Driving trip...where to go??

Search

Search this Thread

Old Dec 12th, 2004, 10:42 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am picking up a car in Munich in April or May and I plan on about a two week (plus or minus) driving trip (then the car gets shipped back here). I have been to Europe many times, but only to major cities; and other than a week long trip along the French riviera, I have not driven in Europe. I would love suggestions about a possible itinerary; I am thinking about a day or two in Salzburg then to Northern Italy and France, finishing in Paris (I can drop the car in Paris, or many other locations), but I am totally open to suggestions. I would love to sprinkle the trip with some great hotels and great restaurants, but would like to balance that with small, easy (inexpensive?)homey B & B's. I am a forty year old man traveling alone, though I may meet up with one or two of my friends for a few days along the way.Thanks in advance for your help.
Old Dec 13th, 2004, 01:30 AM

That could be a good trip. Drive South from Slazburg via the Grossglockner Pass into Northern Italy. Visit the Dolomiti area, including the Val Gardena and the Alta Badia. Go for some hikes or a mountain bike tour. Drop down into Venice for a couple of days to wander around. Then, over to Verona, Milan and through the Aosta into Courmayer and Chamonix. Then, wind your way up to Paris.

Are you picking up a BMW? Those cars are great on the mountain passes but make sure you discuss driving the passes with the dealer. It's a new car and you may need 'break in'?

Once you are more sure of your route, I (and others) can make more specific suggestions on places to stay and eat.

Cheers,
Jan
Old Dec 13th, 2004, 02:03 AM
ira

Interesting trip from Jan.

www.viamichelin.com, www.mappy.com and www.maporama.com can help you with routes and driving times.

I think you will also want to get the Michelin maps for your route as well.
Old Dec 13th, 2004, 04:56 AM

If you are picking up a BMW, then congratulations!
I've done this twice before. The first time in my 3-series, my wife and I just followed the BMW suggested driving in the Alps and drove for 5 days around Germany and Switzerland. Returned my car in Munich.

Then just last year, we picked up my car in Munich and drove to France (Provence) and then to Madrid where we dropped off my 5-series for shipping.

I'm looking forward to my next one. BTW, take advantage of the freebie lunch at the Munich center. Also, the factory tour was well worth it.

Drive safely.
Old Dec 13th, 2004, 05:45 AM

Received 79 Likes on 8 Posts
Assuming you like to drive and don't mind the idea of hours behind the wheel, I'd head over the Brenner Pass, <i>and if the weather and conditions allow, </i>through the Dolomites to Cortina, then down to Venice for a day or two; then across to Genoa and along the Med to Barcelona. I expect BCN is an eligible drop point too.

Reason being, April or May are pretty early for too much touring in the Alps, but just right for the Mediterranean coastal areas. Northern/central France or Germany may well be wet, and who wants to hold it down because you can't see past the spray from the trucks?

My aversion to dropping the car in Paris is also a bit personal - we did a Euro delivery on a Snaab a few years ago and dropped it with a Harms agent in Paris, in whose garage the car was vandalized. Welcome to Paris. Bleh.

If it is a Bimmer (and not, say, an antique Porsche or 300SL Gullwing ), be sure to post your trip report here and photos over at Bimmerfest.com. Happy travels. What fun.
Old Dec 13th, 2004, 08:15 AM

Good for you. You have a ton of good options, but I would head south and skip Paris--something like this:
Salzburg
Castles of Bavaria
Dolomites-Val Gardena]
Italy lakes--perhaps Como
French riviera[ drop car in Nice]

What are your drop off options?
Old Dec 13th, 2004, 08:52 AM

Ooh! I like the skip Paris option. Chamonix down to Nice and around the Med to Barcelona. Oo la la!
Old Dec 13th, 2004, 09:41 AM

If the OP was picking up a BMW, then I'm afraid Barcelona is not a drop-off/shipping location.

Nice is a good location and a nice, solid, fun drive from Munich.
Old Dec 13th, 2004, 11:45 AM

I guess I have been lucky driving in the alpine countries in April the weather has been beautiful and Spring is just popping out. It was beautiful when we were there. We enjoyed doing the Salzburg are then back across to Innsbruck, over the pass through Mittenwald and Garmish and Oberammergau then wound our way to Fussen. Then we took off through Austria for Switzerland, through Lucern and ended up in Zurich. A great car trip. We knew spring in the mountains can always be chancey on the weather but we are optimists and it worked out ok.
Old Dec 17th, 2004, 10:44 PM
Original Poster

Thank you all for your responses. My computer broke just after I posted the question, hence the delay in responding. Yes it is a BMW (545i); and I am really excited. I think the advice to forego Paris is starting to make a lot of sense to me. &quot;Bobthenavigator&quot;, I am liking your suggestions, but I have done the French Riviera/Provence thing, so, maybe I'll tweek that a little. I was hoping to do the Loire Valley, but maybe I'll save that for another time; I really need to narrow the scope if it is only a 10-14 day trip. I need to check my drop-off locations if I forego Paris - maybe northern Spain, or circle back a bit to Switzerland or Germany.

Has anybody dealt with a car in Milan and/or Venice? how difficult (and pricey) is this?

Thank you.
Old Dec 18th, 2004, 06:01 AM

Your drop off options will dictate your last stop. Perhaps Genoa if not Nice. I am just thinking geography.
Old Dec 18th, 2004, 07:14 AM

Received 79 Likes on 8 Posts
I looked at the BMW site for dropoff locations - Madrid is the only one in Spain, Paris and Nice in France. All the Italian locations are with Harms &amp; Co, followed by one of their people physically driving the car back to Munich for transshipment. Although I'm sure their record is fine, the idea would trouble me just a tad. I'd go with Nice or Spain; route yourself through the Dordogne and Languedoc if you don't want go to Provence. Nice ride, BTW.
Old Dec 18th, 2004, 10:32 PM
Original Poster

Thanks Gardylou and Bob. When I wrote my last message I was unable to access BMW's drop off locations, but as you have said, it looks like Nice is the way to go, or possibly looping back to Munich, depending on trip duration and flight details, which I am finding fairly difficult to coordinate, even 4 months in advance. I, too, am uncomfortable with the Italian option. The Dordogne sounds like a great idea. Well, thanks for all the help, and now I know enough to do a rough plan.
Old Dec 19th, 2004, 04:22 AM

Dear Fishskis:

Based on my recent experience (first time) driving in Normandy, I can recommend a dashboard-mounted GPS for turn-by-turn directions through an external speaker. I bought a Garmin, but Magellan offers similar products. The Garmin map that I loaded in my handheld was terrific, right down to the most convenient Esso station. I had Michelin maps with me and never had to consult one through the whole experience. Happy motoring! Gradyghost
Old Dec 19th, 2004, 04:59 AM

Congratulations! You'll love the experience. We picked up our 525i in June 2002, drove around for 10 days (Alsace &amp; Bavaria). We're going back in May 2006 and looking at driving to Northern Italy/Lake Como area as part of our itinerary.

I'm more comfortable with the Munich drop-off, mainly because I love Munich and spending the first &amp; last night.

Please post a trip report. I would be interested in your experience and driving times, etc. Good luck!
Old Dec 19th, 2004, 09:20 AM

I like Budman's suggestion of driving back to Munich. You'd have as much fun a time visiting small towns in Europe as spending a lot of time driving your brand new 545i on the roads where the car was meant to be driven on.

Thr first time I did the BMW Euro delivery thing, our whole trip were spent on just 3 days of driving around Germany/Switzerland and returned the car in Munich. A little bit of peace of mind with the familiarity of returning a new car in the place where we picked it up from.

Once you drop-off, don't forget to take with you all the roadside emergency items, first-aid kits and even the standard BMW flashlight.
Old Dec 19th, 2004, 06:55 PM
Original Poster

Thank again for the replies...Grady, my car will have built in NAV, so I am covered. I am very close to solidifying everything with a Munich dropoff, which I think will be the easiest, and will give me maximum flexibility and freedom, as well as making the air reservations easier. Now if only the dollar would get about 30% stronger in the next 3 months, everything would be great.