Driving to Venice

Search

Driving to Venice

Search this Thread

Old Jul 18th, 2006, 08:17 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Driving to Venice

I need some help figuring out how to get to Venice. We are driving down from Milan and are unsure where the best place to park our rental car would be. Then...how do we get ourselves to our hotel in Venice. We are staying at the Metropole. If anyway can share their experiences with us, we would be very grateful.
Old Jul 18th, 2006, 08:43 AM

The least expensive way is to park across from the RR station in Mestre and take the #2 bus from there to Piazzale Roma. We paid 50€ for 7 days. See this:

http://www.rosadivenezia.com/_img/kl...en/info_en.pdf

A caution: we failed to get off at the correct exit and got lost trying to find the station...
Old Jul 18th, 2006, 03:23 PM

You can park at the Piazzale Roma and drag your luggage down to a vaparetto, and get off at San Zaccaria and drag it to the hotel . (We've stayed twice ( at the Metropole) and enjoyed it each time. Another option is to park at Tronchetto (sp?)... big parking garages farther " up stream". (Lots of signs to direct you.) Then you can take a vaparetto to San Marco, etc. etc. Since space is limited at Piazzele Roma we have usually opted for Tronchetto. No matter which you chose, I would advise springing for a water taxi to take you to the Metropole. The water taxi pulls up to a canal entrance of the hotel and you enter thru a lovely vestibule and feel like a Doge. - OR... you can shlep the bags over several bridges (I think there are about 3 between San Marco and the hotel) and arrive thru the front door. Either way..... I think you'll like the hotel. (And very near is our favorite restaurant... Corte Sconta.)
Old Jul 18th, 2006, 03:42 PM

Pgertie-I think your closest and not too expensive option is to park, not at Pze. Roma, but at Tronchetto. The private parking garages of Pze. Roma are far more expensive. Check out this site "Tronchetto parking garage" (Tronchetto has a vaporetto stop).

europeforvisitors.com/venice/articles/tronchetto_parking_garage.htm

Otherwise, Tuck H's suggestion of the parking lot at Mestre train station is another good option, but you do then have to take the train, get off, and then catch the #1 vaporetto all the way down to San Marco, roll your luggage down the Riva degli Schiavone until you get to the waterfront Hotel Metropole. If you park at Tronchetto, you'll just step on the #1 vaporetto without having the extra train trip from Mestre, and the on and off the train with the luggage that such an option entails.

Btw, about the Metropole, I find it a hotel that is poor value for the amount of money spent to stay there, but it does have a nice little bar-otherwise, it's sort of funky with all the old junky stuff the owner has lying about in the glass cases in the lobby area.
Old Jul 18th, 2006, 04:23 PM
Original Poster

Thank you all for your help. We can only hope we get a nice room at the Metropole. Thanks for the tip about Corte Sconta. We've never been to Venice.
Old Jul 18th, 2006, 04:43 PM

Have a beautiful time in Venice pgertie. BTW, if you have time or it appeals to you, you could turn off and have lunch in Verona on the way to Venice. We always parked at the Piazzale Roma and took a private water taxi to our hotel but it sounds like going to Tronchetto Garage would be less expensive. I agree that parking in Mestre and taking the ten minute or so train to the Santa Lucia Train Station in Venice and than still having to take the vaporetto or a private water taxi to your hotel would be more of a workour for you since you will have you luggage.

BTW, do you have the website for your beautiful hotel? It is www.metropole.hotelinvenice.com

Their website does a terrific job of describing all the various places you can park and the transportation methods to their hotel along with the prices.

Have fun!!
Old Jul 22nd, 2006, 08:02 AM

topping