Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Paris Neighborhood/hotel best for older teenagers?

May 4th, 2006, 03:42 PM
Original Poster

Our famiy (with two sons, ages 21 and 18) will be spending a few days in Paris and I was wondering which arrondissement would be most interesting to use as our base. Do you have any hotel recommendations? We will be requiring two rooms, so I'd like to keep it around $200/room per night. Thanks for your help!
May 4th, 2006, 03:46 PM

My college aged daughters really enjoyed the student atmosphere in the Latin Quarter, the 5th arrondissement.
May 4th, 2006, 03:48 PM
Original Poster

That would be my guess as well. I just want to (try to) keep an open mind!
May 4th, 2006, 04:08 PM

Might try the Hotel de Nesle, in the 6th, if I recall correctly.

http://www.hoteldenesleparis.com
May 4th, 2006, 04:32 PM

My 21-year-old daughter, her boyfriend and friend really loved the Marais neighborhood (near the Pompidou center)--spent hours shopping for funky edgy stuff as well as art at the stalls, and they loved the Pompidou center, hip bars and cafes.
May 4th, 2006, 08:21 PM

The Latin Quarter is probably the best choice. The best night life for young adults currently is supposedly up around the Bastille, but the choice of hotels there and other amenities is worse, so the Latin Quarter might be a better home base. Certainly the Latin Quarter is more scenic and pleasant if one isn't interested in the club scene.
May 4th, 2006, 08:41 PM

You'll be happy in the Latin Quarter. Your sons will be even more happy in the Marais or around the Bastille or near rue Oberkampf in the 11th arrondissement. The latter three are in ascending order of "cool" - and descending order of prettied-up.
May 4th, 2006, 11:07 PM

See my post under . "Which arrondisement, which Paris hotel?" This hotel is in the Latin Quarter, and some of the rooms have three or four beds. It's web site is at Balcons.com . This to me is one of the best locations in the city. Metro is only a couple blocks. Lots of bakeries and restaurants close. Also MacDonalds too, of course. We pick up food at some of the take away places close by, and take back to the hotel to eat. They also serve breakfast at the hotel too, but kind of expensive, we thought. Hope this helps. Skip in Montana
May 5th, 2006, 09:47 AM
Original Poster

Thanks to all for your input. Dave_in_Paris, do you have any specific hotel recommendations? When you were commented, "you'll be happy..." in the Latin Quarter, was that a plural you or singular?
May 5th, 2006, 10:35 AM

If the young people have any sense of adventure, I would recommend the Bastille (rue de la Roquette, rue de Lappe) or Oberkampf areas. Of course, if they are gay, the Marais is appropriate.
May 8th, 2006, 08:15 PM

Oberkampf or Canal St Martin, definitely. Isn't Belleville starting to be cool as well? I wouldn't think the 5th's charms would appeal for long to the younger crowd. And, does it matter, really where the hotel is, since you/they can hop the Metro or the Noctilien bus anytime?
May 8th, 2006, 08:48 PM

I agree with the 5th. The Hotel Select, on Place de la Sorbonne, is worth a look. Great location!
May 9th, 2006, 01:45 AM

Young French people want to be in the east, around Bastille, on rue Charonne, farther afield on or near rue Oberkampf or even in - gasp! - rundown suburban Montreuil). There's nothing wrong with St. Germain. It's lovely and comfortable and corresponds to a certain idea of Paris, but it's no longer "cool."

The hotel choices are limited in the cutting-edge neighborhoods, which I love for their lingering authenticity and despite the fact that I'm now embarking on my seventh decade. In those parts, a rental apartment might be the better way to go.

More fundamentally, do you want to shape a major element of your trip, where you base yourselves, around the (possible or probable) tastes of your children?

May 9th, 2006, 02:52 AM

I guess my daughters aren't so cool, but they did enjoy being in the Latin Quarter because there were so many kids their age, not going clubbing particularly, just going about their business, going to class, hanging out around the squares and grabbing crepes for snacks.

I spent a week there in February with my younger daughter, who goes to college near Boston, and she said the Latin Quarter felt like Cambridge. When we took the bus to the Bastille, as we crossed the Seine she said, "now we're in Boston".

Every neighborhood I've stayed in has its appeal.