitty gritty of minutae on this one, but really appreciate help so returning car and getting to varenna is as easy and hassle-free as possible.
May 9th, 2006, 12:29 AM

Schnauzer , I am interested in your comment about difficulty finding the rental cars at Central station. We will be picking up there in September and any heads up would be appreciated. How is the drive OUT of Milan ?
May 9th, 2006, 02:14 AM

As to the "difficulty" of dropping off in Come vs. Lecco: have you any idea as to the location of the rantal offices in these two places?

The train trip from Lecco to Varenna is relatively short and you get excellent lake views along the way.
May 9th, 2006, 02:14 AM

Hi Marko,
We hired through Avis. No hire companies are allowed to advertise (read - put up any signs) in either the railway stations or the airports. Handy huh? The office is located outside of the train station itself. Just on the main street outside, but we spent forever running around the station itself. As you exit down the large staircase to the street Avis is on the left hand side, on the opposite side of the road at the end. Hope this makes sense. I had to ask a policeman who fortunately spoke english, his companion did not. From memory I think there were other hire companies outside on this road as well. Don't bother looking in the station, cos they ain't there!!

Avis gave us a map and clear instructions how to exit the main area, it actually wasn't too bad, except we needed to turn right off a main street which actually ended up being a road higher than the one we were travelling one - so you needed to have exited the road to the left hand side and gone on an exit ramp up to that level. We had to go further along, turn around and make our way back.

We were going to Varenna and should have followed the signs to Lecco, but I had a complete brain malfunction at the Avis counter and told the fellow we were going to Como (thinking Lake Como), he of course directed us to Como city itself. We then had to work our way across country, which was not difficult to navigate but very time consuming on narrow single lane roads. Oh well, live and learn. So when asking for directions out of Milan be very specific with your destination, it made a huge difference! Good luck.
May 9th, 2006, 02:48 AM

I have caught a train there but never picked up a car, we are heading towards Parma and on to La Grazie near Portovenere. Thanks for the info !!